Status: My first story. All the chapter titles are taken from songs. Please read and comment! Thanks so much! :)

Here I Am, Alive

Underdog

Most people can look their best friends straight in the eye when they talk to them. I'm thoroughly jealous of them.

I met Grace Reynolds when I was a freshman in high school. She was known throughout my grade as "The Girl With the Voice", for most people believed her singing voice could very well cure cancer. In middle school, she was always the lead in our theater productions; nobody else even bothered to audition for the leading lady roles. But the strangest thing was, Grace wasn't cocky about her talents in the slightest way. She was a geniune person, and had a reputation for always being ready to lend someone a hand.

I was your classic invisible girl. I loved doing theater in middle school, but I was an average talent, so I never landed more than an ensemble role. I had a few friends, but never quite fit into any crowd or clique. I floated through life with one goal; to be as unnoticable as possible.

After I auditioned for my first high school theater production, I was an absolute wreck during the few days before the cast list was due up. I didn't care whether I had gotten a lead or not, I just simply wanted to make it in. The day the list went up, I bolted out of my seventh period class at the end of the day over to the drama bulletin board in the hallway. I nearly skidded to a stop in front of the board, and scrolled my eyes down the cast list. When I spotted my name under the ensemble section, my heart skipped about three beats.

"WE MADE IT!" a voice squealed from behind me. I turned my head to see the famous Grace Reynolds peering at the list over my shoulder. Although we had been in productions together for years, I had no idea Grace even knew my name. We had never spoken a word to each other in our lives.

"I can't believe it!" she flashed me her signature grin, her deep green eyes sparkling with delight. "Aren't you excited?"

"Very," I smiled back, feeling a little awkward.

She twirled one of her dirty blonde curs as she ran her finger down the list. "Oh man, Carisa and Natalie made it too! This is going to be so fun!" She looked back at me. "Well congratulations!" she gave me a bear hug, holding me tightly before releasing me and scampering down the hallway. Here was a girl I'd never really communicated with, hugging me as if I were her best friend.

I didn't know that was exactly what I'd become. Or that it would break me until I was nothing but jaggered bits and pieces.