What Makes You Beautiful

first date.

I woke up cuddle on the outside lawn chair with James. Clothes still fully on, my head was pounding. Sidney of course was all ready up and being the guy he was, had all ready been out for a run. I was getting a bottle of water when he walked in.

“How was the rest of your night” He asked.
“It was good” I replied.
“You and James, eh” He asked.
“Nothing happened. We just talked, I promise” I replied.
“Just be careful” He said.
“I know.” I said. I walked over and hugged him. “I know your being my best friend and looking out for me, but i’m not rushing into anything right now. School is my main focus”
“At least I like James unlike some other people” He said with a smirk as he walked up the stairs.

Slowly everyone started walking up. We made brunch and then by mid afternoon we were out on the water in the boat. It was fun tubbing and skiing. Tonight would be just a simple campfire and drinks. No beer pong or drinking games like the night before.

Seeing as I ended up in the water more than any, I took a shower and changed into a pair of a sweats with my Gongshow t-shirt. I was walking into the guest room I was sharing with Josie, she invaded Sid’s comfy clothes and had a pair of his track pants on with a simple t-shirt.

“I guess you found my clothes” Sidney said.
“I did, very comfy” Josie said.
“The fires ready” He said. We headed outside. I started roasting marshmallows.
“This is my favorite part of summer” Josie said making a smore.
“Very relaxing” James said.
“Hate to see it end in a way, but glad for the season to start” I said.
“Just means soon time for a road trip” Letang said.
“Well looks like I’ll be the one doing most of the road trips” Josie said.
“AJ not come to Pittsburgh, i’d like to see that one” Jack Johnson said.
“I don’t get it” Letang said with a confused look.
“I think I am just going to move down after I graduate” I said with a huge smile.
“That’s awesome” Letang said.

We chatted for a bit long, lots of laughs. I loved hanging out with these guys. I know they would make living so from home easier. It was fun just hanging out with just a bonfire, no pressure and I didn’t have to worry about anything. Pittsburgh was become more real, I was going to have to finally talk to Dad. I just had another four months of school to get through.

Sunday morning, we woke up less hungover. We went out for breakfast. All the guys expect for James headed back home. I would see them soon enough, and would see Jack johnson and Colby Armstrong when they were in town.

Josie headed home, I was packing up my stuff and was soon going to head back home as well. James walked into the guest room and sat on the bed.
“I’m going to stay for another day or two” He said. I smiled.
“How does Sid like that” I asked.
“He’s fine with it, as long as I follow his rules” He said. I laughed.
“This should be interesting” I said.
“Do you work tonight” He asked.
“Sadly, yes I do” I said. “But off tomorrow night”
“We should do something, before I leave” He said.
“That could be fun” I said.

I headed home and got ready for work. Just before my shift started I checked my phone, like always. James sent a text. I smiled when I read it.
Have a good shift at work. See you tomorrow :)

Brody would never send that, it was just usually hurry home or bitching about something. It felt nice to actually be treated good, I knew this is what I deserved. I still had no idea why I put up with Brody and his crap. This could be very different with James. As always in the back of my mind, I couldn’t date him. He was a NHL player, he didn't have time for a normal girlfriend, he could have anyone he wanted. Why would he pick some small town girl who is becoming a nurse.

I always been like that, some guys just wanted to date me because my best friend was Sidney Crosby and then some guys were just mistakes but because I felt like I couldn’t do better, I always went for the wrong guys. But I was changing that.

Work went over fine, I was glad to get home to my own bed. I feel asleep texting James. It was different but nice. Sidney sent a few, telling me he’d hurt James if he did anything to hurt me. But I didn’t think we would have to worry about James.

When I woke up I noticed that I had a missed text and call from Brody. I just deleted it. He was out of my life for good. I showered and got ready for work. The morning couldn’t go by fast enough. James wouldn’t tell me the plans, but it was casual. I went through so many clothing ideas while at work. I told Josie to be there when I got home so she could help.

“You look fine. Story worrying” Josie said laying on my bed while I tried on my sixth outfit.
“It has to be more than just fine” I said. I tried on another dress.
“Thats the one.” Josie said. “James will love it.”I looked in the mirror, and smiled. I actually really did like this one. .

Josie left after she helped curl my brown hair and was finally ready to go. My stomach had butterflies. I don’t understand why I was so nervous. James knocked on my door and I smiled as I answered it.
“You look beautiful” He said. I was blushing.
“You’re not so bad yourself” I said.
“You ready to go” He asked. I nodded and he took my hand and lead me to the car.
“Where are we off too” I asked.
“You will see” He said with a huge smile.

He drove and then pulled up to my favorite seafood restaurant. He helped me out of the car and we headed inside and were seated.
“Sidney may or may have not helped a little” James said.
“I’m glad he’s being better” I said.
“I know he’s being protective, I understand” He said.

We order and chatted about anything and everything. He told stories from when he was a kid. He told me about a few past relationships. I was glad he was being honest with that. He knew mine, though Sidney told him, I was okay with that. We finished up our meal and headed outside to the boardwalk.

He took my hand as we walked down, watching the sun set. Everything was going great, until I heard a voice behind us. I just stopped. James put his arm around me, pulling me in close. I felt so safe.
“Why won’t you talk to me AJ” Brody said walking towards us.
“This is not the time or place for this” I said.
“Just answer it, it’s pretty simple” He said.
“Please just go away” I said.
“Give me an answer then” He said.
“She said leave her alone” James said.
“This has nothing to do with you” Brody said.
“You are interrupting us, so I think it does” James said.

I knew this could get ugly fast. I didn’t want James to get in trouble or hurt on my part. I took his hand, and told Brody if he didn’t leave me alone, I’d go to the cops. That helped on my part, I knew he didn’t want that. He left us alone, well for now.

“Aaliyah, are you okay” James asked pulling me in close again.
“I’ll be alright.” I said. We sat down on a bench
“Let’s talk about something else” James said.
“Please.” I asked. He took hand, and noticed the ring I was wearing on my index finger.
“What’s this” He asked.
“This was my Mother’s engagement ring. I loved it every since I could remember, when she passed away my father gave it to. He knew she would have wanted me to have it” I told him.
“I’m sorry. Sid told me about it” He said.
“It’s a lot better now. There is nothing I can do to bring her back so I just need to make the best of everything and do things that would make her proud” I said.
“I think she would be very proud of you” He said.
“I know she would have liked you” I said. I kissed his cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading. :)
comments are always welcome!
xoxoxoxox
<3