Status: I plan on updating this weekly on Wednesdays

Running From Shadows

Chapter Eight: Memories

The Earth split open as the surrounding buildings shook to the ground. Eoryon let out a harsh cry as lightning flooded the sky. His happiness was taken from him when the last breath flowed from Isa’s lungs. There was nothing left to do except to pass his power on to his daughters. The Earth stopped shaking, but the clouds of lightning hardened.

“I give my daughter of the sun the ability to control her surroundings and the peacefulness that kept her mother so pure,” Eoryon spoke to the clouds as three of his men brought Isa’s body from the cabin. “My daughter of the moon shall also control her surroundings, but she will never be able to control emotions the way that her mother could.” The men carefully lowered Isa’s body into the crack in the Earth before backing away from her. The quake began a second time, but it was not nearly as harsh as the first; dirt slowly filled the grave.

“What have you done,” screamed a human voice over the strong wind. Eoryon spied, from behind his cloak, the mayor standing on the other side of Isa’s grave.

“I did nothing but love her,” Eoryon cried. His daughters cried from inside the safety of a cave that was inhabited by the Sérieux women.

“What have you done,” the mayor growled as he approached.

“I loved her,” was Eoryon’s only reply.

The townspeople appeared on the hill behind the mayor. The four Sérieux males stood guarding the cave. All of the members of each group held hatred in their stances, all except Eoryon who held nothing but despair. “Attack us now, and you will surly murder your own granddaughters,” Eoryon whispered as the wind echoed his voice.

“They are not my granddaughters. They are nothing more than abominations of nature,” the mayor cried just before one of his men fired a gun.

***


I heard a noise in the forest close to me. A twig crunched as someone stepped down. “Neya,” someone screamed. I was thrown from my memories. All I saw was Hyphron’s eyes. He nodded his confirmation of my thoughts.

“Dreigon,” I screamed.

“He will take you back to the rebel campsite. You cannot stay there for long, but make sure before you leave that you retrieve Urielle’s journal. It will tell you everything you need to know. “

I nodded as he got off of me. I pushed myself up from the ground. “Dreigon,” I called again as I followed the noise of crunching leaves. “I’m over here!”

***


Clouds darkened. No speck of light could possibly pass through the thick tree branches and the dark clouds. Rain misted the brush. Lightning flashed across the sky as the purple cloak rose from the ground. A grimace was displayed across full pink lips encased in pale skin.

“I have wretched news for you my brothers and sisters. She is remembering, and she is also capable of getting her hands on our secrets,” the voice was cold and harsh.

“What shall we do, sire,” Morphyne hissed.

“Zygon and Kalyon, I call you forth to do your worst. She cannot make it to the rebel journal.”

Two black cloaks entered the center of the circle from opposite sides. They faced each other as they removed their hoods. Never had two men who were so opposite as these two stood face to face with the same goal in mind.

The man on the right had long black hair with deep, despairing black eyes. He had muscles, but he was not bulky. There was something about the man that made his heart pure, but he was lacking his soul. He was tall and pale; this man could have passed for a businessman who only enjoyed the fresh air of the night.

His counterpart on the left had long blond hair with eyes as crystal clear as the beautiful ocean. He wasn’t very tall, and he was bulky with muscles. He could’ve passed for a fun loving surfer in normal society, but this wasn’t normal society. His heart was blackened by his evil ways, but his soul was perfectly intact.

“We accept your challenge, sire,” they chorused.

“Go now, to the eastern clearing. They will come to you my brothers. And we shall be rid of Neya for good this time.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm posting this early so I can take the rest of the week to read over it and write next week's chapter. I've been posting back chapter that I wrote.... I don't even remember how long ago.

I just want to say thank you for subscribing, recommending, and commenting. I hope you've enjoyed the story so far, and I hope I don't let anyone down as I try to revive it.