Status: My first story. All the chapter titles are taken from songs. Please read and comment! Thanks so much! :)

Here I Am, Alive

Hold on Another Day, Cause Love is on its Way

Despite Grace's negative opinions, Dave and I were still dating nearly a month later, and I'd never been happier.

Little things, things that made him HIM, fascinated me. I learned that he had tried out for basketball when he was in first grade simply because he was tall for his age, and ended up falling in love with it, and had played ever since. He was the captain of his physics team at school, and could solve any math problem I gave him at the drop of a hat. He could make the best crepes I'd ever eaten, and sang whenever music came on in any venue. But more than anything, he made me smile when no one else could, which made me fall for him harder every day.

A few days before our one month anniversary, Grace had another one of her scares.

At the start of our junior year of high school, Grace began to desire a boyfriend. It wasn't your average teenage loneliness; Grace took things to an extreme. She would talk of feeling alone CONSTANTLY, and pretty soon it was all our conversations revolved around. It seemed as though nothing else was on her mind. She wanted to be loved, and she felt a boy could do that for her.

As in junior high, everyone still worshipped Grace at school. She had tons of friends, and was always surrounded by people. I was her best friend, so she was covered in that department as well. But somehow, she still felt completely alone in the world. And no matter how hard I tried to show her how blessed she truly was, her loneliness drove her into a deep depression.

At first, it was just the constant distant moods and talking down on herself. Then she chose to decorate her wrists with razors.

I was losing my best friend.

One night, Grace told me she wanted to end it all. She said it was the only way to get away from what she was feeling. She truly couldn't see any other option.

I cried, and begged her to stay. I cried and threw a fit so large that Grace eventually gave in to me, and promised she'd go on, but only because she knew I'd be hurt. She claimed that I had always been a good friend to her, and she didn't want me to suffer along with her.

Unfortunately, I did just that.

A few times a week, Grace would threaten to take her life. It would always occur at night. I'd need to call her and beg for her to stay, and try to boost her ego enough to live another day. Some nights she'd hang up on me, or stop texting me altogether, leaving me alone to worry if she was alive or not.

I woke up every morning for a year praying I would see my best friend in school that day. It was the most pyschologically damaging experience I've every gone through.

When Grace started dating her boyfriend, the scares stopped. But I was still left with scars. I was afraid to talk to Grace sometimes, just because I feared her threatening to leave this Earth again. I would cry for no reason, and felt as though I had been through a war. In a way, I had.

Grace's distant, mentally-abusive boyfriend dumped her a week after Dave and I had begun dating. Grace was alone again, and the scares returned a few weeks later.

This time, however, I had something I hadn't in the times before.

A gift.