What Makes You Beautiful

the breakup.

I knocked on the door of my best friends house. I knew he would be home, or at least I hoped he was. It was late, maybe he was sleeping, then the door opened.
“AJ, what’s wrong” He asked letting me inside.
“A bunch of us were having a bonfire down a little ways and I got bored and tried” I replied. He looked at me and he knew I was lying. “Okay fine. Brody and I got into a fight and I left.”
“What was the fight over this time” He asked as we sat in the living room on his couch.
“He lied about where He was the other night. I didn’t even yell, I just asked and he got all hissy” I told him.
“You want to crash here tonight” He asked.
“Please.” I said.
“The guest room is pretty much the same as it was the other night you were here” He said.
“Thanks Sid. You’re the best” I said hugging his neck.

I headed upstairs. Since I was home in Halifax for the summer, when I wasn’t working, I was usually at Sidney’s place. I barley get to see him during the hockey season, I always wanted to spend as much as much time as I could with him. It’s hard having your best friend who is a mega hockey star. I was lucky and proud to call my best friend, Sidney Crosby. Though that didn’t always sit well with my current boyfriend, who got jealous easily.

Sid & I grew up together, our houses were right beside each other and our parents were pretty good friends. Even when he moved away for hockey, we were still close as could be. I was there for all his big moments, gold medals & stanley cup. He was there when I needed him, when my mother passed away when we were teenagers, or when I just needed to vent about school or guys.

The next morning I woke up and headed downstairs, of course Sidney was all ready up. He had breakfast all ready made. I smiled and sat down.
“How was the morning workout” I asked.
“Pretty good” He said “How are you”
“I’m fine” I said. We ate then I did the dishes. I went back up stairs and changed back into my shorts and tshirt from last night.

“You work today” Sid asked as I walked back down the stairs.
“Yes, at two. I should get home and shower” I said.
“Taylors coming over tonight, Mom and Dad are going away,” He began “If you’re bored after work, you can join us for movie night”
“That sounds fun, I haven’t seen Tay in a while” I said “Thanks again for last night”
“Anytime” He said. I gave him a hug and headed out the door.

Brody sent many messages to my phone. I finally looked at them in the morning, I called and he was still angry so I just hung up. I didn’t want to deal with it. My dad wasn’t home when I got back. I showered and got ready for work. I was working at the local hospital. I was in my final year of University on becoming a Nurse. My mother was one and I loved seeing how happy that made her to help others, which is why I wanted to become one. I didn’t start right away, it was too hard the first year so I took a year and half off before realizing this what I wanted.

Brody came in, he seemed more calm so I told him to come back after I was done and we could talk more. After I was done, Brody was there. We walked to my car, I asked him about the other night, which was a mistake.

He grabbed my arm and told me to stop bringing it up. He was hurting my arm, and tears began to form in my eyes.
“Brody, let go. you’re hurting me” I said.
“You shouldn’t have left last night” He said.
“You were being a jerk” I said. His grip got tighter and I was getting scared. “Brody, stop please”

He let go, then looked at me like nothing was wrong.
“You coming to Mike’s party tonight” He asked.
“No” I said.
“Why not. Everyone will be asking” He asked.
“I’m hanging out with Taylor and Sidney” I said.
“People are going to start talking. Think your cheating on me. Are you sleeping with him too” He asked.
“Stop it. You know he’s been my best friend since I was little” I told him.
“I think you should stop hanging out their” Brody said
“That won’t happen” I told him.
“Then we are done” He said. He shoved me a little, causing me to lose balance. He just walked away.

I got into my car and headed right to Sidney’s. I pulled into his driveway, pulling myself together before walking inside. Taylor was in the kitchen when I walked inside. She gave me a hug, I tried not show pain when she squeezed me.
“I missed you AJ” She said.
“I missed you too Tay. Where’s Sid” I asked.
“Upstairs” She replied.

I walked upstairs, I knew I couldn’t keep this in. I had to tell someone, though I didn’t know how safe it would be to tell Sidney. He would lost it. He didn’t like Brody, and this would not help.

“Hey AJ” He said with a smile as I walked into his room.
“Hi” I replied.
“What’s wrong” He asked taking a seat on the edge of his bed beside me.
“Nothing” I replied.
“When will you get that you cannot lie to me” He said. Tears formed in my eyes, he wrapped his arms around me.
“Brody and I broke up. He grabbed my arms in our argument” I said.
“Are you okay. How bad did he hurt you” He asked.
“It’s just a little sore. I’ll be fine” I said.
“Please, promise me that you will not go back to him” Sidney asked.
“I’m so done with him” I said.
“Better be” He said.

We went downstairs, I didn’t tell Taylor. We watched a couple movies, I ignored my phone for the most part. Brody kept texting and calling but I didn’t pick up and just deleted the messages.

Taylor went to bed before us, Sidney could tell something else was bothering me. I could never lie to him and he always knew whens something wasn’t right.
“Aaliyah, what’s wrong?” Sidney asked. He used my real name and not a nickname so I knew he was being serious.
“Brody won’t leave me alone” I said.
“Don’t get mad, but I need to ask this” He began “Has this happened before.” I completely started balling. He wrapped his arms around me and I cuddled into his chest. I felt finally felt safe.

“A few times, but I just let it go” I somehow got out.
“You are so much better than that. You do not need that.” He said.
“I know that now. I’m not going back to him” I told him.
“You better not” He said.