Whenever You Speak

Early Morning

Viktor was up at dawn. He moved to his window and looked longingly at the sky. If he was home, he would have been flying it, feeling the cold air rush past him. He would have felt the exhilaration of a sky that belonged to him and him alone. Here he had already been told that such a privilege was denied to him. And that thought was enough to torment him. The sky was the one constant that would now be denied him.

His hand curled into a fist at the thought. He knew it was for a good and just cause but it was not something that sat well with him. Then again, neither was the thought of bowing to Potter's whims when the boy was playing a fool. It was going to be a long summer, but Viktor had volunteered for this and he would not back down now. Not when he was so close to proving that he was not the monster that so many would have made him out to be. He had much to make up for and he would not stop until Harry had won the war that was coming towards them.

He dressed before he slipped out of the room and silently out of the house towards Number Four. Though he knew Potter would disapprove, Krum was not above openly defying the other male. He had done it enough yesterday to prove that for a life time. He would likely be tired of doing it by the end of the summer. Then again, Potter might give in by the end of the summer. Bulgarians prided themselves in their stubborn nature after all.

A smile curled his lips as he came to a stop in front of Number Four and surveyed the house. His barriers had stayed in place, even the back-ups. He had studied the particular type of spells for several months before he had finally been allowed this particular... position as one might call it. They were some of his best work that he had yet managed. Not nearly as good as they likely should be, but they were the better than what Potter had been using until now: nothing.

He turned away from the house and began to survey the street before him. It was odd to think that such a place would actually be his home for the next few months. It seemed like a sad and lonely place. He wasn't sure how anyone could willingly live there. Then again, he had never thought to find himself in England for any reason other than perhaps a game... or a woman.

He flinched at the memory Hermione Granger. Though he wouldn't admit it, there was a part of him that still loved the girl. A part of him that still longed for her even after she had broken his heart. He wasn't sure why. It was foolish really. She had made it quite clear that she didn't care for him in that way. He knew that he had to accept that, but knowing something and feeling something were never the same thing.

He crossed his arms over his chest and bowed his head, allowing the gray light to wash over him as he closed his eyes and conjured up an image of Hermione in her mind. Her smile was sweet and gentle, her mind something that made him want to prove himself and step forward and become something that he knew that he wasn't. But the more he thought of her, the more another face began to join hers. Another riot of hair, not brown but red. Eyes blue and vivid.

Viktor shook his head and a frown touched his lips. Why he should think of her, he honestly didn't know. He shouldn't have even been thinking of Hermione. His only focus needed to be Harry's safety. That and his redemption. It would sound silly to most, but he still had not forgiven himself for his weakness of two years before. He had been a fool to allow himself to be used the way that he had. He wasn't sure there would be enough duties in the world that could ever allow himself to forget what he had almost allowed to happen that day.

"I didn't think that anyone else would be up at this time of day."

Viktor had the self-presence not to jump as he turned and saw that Angel Thurston had already stirred herself from her sleep. Sweats and a tank top were her uniform of choice, the unruly hair he remembered pulled back into a high ponytail.

"I am an early riser," he managed with a shrug. A part of him wanted to add something in his own language, but he knew too well that she would understand it. She had already proven her knowledge of his language to be quite accurate the day before. "I would not have thought anyone else was awake."

Her cheeks were already flushed as she smiled. "I can't help it," she admitted with a shy shrug. "I actually kind of enjoy running. It helps me to think."

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "I would not think you should have anything to bother your thoughts.

She reached up and brushed a stray lock of her bright hair behind her ear and looked away. "I guess no one is ever what they seem," she granted. "And that sounds really stupid," she added with a laugh as she shook her head. "Come on. Mom should be up by now and she'll be making breakfast. It's not something that you'll wanna miss."

He stood still for a moment, watching her as she moved away. She was absolutely perplexing, the girl before him. But he couldn't help but like that about her. He smiled and shook his head, throwing one last look in the direction of Number Four before he moved after the young woman. He had promised Potter a visit later in the day already.

There would be time enough for it after he ate.