‹ Prequel: Trouble-Maker
Sequel: Summer Boy

Infinite

A & R

January seemed to fly by in a blur. By the 17th of the month, I was on my way to meet with my very first unsigned band since being rehired at Epitaph. Luckily the singer's bar was just in LA, so I didn't have to travel far to see them play.

"Ronnie, you can't come," I repeated again as I got ready to head out, side stepping around him as I did so, "I'm going to be working."

He huffed and leaned against the doorway. "You're going to watch a band play some music. Who do you think knows more about what it takes to make it than I do? I've done this twice, if you don't remember."

I turned away from my reflection in the bathroom mirror and gave him a look. "I remember," I stated, pushing him out of the doorway, "but you still can't come. I don't think they'd appreciate me making it into a date night." I padded down the hallway in my shoes, determined to make it out of the apartment without him.

"How do you know?" he asked difficultly, following me down the hall to the living room, "Maybe they're fans and would love it if I showed up in their bar."

"They're not really in your demographic, babe," I responded, grabbing my bag from the couch. I slipped the strap over my head and situated it across my chest before I turned around and hugged the man to me, my arms over his shoulders. "As much as I'd love you to come," I said softly, meeting the eyes that I'd come to love, "You can't. So go out with the guys or order in or something. I'll be home late."

Ronnie looked completely unamused and moved away from me to drop back down onto his spot on the couch, stepping over Charlie to get there. He kicked his shoes off and flipped on the TV all in one swoop. "Take the Escalade," he grumbled, motioning towards the keys on the coffee table, "You don't need your car stalling in downtown Los Angeles."

"It's not that bad," I defended, grabbing the keys off the table despite my rebuttal. As much as I loved my car, I wouldn't give up a chance to drive Ronnie's beautiful, black on black, technological Cadillac Escalade. "I'll see you later, baby," I promised, kissing him on the lips, "Don't wait up."

"Wouldn't dream of it," he responded, watching with pouty eyes as I headed towards the apartment door. "Atticus?"

I turned around and smiled at the site of my fiance pouting on the couch with his dog sleeping at his feet. "Yeah?"

He dropped the pout and smiled at me, expression easy and somewhat hopeful. "Have fun," he said, nodding slightly, "Tonight's your first show working again so just make sure you enjoy it."

I smiled softly and nodded back to him. "I will, thanks. Love you." I left the apartment and closed the door behind me. I walked down the stairs and out of the door, and hit the 'unlock' button on the Escalade's keychain, grinning excitedly as it honked and flashed its lights at me.

I pulled myself into the driver's seat and started the car, wondering if Ronnie was watching somewhere, making sure that I wasn't already breaking his baby. I pulled out of the parking lot and headed in the direction of the bar after typing the address into the built in touch-screen GPS system.

I had to admit, I was nervous. During my first stint at Epitaph, working the same job, I'd met plenty of bands and helped a few of them get signed to my father's major label. The second time around though, my taste in music was altered and my life was completely different. Of course I wanted everyone to be good enough to be signed to Epitaph, but chances were that less than half would make it, and turning people away was always the hardest part of the job.

The singer's bar wasn't too far from the apartment. I parked near the back of the lot, since most of the spaces were full, and headed inside, paying the fifteen dollar entrance fee even though I wouldn't have had to if I explained who I was.

In front of me was a round bar with bartenders in the middle serving people. Beyond that was a stage with a young band on it. "Hey everyone, I just want to say thanks to my uncle for letting us play here tonight." The singer looked around the room and lifted his head with a smile as he saw one man sitting in the back. "So thanks Evan, it means a lot to us." The boy and his band started playing loudly. While they had some raw talent, they were a bit clumsy on their instruments and lacked the lyrical skills that the label was looking for. I was grateful that they weren't who I was here to see. I didn't want to turn anyone away on my first 'audition'.

I caught sight of the man he was thanking and headed in that direction, passing between people who were trying to get to, and away from the bar. I readjusted the strap of my bag more comfortable across my chest and tapped the man on the shoulder as he sat facing towards the stage. "Evan Masterson?" I asked over the loud music, causing him to turn around and grin widely.

"Atticus Gurewitz?" he asked, although it was obvious he already knew who I was. He stood up and held his hand out to me.

I nodded and shook the man's hand. I was nervous and I hoped that wasn't obvious. It was my job to make them feel comfortable. I grinned. "Yeah, it's great to meet you. I'm really forward to seeing you guys perform tonight."

He nodded enthusiastically and pointed towards a door off to the side. "Follow me," he called over the music, "I want to introduce you to the rest of the guys!"

Without another shouted word, I followed him to the door that was painted black. People moved out of our way and I could tell that this was a place where everyone knew everybody else. They all watched with nervous smiles on their faces as I followed the bar owner. They knew who I was, I was sure of it.

"Now that we can actually hear," Evan laughed when we walked into the room, motioning towards a large couch, "Go ahead and have a seat. I'll round up the band for you to meet."

"All right, thanks," I replied, sitting on the end of the couch. Getting to know the band was sometimes the hardest part. Getting wrapped up in their personalities made you want to sign them. However; it could only be about the music. That was what it would come down to in the long run, their personalities wouldn't hook fans or make money. Their talent would.

Evan came back into the room with three guys all around the same age, barely twenty-five to thirty it seemed. I shook all their hands and they sat around me. On the farthest end from me was Ian, their bass player. He looked like a typical late twenty-something year old, in a pair of dark jeans and a t'shirt. Next to him Evan sat, wearing a black button up with the sleeves pushed up above his elbows. Next was Will, their lead guitarist and the oldest of the group. Their drummer's name was Andrew and he sported a sleeveless shirt and a pair of jeans that could've been Ronnie's for how tight they were.

"It's good to meet you guys," I said politely, excitedly smiling at the motley group, "How long have you been a band?" I folded my hands in my lap and sat up a little straighter.

"About three years," the drummer answered, tapping a stick on the rubber of his shoes.

I chatted with the guys for another twenty minutes before a guy who was obviously younger than them burst through the door. He was halfway through his sentence before he noticed me and closed his mouth. "I'm sorry, guys," he apologized quickly, running the palm of his hand over his short hair, "I didn't realize you were in the middle of something."

Will shrugged his shoulders. "It's cool, Chance, what's up, man?"

The early twenty-something year old smiled at me quickly before addressing his friends. "Jett is almost done with his set. I was wondering when you guys would be ready to go on?"

Four faces turned to me. I shook my head and motioned with my hands. "Anytime you want," I admitted, putting a smile on my face, "I'm here for the music after all."

The guys all stood up and excused themselves so they could get ready. They fidgeted with their clothes and hair before they breezed past Chance and headed out to the floor, waiting for the younger band's last song to finish.

Chance nodded towards where they went as I stood up. He smiled boyishly. "Come with me," he instructed, "You're not even going to have to think twice about signing these guys."

I stood up and grabbed my bag to follow the guy out to the front of the stage. I flipped open my bag and grabbed my camera, hoping to get some pictures and record some sound for my "boss" to listen to. Before I could sign anyone, I had to run it past a guy called Bruce and my father. The first choice was up to me, but the final decision was mutual.

Chance stood by me for a few minutes until Ian appeared at side stage and motioned for the younger guy to join him. Chance frowned and turned to me. "I'll be right back," he promised, "You okay for now?"

I grinned at his concern. "I've been to my fair share of concerts in venues much bigger and rowdier than this," I reminded him, watching as he smiled sheepishly and then took off to help his friend.

I snapped a picture of the band's backdrop and then lowered the camera as Chance appeared at the side briefly, a little girl sleeping in his arms. I watched from the corner of my eye as he took the child to the room we were just in and then appeared again without her, only to rejoin me at the stage within minutes.

He pulled up his loose-fitting jeans and sat on the edge of the low stage, glancing at me as I looked back to him. "Is she yours?" I questioned, nodding back to the room.

"Oh, god, no," he said quickly, shaking his head, "My family would kill me if I showed up with a kid. She's Drew's. He's a single dad, so I watch out for her while he's playing." He shrugged. It was no big deal to him so that made it seem like a reoccurrence.

I chuckled at his denial and stepped slightly closer so he could hear me over the peering cheering at the bar. "That's nice of you," I commented honestly, "Is she going to be okay back there by herself though?"

"Oh, yeah." He nodded. "She's out like a light. She'll probably sleep through her dad's entire set." He wiped the palm of his hand on his thigh. "What about you? Any kids?"

I shook my head. "Nope, not yet."

"But you're married," he stated, sounding almost as if it was a question. He dipped his head towards the ring on the third finger of the hand that was holding the camera.

I moved the camera to the other hand and twisted the ring around so that the diamond wasn't showing. "Engaged, actually," I clarified before looking back up at his face.

He just nodded, his eyes on the silver band. "Well, congratulations. Do you love the guy?"

I gave him a look. "Don't most people love who they're marrying?" I asked, wondering where that questioned came from. I couldn't help but smile at his forwardness. "But yes, I love him."

Chance smiled and nodded again. He glanced back at the stage when someone began checking the microphones and I could tell from the way he watched that it was usually his job. "So, why didn't you drag him a long tonight?" he asked, leaning on the stage, "Not really his scene?"

I laughed at the irony and answered him. "I wanted to be professional," I admitted with a proud smile, "I didn't think bringing my boyfriend along would seem that way."

"Does he know anything about music?" Chance asked, leaning back on his elbows as another man spoke into another mic. "If he does it might've been good to get a second opinion."

"He's actually in a band," I explained, talking proudly of the man I was going to marry but also slightly embarrassed that I'd made him stay home now, "He's on the Epitaph label."

Chance grinned and crossed his arms of his chest. "So that's how you met," he muttered playfully, "What a lucky bastard. What's his band called? Maybe I've heard of them."

"They're called Falling in Reverse," I answered, semi-proudly. I loved being connected to the band and telling people about them. It was like dating someone with a really amazing job and just wanting to show them off. I looked at the guy next to me and he looked so surprised.

"Shit, really?" Chance asked, suddenly looking around the filled room for someone.

"Are you a fan?" I questioned, nodding.

He shrugged and pointed at someone. I looked over as he motioned for the singer of the younger band to come over. "Not me, personally," he replied, "I haven't listened to them much, but Jett never fucking shuts up about them."

The young singer walked over to me and his uncle's friend, a genuine smile on his face. "Hey Chance, what's up?" he questioned, leaning against the stage next to his uncle's friend.

Chance turned around so he was facing both of us. "This is Atticus," he introduced, "She's the girl from the record label that's gonna sign the band." He grinned, overly confident, and clapped hands with Jett, who easily agreed with him.

"It's nice to meet you," the younger sister said to me, holding his hand out for me to shake, "I hope you like their music. They're definitely going to surprise you."

Chance spoke before I could answered, leaning back against the stage. He crossed his arms over his chest and smirked at the boy. "Guess who she's dating," he said, holding the information over Jett's head, "You're never going to believe it."

Jett looked at the man like he was insane and frowned, sidestepping slightly. "I don't know," he said slowly, glancing between Chance and I, "Who?"

Chance kept grinning as he answered him. "One of the guys from Falling in Reverse," he answered, laughing as Jett's expression blanched. Then his eyes widened and he quickly turned towards me.

"Shit, no way?" he asked, directing his words at me, "You're friends with Falling in Reverse? I knew they lived in the city, but I can't believe you know them and I can't believe I met you! Who are you dating?"

I chuckled at the teenager and watched his reaction to hearing Ronnie's name. He shook his head, denying the whole thing. "No way, no. You have to be playing a joke," he answered, "I mean, you're the closest person to him and you're here." He laughed and couldn't wipe the smile off his face.

"Yeah, we're engaged," I reassured, grinning as well, "He actually wanted to come tonight, but I wouldn't let him." When I saw the look on the boy's face, I instantly felt bad for making Ronnie stay home. It would've made Ronnie happier to come and now I knew that it would've made Jett Masterson's night too.

He covered his face with his hands and bounced on the balls of his feet. "Aw man," he muttered, shaking his head, "I almost got to meet him and everything."

"I'd call him and have him come out, but I took his car," I added, biting my lip as the boy turned away quickly, practically in anguish, "I'm sorry, I'll try to bring him by sometime."

He pretended to labor his breathing and then looked at the door of the little bar. "Look on the bright side," he said to himself, "Ronnie Radke's car is in the parking lot of my uncle's bar and there's a shot he could be here in the future." He turned to me starkly. "Do you mind if I go check it out?"

"Just, uh," I injected, feeling awkward that he'd really want to go look at Ronnie's car, "I guess, but I can't give you the keys or anything," I answered, watching as he started backing away, "And please don't mess with it or anything."

"I won't," the boy replied easily, taking another step in that direction, "but I mean, Ronnie tweets about this car. I at least have to get a look at it. I'll be right back."

Chance laughed as the boy ducked through the crowds, calling to his bandmates as he headed outside to look at Ronnie's car. "Shit, I think you just made his life," Chance said, shaking his head as three of the younger musicians raced outside.

"I feel bad that I made Ronnie stay home," I admitted, dropping my hand to my side, the camera going with it, "He wanted to come and he would've made Jett's night, and I forced him to stay home and watch TV."

"It's okay," Chance comforted with a shrug, "If he would've walked in while Jett was playing, the boy would've ruined his entire set." The younger man stood up and turned as Pariah Conviction took the stage, walking out with alcohol in one hand and instruments in the other. Chance shouted loudly, clapping his hands together.

"Hey everyone," Evan said on stage, getting the ball rolling, "Thanks for coming out tonight. It means a lot to us and to my nephew-" He paused and looked around the room for the boy. "Who seems to have left already... That you came out to see us play. Tonight, we've got someone extra-special in the crowd. The lovely Atticus has come from Epitaph Records to see us play tonight! If we impress Ms. Gurewitz, there's a chance we might end up on the Epitaph label!"

The crowd cheered and clapped in my general direction. I smiled up at the band and shook my head at the people around me. It was just doing my job and there was no guarantee that they would make it. The cheers made me slightly uncomfortable, but I really wanted the band to blow me away like everyone said they would.

"Well, we're going to get started now, if you know it, go ahead and get into it!" The band started up exactly at the same time and I took to my camera, switching it from picture to record.

Chance sang along with every word, losing himself in the music. For me, seeing a young guy enjoy something so much reminded me of the times before I had to worry about FIR making every tour date, and sound checks, and rehearsals. For the fans, it was pure music, not business, and the band on stage made it clear to everyone that music was most important.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I'm sorry I scared some of you with the chapter title! Nobody's dying and this is not the end! Trouble-Maker hit 70 chapters! This is only in the 20s, do you really think it's done here? There's so much to come. So. Much.

Thanks for the four comments on the last chapter! As you can see by the quick-ish updating, it definitely helps me write and get into the story. I'm really excited to get the ball rolling and start on the direction I want this story to go. It's taken me 28(ish) chapters to get there, so yay. :D

It's half a month until FIR leaves for tour, Atti's just met a new band that she either has to sign or get rid of, and there's this dude named Chance in the picture now.

Let me know what you're thinking! :) I want to update again tonight, but I really want some comments first. It's either updating tonight or rewriting some of Hamlet for my AP Lit class, it's up to you!

(By the way, Chance's picture is on the summary page now. Go check it out!)