And Peace Shall End

Four Horseman Apocalypse

Seeing Matt in the motel room was one of the most pleasing sights Brian had ever seen. He looked a bit beat up and had an ice pack resting on his cheek, but the fact that he was still alive was the only thing that mattered.

"Matt," he exclaimed as he rushed into the room. Matt stood up at his voice and the two friends hugged each other, both grateful that the other was still alive. They patted each other on the back once more before they drew apart. "That thing convinced us all that it was you until it killed Johnny. But fuck, I thought you were dead, man."

Matt nodded at his words. "I would have been dead if they hadn't turned up," he said and nodded towards where Sam and Dean were stood. The two men were standing nearer to the doorway in conversation while Matt and Brian were closer to the far wall.

Brian had managed to clear up his face a bit in the journey to the motel, wiping most of the blood off with his shirt and using the tissue that Sam had given him to get off the blood that had begun to dry. When he'd got out of the car and looked at his face in the side mirror, he realised that it was mostly blood that had made his face look and feel bad, and that the most damage he'd got was a split lip, busted eyebrow and bruising on his cheek. And with knowing that the thing was a shapeshifter and not human, he found himself grateful that there hadn't been any more damage.

"What else happened, Brian?" Matt asked which made Brian snapped his attention back to the room. He looked at his friend before he ran his hand down his face. He knew for a fact that all their friends were dead as were their wives, but he didn't truly know whether his and Matt's wives were dead, although the creature said that it had killed them and Brian didn't dare to think it wasn't telling the truth.

Suddenly extremely tired, Brian let out a weary sigh. "They're all dead. Johnny, Zack, Arin, the lot of them, as well as their wives and..." He stopped for a moment, taking in a deep breath before continued. "It killed everyone, Matt."

The words made Matt freeze for a moment, and he tried to think about whether he could think of a loophole in everyone but he couldn't. "You mean...?"

Brian nodded and Matt felt his heart drop. His wife was dead, his sister-in-law was dead, all his friends were dead, and he had practically nothing left – except for Brian, of course. Sadly, though, that was just as depressing as if he'd had completely nothing left.

They were disturbed when someone just appeared in the middle of the room, making both the men jump. It was excusable seeing as they weren't used to the supernatural world and had only just gotten their first taste with it, something that they would never forget even if they wanted to.

"Cas," Dean greeted the angel.

"It's getting worse. Lucifer's destruction is approaching catastrophic and he's only just begun," the angel said, walking across the room. Sam and Dean exchanged glances and for a moment it was forgotten that there were two other man in the room. That is, of course, until one of them spoke up.

Having seen the man just appear in the room suddenly and hearing the name Lucifer, Matt couldn't stop himself from speaking. "What's going on?" he asked and all eyes were on him.

"Who are they?" Cas asked.

Dean gestured to Matt. "That's Matt and the other is--"

"Brian," the man filled in.

"—Brian. We've just finished a hunt before you decided to pop in, Cas," Dean explained nonchalantly. "And this is Castiel, he's--" He didn't get to finish his sentence because Castiel butted in.

"I'm an Angel of the Lord," he stated, his tone holding a hint of annoyance.

Hearing that he was an angel was just too much for Brian. He put his hands up and barked out a laugh. "An angel? Come on, I know that shapeshifters exist, but angels? That's a little far-fetched, even with today's events," he exclaimed, looking between Matt and the man who'd just proclaimed he was an angel. Did these guys seriously think he and Matt were that wound up by the recent events that they would believe something like that? That hardly seemed sane in his mind, although before that day shapeshifters didn't seem sane in his mind, either. They were just things that existed in stories and tales, such things that got passed down through the generations.

Castiel stepped closer to Brian, his expression hard and his tone low. "We are in the middle of the apocalypse and you find my existence questioning. You humans astound me with your ignorance."

"Dammit," Dean muttered to himself and rubbed his chin. Sometimes having an angel as a friend was difficult, especially when the angel didn't have the knowledge like humans did and didn't know of most of the human ways. Right now, the angel didn't have the knowledge that not every human knew about the apocalypse, most of them being blissfully unaware of it as they watched the devastating news on their televisions of recent horrors.

"The apocalypse?!" Matt gasped. "As in the four horsemen apocalypse?"

"I have no knowledge of any other apocalypse," Castiel replied to the man's surprised words. His seriousness to a question that wasn't actually a question was no longer surprising to Sam or Dean, having been around the angel enough to be somewhat used to it.

Brian gripped Matt's arm. "I think I need to sit down," he muttered before he almost collapsed onto the bed, his legs given in from the after-effect of the day.

The angel's attention went from them and back to Dean before he cocked his head to the right slightly, almost like he was hearing something from far off. "I must go," he said abruptly before disappearing from the room at the sound of flapping.

"Son of a bitch," Dean exclaimed. "Dammit, Cas." He shook his head before looking at the two men in the room. Great, now they had more explaining to do.

Image


Castiel appeared back in the room a few hours later. Both Matt and Brian were conked out on one of the beds, light snores coming from them. Sam was sat at the small table on his laptop and Dean was nowhere to be seen.

"Cas," Sam greeted without taking too much of his attention away from the screen.

"Where is Dean?" the angel asked, and that is what got him to take his attention away from the laptop screen.

Sam looked at the man standing in the room and thought he looked a bit more frazzled than usual so something must be up. "What is it, Cas?" he questioned.

Castiel looked from the door, to the bed where the two men occupied, and then back to Sam. "Famine is close."

"The horseman?" Castiel nodded. "How close?"

Just then Dean opened the door to the room and stepped inside, carrier bag hanging from his hand. He'd gone out to get some food and some more salt, opting to go during the night because of the cover of darkness in case he ran into something on the way. Since Lucifer had been set free and the apocalypse had started, too many things had been happening for them not to be weary about who they bump into.

"Cas," Dean greeted when he caught sight of their angel friend. He then looked at Sam. "I didn't forget the pie this time."

Sam rolled his eyes at his brother's words before closing his laptop. "Cas says that Famine is close by," he said, catching Dean up with why the angel had turned up.

Dean, having sat on the free bed and pulled the pie out of the bag, looked up at the two. "Can't a guy eat some friggin' pie without the apocalypse ruining it," he complained, looking at the food longingly.

Sam just chuckled at his Dean's words as Castiel looked over to the other bed. "Of what use are they to you?" he asked

"Sam here offered them a ride into the next town in the morning," Dean responded.

One of the two on the bed stirred but didn't wake. Dean began eating his pie and Sam got up from the table he was sat at. The night never seemed to be calm or uneventful for the two, something that they found themselves all too used to.

"Should we get going?" Castiel asked and both brothers looked at him in confusion. "To locate Famine."

Dean groaned. "Come on, Cas. We're humans, we have needs," he argued. "And right now eating pie is my need." He raised his fork of pie in emphasis.

"He's right, Cas. We need to sleep as well," Sam agreed.

The angel looked between the two humans, his expression remaining as neutral as ever. "I shall locate Famine while you deal with your needs." With that he swiftly disappeared from the room.

Sam went over to the sofa in the room and collapsed onto it, running a hand over his face. The apocalypse was hard work, but all he had to blame was himself. At least not many people knew that he was to blame. God only knows how much more trouble he and Dean would encounter if that were the case.