Status: My first story. All the chapter titles are taken from songs. Please read and comment! Thanks so much! :)

Here I Am, Alive

I Never Meant to Brag, But I Got Him Where I Want Him Now

Dave was a great guy, so it didn't surprise me when he told me he had been in a serious relationship before me.

"Her name was Jess," he explained, sounding almost irritated when he spoke her name. "We dated for a little over a year. "

"Whoa," I said, impressed. "That's a pretty long time for a high school relationship."

"Well, half of it wasn't too pretty," he stated. "She started hanging out with a different group of friends and whatnot, and she just changed from the person she used to be when we first started going out. And she started fights for no reason at all, and we ended up taking a few breaks, and it just got so messy."

"Who broke it off?"

"Me," he replied, straightening up. "I just wasn't happy anymore. But thank God Grace or Carter didn't bring you to one of our family parties while I was dating Jess. That would have been AWFUL."

"Wait, why?" I questioned with curiosity.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "I would have taken one look at you and wanted you so badly. That would have been awkward as all hell."

I laughed at him, but forgot about Jess until a few weeks later, when Dave and I had been dating for a little more than three months.

"You will never believe who texted me today," Dave began when we were on the phone one night.

"Who?"

"Jess. She was begging me to get back together with her."

My heart sank. Even though I was sure Dave cared about me, I didn't want anyone else liking him as much as I did. "Oh."

"Yeah, it was insanely weird. She kept telling me she'd have sex with me, and all this bullshit."

Now my heart hit my stomach. I had already warned Dave that it would be a WHILE before I would be ready to do something like that, and he had zero issues with my hesitation in that department. But now, here was a girl offering him what I wouldn't give him. Just perfect.

"And the best part is she has a new boyfriend!" he went on. "What the hell?"

"That's really strange," I told him, attempting to scrape my heart off the floor. Why did this hurt so badly?

"Oh I know. So I just told her off."

A smile played around my lips. "What do you mean?"

"I told her that I was never going to get back with her, and she was going to need to accept that. I said I couldn't be bribed with sex, and that I was so happy with my new girlfriend that I would never consider anyone else."

Talk about glueing a heart back together. "Aw, you're so sweet," I grinned.

"Well I was just telling her the truth. She wasn't happy, but at this point I really don't care."

After a while the conversation shifted, but I was still smiling like a complete idiot. I'd never won an unspoken battle like that before. And oh, did it feel good.