Status: One Shot!

Nothing

1/1

The familiar burn of the alcohol hit the back of my throat as I downed the shots in front of me one by one. I barely glanced around the crowded bar that my team mates dragged me to. I didn’t care who was around me and what they were doing, all I cared about was the drinks and front of me and that they stayed full. I wanted to remember nothing about the night.

“Doing okay there, Nealer?” Jordan Staal asks with a hard slap to my shoulder. “Wash her out of your mind?”

By her he meant my girlfriend…sorry ex-girlfriend, Samantha. She left me while we were in Philly for the playoffs. After we had lost to them, I intended to come home and into the arms of my girlfriend as she comforted me. Instead I waked into a quiet and cold apartment that was empty of any traces of Sam. I tried calling her multiple times, but she wouldn’t answer. Finally after a week of locking myself away in the house, I agreed to join the boys out. But not after some serious persuasion.

They say I’m better off now
Then I ever was with her


”James, you need to forget her. Any girl who runs away after a loss isn’t worth your time.” They had said.

”There are better girls out there.

”Just think, no more phone calls as soon as you land or before you go to sleep.”

”She was too clingy”

All their reasons as to why I was better off without her we all the reasons that I loved her. The fact that I got to talk to her before I went to sleep, the last thing I hear was her sweet voice. Or that she worried and cared enough for me to call her and tell her that I made it safely. Samantha was a great girlfriend, she understood that hockey was important to me.

I sigh and knock back another shot before ordering another one. At this rate, I’m not going to remember a damn thing.

****

Hours and many drinks later we are all walking through the city and all I can do is see Samantha everywhere and scream her name, causing late night stragglers to glance at me. The guys try to calm me down, but I am too far gone for that. I continue to call out her name and then I reach for my phone and before Sidney can grab it, I am dialing her number.

“Hello?” She answers, timidly and I all but fall to my knees at the sound of her voice.

“Sam, baby, why’d you leave? Why weren’t you there? I needed you. I still need you. I love you, Sam. Please don’t leave.” I wail into the receiver.

As I calm down, I wait for her answer but all I hear is her even breathing and nothing else. Then I hear light click, then nothing.

Keeping my emotions in check is a lot harder to do with all the alcohol that is coursing through my body and with burning eyes and shaky hands, I put my phone back into my pocket. Without a word to my friends, I head off into a familiar direction. As I walk, I think about everything Samantha and I have been through and how much she means to me. I think about ways to get her to come back and stay. Before I knew it, I was standing in front of her little house that she had yet to sell. Determined to get an explanation from her, I march up the steps and knock on the door loudly.

There is no answer. I continue to knock and the longer there is no answer the stronger the burning in my eyes get and before I know it, I am standing on her porch crying. I knock one last time and strain to hear some type of movement from inside, but all I hear is by ragged breathing. Nothing from her end.

Defeated, I let Sidney and Jordan drag me home. They listen to my go on and on about Samantha and they don’t seem to care. They know I am heartbroken and just need to vent.

“Are you going to be okay?” Sidney asks, as he unlocks my door.

I sigh and nod. “Yeah, I’m just going to bed. Thanks for dealing with me tonight Sid, I know it couldn’t have been loads of fun.”

Sidney clasped me on the back. “James, that’s what friends are for. Now get some sleep and be ready for an ass kicking of a hangover in the morning.” With one more slap, Sidney was out the door.

I collapsed on the couch with a sigh and I reached for the phone and pressed speed dial. I held my breath as the line rang, but then it just stopped.

All I got was nothing
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry of the layout looks crappy, first time posting a new story on the new site. I don't think I like it lol.

Anyways, this is a contest entry and my song was "Nothing" by the Script