Status: I plan on updating this weekly on Wednesdays

Running From Shadows

Chapter One: Senses

My lungs burned as the muscles in my legs went numb. I ran while weaving in and out of tree lines until the first glimpse of light broke in the east. Something told me not to stop yet; that instinct kept me alive this far, so I figured I had better listen to my gut.

The sun peeked over the treetops as its golden light illuminated the forest. I heard the low beastly growling start again. I turned to see a figure. It was almost like a shadow, so frail and thin, but it was much smaller than the first creature I had slain. I stood as still as the trees while staring into the oblivion of the creature. It took a miniscule step towards me. Panic set my legs in motion.

I ran as fast as I could. There was a clearing ahead brightly lit with the glorious rays of beaming sun. I could hear the giant leaps of the beast behind me, but the sound only made me run faster. Adrenaline raced through my veins causing that superhuman speed I somehow managed to tap into to propel me out into the open meadow. I stopped when my feet touched the center of the field. I searched the dense tree line for the beast. I found nothing except the darkness of the shadows of the forest. A voice surrounded me as I searched.

“You are the slayer of Rydon.”

“No, I don’t know any Rydon. Who are you?” I screamed. The shadow appeared on the northern edge of the field. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck raise as goose bumps appeared on my naked arms. I could see the figure a little more clearly. It looked like a muscular, black panther like wolf.

“You have slain the previous human soul that I inhabited.”

“That monster was attacking me,” I hissed. The creature came forward stealthily. Its skin—I couldn’t tell if it was skin or slick fur—was dark, its eyes looked a little like a blind man’s eyes, and its claws appeared to be silver slivers of razor sharp daggers. It stopped and swiveled its head from side to side searching the area ahead.

“Rydon was a foolish brood with a bad temper and a large appetite. You either got in his way, or you smelled like food.”

I didn’t make a sound, held my breath, and stood as completely still as I could. The creature couldn’t see what it was chasing, but it could hear. A gentle breeze floated on the air catching my scent. Laughter floated on the wind as it inhaled deeply.

“You do smell delicious.” Five steps forward; sniffing the air as it went. Each step was strategically placed as if the creature could feel movement. One more step and it would be close enough for me to reach out and touch. I managed to silently change my position to ready myself for an attack. Suddenly, the creature veered off my path. Distant crunching noises echoed as someone ran into the forest to the east of me, the beast followed.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is your weekly update. If I didn't make it clear in the Prologue A/N, I'll only post this once a week since I'm in my senior semester of college. I have a lot of pressure on my shoulders. If anything changes and it gets harder I'll try my best to keep this story going. Comments are much appreciated and if you see a misspelling please don't hesitate to correct me. Thanks :)