Status: Complete

It's Either War or Peace

4. Lights Will Guide You Home

Katie Vereeka's Point of View

The girl looked at me. “Hey, look at that freaky girl just standing there!” She pointed at me.

The boy looked at me through squinted eyes. He was rather attractive if I do say so myself. “Why is she staring at us?” he asked while he stopped squinting.

The girl shrugged. “Do you think she’s gonna move?” she asked.

That made me realize how statue-like I was. I stayed the way I was anyway.

“I don’t know,” the boy said. “Look how pale she is.”

Shit.

The girl squinted. “Dude, her eyes are red!”

Double shit.

I read the girl’s mind. It was full of all sorts of things. It showed what dangers her and the boy went through and how they ended up here. She was also planning an attack on me. Why the hell would she attack someone she doesn’t even know?

I looked into the future quickly. All I saw was me saying the word “pain”. What did that have to do with anything? Well, if the vision of me seeing these two came true then hopefully this will be true too.

“I’m gonna go interrogate her,” the girl said.

“Okay,” the boy replied. He seemed a little nervous.

The girl walked slowly towards me. The closer she got the more nervous she became. She was still planning on attacking me though. I grew nervous myself. What if the vision wasn’t true and I just though it up subconsciously? Then what would I do?

The girl was halfway towards me. I sighed. Here goes nothing. “Pain,” I whispered.

Suddenly, the girl through herself back onto the ground and curled in a ball. She began to scream bloody murder. Trees shook and animals ran farther away from us. I stared at the girl as the boy knelt down by her side. He looked at me.

“What did you do?!” he exclaimed.

I quickly turned around and ran away as fat as I could. You know, the ability to give off emotions comes in handy. The farther I ran the quieter the girl’s screams became. Finally, they stopped altogether.

I had a feeling I was going to see those two again.

I slowed down to a walk. Not a lot of sun seeped through the trees. Once the sun hit my skin, the sparkles were gone within seconds.

Suddenly, the stench of dog filled my nose. I’ve never smelled something so atrocious in my life. It smelled worse than when someone left their shit in the toilet for too long. I began to follow it thanks to curiosity. The closer I was the worst it got. I turned the sharp corner the path I was taking led to. I stopped in my tracks. A tall, shirtless teenager was standing in front of me. His skin was tan and it seemed like his heritage was from the Native Americans. His dark hair was short and he ran his hand through it sometimes.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“Jacob Black.”

My eyes widened.

Jacob chuckled. “What? You’ve never seen a werewolf before?”

I shook my head slowly. Again, Jacob chuckled, shaking his head.

“What are you doing here all the way in southern Chicago?” I asked.

“Alice asked me to check on you,” Jacob said.

My eyes widened even more. “So… The Twilight Saga is for sure real?”

Jacob nodded.

“Every single character wasn’t made up?”

“We’re all real.”

“Then how did Stephenie Meyer know about you guys?” I asked. “Doesn’t your existence – and mine I should add – have to be kept a secret?”

Jacob started to laugh. “Ah Stephenie is just some phony we found,” he said. “Bella was the one who wrote the books. The Volturi said she was allowed to publish them as long as she found a human willing to pretend to be the author. We found Stephenie Meyer and then everything took off from there.”

My face softened. Wow. That Stephenie Meyer woman was a good actress then.

“Do the actors and actresses in the movies look like the rest of you?” I asked.

“Kinda,” Jacob said. “That Taylor Lautner dude is shorter than me though. By a lot. And the girl who plays Alice is too tall. Ashley Greene’s her name right?”

“By how much?” I asked, ignoring the last part.

“Eight inches,” Jacob said.

My eyes widened again. “Jeez! That’s a huge difference! Alice is shorter than me and I’m five-one!”

Jacob raised an eyebrow. “Didn’t you see Alice the night the gangbangers attacked you?”

“It was too dark when I was human and I only caught a glimpse of her when she bit me,” I said.

Jacob nodded and turned away a little. “Well, I better get going now. Alice told me to tell you to start heading towards northern Chicago. It’ll be better for you there.”

I started to turn away too. “Alright. Thanks. Tell Alice I said hi.”

Jacob nodded and smiled. “Will do.”

The two of us turned away from each other. But then I thought of something. Turning back I said, “Hey Jacob?”

He turned back to face me.

“You know what I am right?” I asked.

Jacob laughed. “Of course. You’re a newborn vampire. Keep in mind I killed a lot at one time.” He winked.

I giggled for the first time as a vampire. “Yeah, yeah. Whatevs.”

Jacob chuckled and turned away. He began to run and within seconds he was gone.

While walking, I checked the GPS on my phone to see which way North was. Amazingly, I was going the right way. Excited, I began to run.

It took about two and a half days to reach northern Chicago. Of course I hunted animals along the way. I made one mistake and drained a human but luckily, it was a druggie. According to his thoughts, no one loved him. That meant no one will miss him even though he’s dead. I will admit: I was scared about getting caught drinking him. I disposed of his body quickly and ran.

Once I reached northern Chicago, I immediately felt safer. The gangs here weren’t as bad as the gangs in southern Chicago which I was grateful for. Now, my past didn’t have to haunt me as much.

I trudged through the forest I was in. Even though it was night time, I didn’t want to be caught. Also, I had a feeling I would find something in here. Not a bad thing. A good thing.

The sun started to rise when I heard laughter. It sounded like wind chimes swinging back and forth. That meant it wasn’t human laughter. Human laughter was too bland. I followed it, quickening my pace. It led me to a rather larger house. There were four floors and each floor had a window with a balcony.

I saw a window certain move. As a doorknob turned, I backed up slowly. Someone was watching me. Someone was watching me. Someone was watching me. Some. One. Was. Watching. Ing. Me.

The door opened, making me freeze in my tracks. A man with dark brown hair that was gelled back walked out. He looked to be in his thirties. A smile swept across his face.

“Hello Katie,” he said. “Do you remember me? Alice told us she saw you having a vision about my family and me.”

Oh my god.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title Credits: "Fix You" by Coldplay

We start our sophmore year of high school tomorrow so we wanted to get this chapter on here before then :)

Also, a demigod having a point of view was mentioned in the summary and we just wanted to let you all know that the point of view won't come up until chapter 11 (which starts part two of the story). Just wanted to let you guys know! :)

Thanks for reading! Please comment and subscribe!