Status: I plan on updating this weekly on Wednesdays

Running From Shadows

Chapter Two: Off The Ground

I wanted to follow the crunching noises, but that was the way that beast ran off. I didn’t want to alert anything close that I was moving, just in case that thing had back up. I stood completely still as I scanned my surroundings. The open meadow was definitely not the best place in the world to hide, but I’d figured something very important out. Whatever that creature was, it couldn’t see but it could hear and smell extremely well.

Taking a deep breath I carefully placed my feet around the drier leaves and twigs making sure to make as little noise as possible. I needed to find water and shelter. I wanted to find out who else was out here in these woods, but most importantly I needed to remember. Who I am; where I came from; why am I here; what I need to do; when are the best times to move; and how to stop it? I also needed to figure out how to hide my scent.

I managed to make it quietly to the western tree line. A light breeze continuously floated through the crisp air causing goose bumps to rise on my uncovered arms. I pulled my short sleeves as low as I could get them before tying my long hair back. I figured the more space I put between me and that creature the safer I would be, but something it said struck me.

‘You have slain the previous human soul I inhabited.”

How could that thing inhabit a human soul, and what on Earth did it want with me? I began walking faster when I didn’t see or hear any immediate danger after I entered the forest. Soon I was running, dodging low tree branches while ignoring the stinging of the twigs whipping against my arms and legs. Somehow, I managed to continue to gain speed even though the roots were beginning to rise from the earth.

A scream in the distance startled my run causing me to nearly trip. There was a tall tree ahead of me. It was time to see if I knew how to climb; something in my gut was telling me to get off the ground, and it was too strong of a feeling to just ignore.

***


Fog began to roll across the low hills as clouds covered the sun. In the middle of the day it was dusk dark, the black cloaks gathered in their circle. Hyphron stood in the center. The cloaks chanted softly causing Hyphron to grow to his full muscular height of nearly eight feet. Once he reached his potential the purple cloak began to rise from the ground.

The cloaks stopped changing as the purple cloak gave the signal. Hyphron bowed in the center of the circle. “What have you to say?”

“The girl, sire, is intelligent,” Hyphron reported.

“Has she outsmarted you?” Laughter arose from the circle.

“No, she has not. My eyes are weak, sire, but she will be captured soon,” he growled.

“What else have you?”

“The group Rydon was after; those who were trying to diminish us have been dissipated. Their leader managed to escape, but he is alone.”

“Good. We shall be free soon my friends. Our faces shall be completed. We must have a proper sacrifice, and Hyphron you will bring her to us.”

“But, sire, I thought…”

“No, you do not think, Hyphron. The girl is not yours; we shall find you a suitable soul soon.”

Hyphron growled lowly, but bowed to his master nevertheless. The circle dispersed as the purple cloak dissolved. “I will bring her home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a day earlier. I plan on updating on Sundays, But I love this story. So far I have two more chapters prewritten to post. I'm going to stick with the once a week schedule so I can hopefully stay ahead of myself so you guys don't have to wait for updates.

Remember Comments are always appreciated.