Chill

Seven

“He seriously asked you to go to the football game tonight?” Marissa asked in surprised disbelief.

I nodded, this huge, dopey grin on my face. “Yeah. And he bought my coffee and donut for me.”

We were on our way to the weekly pep rally held every Friday before the game. The hallways were full of ecstatic students who were just glad to be out of class early.

“He totally wants you,” Marissa whispered as we passed a group of giggling cheerleaders.

I really wanted to believe her, but I was smarter than that. I didn’t want to be the blunt end of a joke or get another reaction like the one on Monday. I had to listen to my instincts, keep my head held high, and not let my guard down in the slightest. Until there was total, absolute proof that Logan actually liked me, I would remain wary.

But the second I saw his black hair shining in the sunlight next to the gym doors, my resolution faltered. I found myself walking faster in his direction. I could vaguely hear Marissa calling after me, but I didn’t listen. All I could see, all I could focus on, was him.

He made me feel like I was living my own personal fairy tale. And it was going to be the best darn story ever.

I was almost next to Logan when he looked over and saw me. My heart jumped in my chest, and I froze, suddenly nervous. What was he going to do? Scoff and turn away again like I was an outsider? Smile and wave like we were old friends?

He carefully glanced around and smiled to himself, as if satisfied by what he saw… or didn’t see. I looked around too, briefly. There was no one around but a few people that, sadly, didn’t matter. But it shouldn’t have mattered if anyone was around. He should have sought my attention anyway.

I was about to turn when his clear blue eyes found mine. And then I was lost once more in the intensity of his gaze. All thoughts of walking away fled my mind, and I smiled. He returned the smile, albeit tentatively, before walking into the gym.

I heard someone call my name and I turned, expecting to see Marissa.

Instead, I found myself facing the wrath of six angry cheerleaders. They formed a semi-circle around me, and since I was against the gym wall, there was no way for me to escape. I looked desperately around for Marissa, but she was nowhere to be seen.

One of the cheerleaders stepped out of the ranks and walked towards me, studying me incredulously. Her name was Courtney Sumner. She was gorgeously tall, with long, wavy chestnut hair that any girl would have died for, myself included. Her skin was still perfectly tanned from the hours she spent sunbathing on her vacation to Florida, which was something that people had gossiped about for weeks. She could have been a model for any magazine. She was the head cheerleader.

Most importantly though, she was Logan’s ex-girlfriend. She once had everything I now wanted.

“Hey girls, Plain Jane here thinks she has a chance with Logan,” Courtney sneered. Her underlings laughed. It wasn’t even that funny.

“Leave me alone,” I muttered.

“Oh, don’t worry! You have the wrong idea. We’re only trying to help,” Courtney said, mock-innocently.

I blinked. “Help with what?”

She laughed. “If you don’t leave him alone, you’re going to get hurt. I promise you that.”

Somehow, I didn’t think she was talking about Logan or my feelings.

The group of cheerleaders walked away, still snickering amongst themselves about my obvious misery.

I was trying very hard not to cry. I hated that I was so weak… so vulnerable. What was it about me that made the others pick on me? In a sea full of students, I was the one fish the pelicans and hawks kept snatching at. It was only a matter of time before one of them managed to catch me, therefore ending my life forever.

Maybe that was a bit melodramatic. I didn’t care.

The pep rally was about to start, and more people were making their way towards the gym. I wished they had been here earlier. Not that any of them would have done anything to help me, the school victim.

Just like that, my day had been ruined.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for updating so late! College has been keeping me busy.
In other news, I finally added a character's page. Check it out!

Thank you so so much to dreamerx3, MusicLover525, and Darkest Moon!