Chill

Six

I didn’t go to the coffee shop again until later that week. I didn’t want to risk seeing him again, not after that embarrassing moment in the hallway. But after a particularly harsh day of teasing and torture at school, I needed a reprieve.

So it was with a heavy heart and my battered copy of Wuthering Heights that I found myself sitting in my usual spot at the coffee shop Thursday afternoon. Logan wasn’t there. I had checked before entering, cowering behind the front door until I was absolutely sure he wasn’t working.

After a half hour of reading, my stomach grumbled. It was about time I got something to snack on, like a coffee cake or a small pastry. I stood up calmly and walked over to the display stands, taking my sweet time deciding. There was no line, so it hardly mattered.

I asked the cashier for a glazed donut and a cup of coffee. He told me the price and then left to retrieve my order. I started to dig through my schoolbag for a couple of dollars or some change, but my hand came up empty.

I could feel myself start to panic. I threw my backpack on the counter and started taking things out, desperately searching for some money. By the time the cashier came back with my order, I still had nothing to pay with. I looked up at him, embarrassed and prepared to apologize. My day was just not going well.

“I’m really sorry,” I began, “But I have no-”

“I can pay for her.”

I spun around, and my mouth opened in disbelief. Logan was standing right behind me, dressed in gym shorts and a sweaty school t-shirt. The shirt clung to his well-muscled frame. It took everything I had to keep my eyes on his face.

He smiled at me reassuringly before looking back to the cashier, handing him a couple of bills. The transaction ended, and then it was just the two of us.

We both spoke at the same time.

“Why did you-”

“Allie, I-”

We looked at each other and laughed. His laugh was nice to hear. It was soft and melodic, rather than loud and booming.

“You first,” I offered after we had caught our breath. We were sitting in my usual spot in the corner now, facing each other from across the small circular table.

He nodded, and then looked down at his hands. “Allie, I’m so sorry I ignored you like that at school Monday. I kept meaning to apologize to you, but there was never a moment alone. I’m sorry. It was stupid of me to do that.”

I stared at him, shocked. Why would he apologize? I had been pretty certain that I was nothing to him, just a random girl that he had smiled at while he was working. My heart fluttered with hope, but I knew I couldn’t let myself believe him. I would only be disappointed.

“It’s fine,” I said slowly, cautiously. I played with the donut wrapper in my hands to keep my attention off him. “I don’t understand why you’re telling me this.”

He laughed, a low and throaty sound. I glanced up at him, surprised.

“I don’t know why I am either,” he whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed the summary to better fit the story.
Also, I'm still working on the character page! I'm just so busy with school these days.
Thank you all you wonderful readers out there! Especially these: Darkest Moon, MusicLover525, asyousleep;, and losing control. Thanks for the comments! They seriously make my day.