Oh, Is It Love?

Chapter 4

The Brazilian made her way inside the aquatic center as she heard whistles and shouting. She was trying to find Jamie, her nephew, but she couldn’t. He was probably in the pool since none of the other kids were out yet. Leila sat down on top of the bleachers so she could try and spot Jamie; she loved to see him swim since he was pretty good at it. He just started learning, but the kid was a natural. Once her eyes scanned the pool and she found him her lips turned into a smile because Jamie showed that he had a lot of endurance.
She was feeling a lot better now that it was a couple of days after her being in bed, Leila needed to get out. Being inside your house for almost five days with nothing to do was not fun at all. The afterwards of being sick sucked too, but for some reason this time it wasn’t as bad. Okay, that was a lie, she had phlegm in her lungs and she had to cough it up, which she spent most of the night doing. The toilet was her best friend for the night seeing as she “slept” next to it just in case. Five out of the eight hours she spent coughing it up and spitting it in the toilet. She was exhausted but she really wanted to see her nephew, so she came to pick him up from his swimming lessons.
Her throat was itching and she knew what was coming so she got up and went over to the bathroom as soon as she could so she could cough it up. Now she couldn’t stop coughing as her head was over the toilet. Leila’s eyes began to water and her head began to spin as the white substance mixed with saliva came out of her mouth. It was the most disgusting thing ever, and the worst. Leila continued to cough as more tears came out; making her throat hurt. It’s been dry since she began to cough this shit up. Most of the time her head would begin to hurt because it was so much coughing.
After what felt like an eternity, Leila finally stopped, closed her eyes for two seconds and took a deep breath. She flushed the toilet and was finally able to step out of the stall. She washed her hands and splashed some water in her face. Her throat let out a big yawn before she stepped out of the bathroom and walked towards the pool again.

Nobody was there.

Leila looked again, yep. Nobody was there. Had she really been gone that long? All the kids were probably outside waiting for their parents so that’s where Leila headed. Walking to the double doors she felt her phone vibrate. While pushing the door she looked to see who it was; Soni.
“Hey lady. Are you feeling better?”
“Much. The usual you know, coughing shit up.” Leila chuckled.
“Dude, that’s so gross.”
“Tell me about it! I’m at the aquatic center picking up Jamie. I finally get to see him!” She coughed again. Her voice sounded like she had just woken up; it was very raspy.
“Yay! I miss that little guy so much. Maybe I’ll drop by unexpectedly.” Rebecca replied.
“That would be awesome! You make my life so much better.”
“Duh. I’m in it!” Soni laughed.
Leila was listening to Rebecca talk about the welcoming parade that they had for her when she noticed that there was only one little kid along with one adult. She walked closer to the pair, the adult had his back to her while the little kid was standing in front of him.
“She’s never late!” The little kid exclaimed.
“Maybe she got caught up in traffic,” a deep voice responded.

Michael Phelps.
“Uh. Soni. Something just came up.”
“Call me!”
They both hung up. Leila walked quicker and indeed it was Jamie.

“She always gets here—Auntie Lala!” Jamie squealed as he ran up to his aunt to give her a bone crushing hug.
Leila had kneeled so she could wrap her arms around his waist. She stood up and picked him up while smiling so wide that it hurt so bad but she didn’t care.
“How’s my favorite nephew?” Leila asked. Thiago’s image reflecting back at her besides his eyes. Jamie had his mama’s eyes.
“I’m your only nephew!” Jamie giggled as Leila put him down. They held hands.
“So true, you ready kid?”
“No! You must meet my new friend.” Jamie smiled so big that his eyes sparkled.
Michael had turned around with a smile playing on his lips as he watched Leila and Jamie interact. Jamie dragged his aunt and said, “meet Michael Phelps! He came in to talk about swimming and how we should stick to sports. It was very neat, we got to take a picture with him!”
“Hello Michael Phelps.” Leila said smiling.
“Hello Auntie Lala.” Michael chuckled.
“Oh, I’m only allowed to call her that. This is my aunt Leila.” Jamie said.
“Oh do excuse me. Hello Leila,” her name poured from his lips.

Say it again

“Jamie I’ve already met Michael.” Leila giggled.
“Well that’s good, it will make dinner less awkward then. He’s coming with.”
“What?” Michael and Leila said in unison.
“Yeah. He was nice enough to wait with me and ¬I want him to meet avozhina and avozinho.”
“Has anybody ever told you not to talk to strangers?”
“He isn’t a stranger technically.” Jamie smiled smugly, “everybody has heard of him.”
“The kid has a point,” Michael smirked.
Leila stuck her tongue out, “if you really want him to go that’s fine. You’ll have to entertain him though, I’m not playing the host today.” She coughed.
Jamie saluted her while nodding.
“So now that we have that covered, Michael do you want to follow me?”
“Sure,” Michael responded.

It was kind of funny how they rarely said a word to each other yet it felt like they had been talking for a while. Leila and Jamie went to her car; a scarlet Rav4. It was her baby and she didn’t care that it was a mom car. Jamie like the good kid that he was always sat in the back seat. His feet couldn’t reach the floor yet so he liked to swing them.
Leila backed out and saw that Michael was already behind her. She turned on the radio and Bubbly by Colbie Caillat was playing. The Brazilian smiled as she hummed along while popping in a halls into her mouth.
“Auntie Lala are you feeling better?”
“A lot better bud.”
“That’s good, you better not get me sick, I’ll be sad if I do.”
“Don’t worry, you’re way too cool to get sick guy.”
“I’m so happy you’re here Auntie Lala.”
“Me too bud, me too.” Leila smiled as she continued to hum to the song.
Jamie looked really tired; his eyes were droopy and he was about to fall asleep.
“You can’t fall asleep! We’re almost there.”
“More like ten minutes away…I can sleep for ten minutes.”
“As you wish.” Leila responded.
Jamie immediately fell asleep and Leila continued to drive with Michael behind her. It was just weird how they could be so casual about everything. Is it normal to be that comfortable around someone? She didn’t even really know the guy either and he was making her feel so…at peace. Just like when she gets out of mass. She blew air out of her mouth releasing a sigh. Her hair was up in a messy bun and she was wearing a plain white v neck t-shirt and capri sweatpants along with some slip ons. Leila probably looked her worst but she didn’t care because she was happy she was able to get out of the house. She put on her chapstick as she made a left turn on the familiar street that was her childhood. Her parents haven’t moved since they moved in when she was nine.
“Wake up kid; we’re here.” Leila said as she turned the engine off.
“Hmmm.” Jamie said.
Leila chuckled as she got out of the car and opened Jamie’s door for him.
“Obrigado,” he said and went over to Michael’s car.
Michael got out of the car and gave Jamie a high five as he led him into the house. Leila almost began to walk into the house but then she remembered that she had everybody’s present in her car so she thought it would be a better idea to get them now instead of coming out again. Leila went over to her trunk when her cellphone began to vibrate.
“Olá?”
“Leila?”
“Yes?”
“It’s Missy.”
“Missy Franklin?” Leila asked smiling as she got the poster and snow globe while closing the trunk again.
“Yes Ma’am! Soni called me and told me that you were sick so I thought I should give you a call to see how you’re doing.”
“That Soni! Thanks for calling, I greatly appreciate it. I feel a lot better, how are you? Enjoying your last few weeks of school left?”
“Oh yes! I’m very well actually. Just relaxing before school starts again. I’m glad you’re feeling a lot better, being sick is the worst.”
“No kidding. I miss you guys so much!”
“We missed you at the closing ceremonies and such. It just wasn’t the same. I was just calling to say hi. I’ll talk to you soon though yeah?”
“Thanks! And of course! Bye!” Leila replied as she stepped through the door of her house. Her father wasn’t here yet seeing as he was still at work. He usually got home around seven. It was only six thirty.
Her feet dragged her to the kitchen where she guessed everybody was at and she was right. As soon as she stepped in she smelled the spaghetti and meatballs cooking; it was one of her favorite dishes ever. So simple yet so good.
“Olá mamãe,” Leila said while kissing her mom on the cheek.
“Olá, Jamie was just introducing me to your good friend Michael Phelps here.” She smiled at her daughter.
Her mother’s accent was thick but you could understand what she was saying.
“Yeah. He’s one of those nice guys.” Leila said. A smile was playing at her lips as he stared at her. He only nodded, “I come bearing gifts! Mom for you the snow globe that you asked for and Jamie…here’s yours.” Leila said as she handed them their gifts.

Leila noticed that Michael was staring with anticipation as Jamie unwrapped the tube and took out the poster. The nine year old gasped.
“I made sure every USA swimmer signed it for you bud.”
“You are such a cool aunt. Probably the best in my opinion,” Michael responded for Jamie.
Jamie was staring in shock at his new poster as he pointed at Leila and said, “yeah. What he said. Abrigado!”
“You’re welcome, I love you.”
“I love you Auntie Lala!” Jamie responded.
“Thank you dear. Just what I wanted! Awww, look it’s the Buckingham palace.” Her mother cooed at her new snow globe.
“You’re welcome, only the best for my mom.” Leila winked.
“Alright all three of you, off you go play video games or something, I have to finish getting dinner ready. Oh, before you start playing, Jamie can you set the table dear?”
“Yes avozinha.” Jamie smiled at his grandma.

Leila and Michael went into the living room while Michael sat on the couch; Leila went over to the television to set up the x-box for Jamie. She had gotten him an x-box 360 and then her parents gave him the Kinect for Christmas. Leila turned the tv on, found the settings, and then turned the x-box on.
“Want to play?” Leila asked Michael.
“What game?”
“The one where you’re in the raft or whatever.” Leila laughed.
“Sure,” Michael responded.
Leila let him have his space and then they both began to play. Jumping and ducking at the right places.
“So, why did you have to go talk to his swim club today?”
“I didn’t know that he was going to that one. My publicist made the schedule. He’s a nice kid.”
“He is. Were you able to get sleep after all?” Leila asked as they ducked over a tree branch.
“I didn’t. So I stayed up the whole night and day and then finally fixed my schedule.”
“Not fun. I hate all-nighters.”
“No kidding. I’m all better now, how about you? Are you feeling better?” Michael asked.
“Yeah. My throat is just the worst ever though. Besides that I’m pretty well.” Leila coughed.
“I’m glad, you do sound the same though..” Michael chuckled.

They finished their round.

Jamie came in and took Leila’s place as she sat down on the couch and watched the boys play. How can everything be so easy?! Michael Phelps was in her parent’s freaking house for goodness’ sake! This just doesn’t happen! Leila narrowed her eyes and started to think about the time when she had cut up her hand at the volleyball game. How nice he had been with her, how he had taken care of her so well…she shook her head. She wasn’t supposed to think like this. Her throat let out a cough, and another one, and another one.

Leila got up from the couch and went over to bathroom to cough the rest up. It was the last push since she had been coughing this crap up for three days now. Turning the sink on so nobody could hear her she bent over the toilet seat and started coughing as much as she could so she could get the phlegm out of her system. Tears stung her eyes as she continued to cough and felt the white liquid coming up her throat and out her mouth. Three more coughs and she was sure she was done. Leila finally stopped coughing and sat back while taking a few deep breaths so she could breathe easier. She wiped her tears with her hand and then stood up. Splashing some water on her face she grabbed the hand towel and dried it. The blond walked out of the bathroom and went into the living room, it was empty. They were all probably in the kitchen waiting for her.
Indeed they were, her dad was at the head and he smiled once he saw his daughter, her mom was at the other head, Michael sat next to Jamie and she sat in front of Michael and Jamie.
“Shall we say grace?” Her father, Mateo asked.
Her mom nodded and they all held hands, “God thank you so much for this food and thank you so much for letting us all be here together once again. God, I want to thank you for Michael, he’s such a wonderful man and I hope that we can see him more often. Amen.”
Leila didn’t know why she blushed at her mother’s comment but she shrugged it off, “hello my daughter. How are you feeling?”
“I’m feeling a lot better daddy. I have your present but I’ll give it to you after dinner.”
“Oh, you know I don’t like silly things. I’d much rather see your beautiful face.” Her dad responded as they ate their dinner.
This was usually how their conversations went, her dad would say how grateful he was for everything and she would agree and then they would talk about other stuff. Leila began to tell her dad all about London, leaving out Adrian because when it came to boys and her father, she wasn’t allowed to have a boyfriend; according to him. He always joked about it but Leila knew that he was scrutinizing the boy’s every move whenever they came over to her house. She’s only had a couple of meaningless relationships, nothing ever really serious though.
“Ele não tem sido capaz de manter os olhos de você.” Her father announced in their native tongue.
Leila looked up from her plate and looked at Michael; it was true. He hadn’t taken his eyes off her, but he wasn’t staring at her, he was actually looking at her. She raised her eyebrows as she looked at him and he gave her his trademark smile. Goofy with a grin to it. She returned his smile as she continued to eat fully knowing that everybody at the table was watching their interaction; Leila brushed it off like it was nothing.

It was nothing, wasn’t it?

After dinner was over Leila, Jamie, and Michael all got the plates and put them in the sink.
“Jamie, you can go and hang out with mom and dad, you can too if you want Michael. I just have to put these in the dishwasher.”
Jamie went out the kitchen and into the living room while Michael stayed behind.
“I can help if you want double the work it will get done faster.”
“Sure,” Leila replied as she got all the utensils, rinsed them and then put them in the dishwasher.
“What did your dad say?” Michael asked.
“Um…”
“Come on! I won’t tell anybody,” Michael chuckled.
“He said that you couldn’t take your eyes off me..” Leila said while stopping what she was doing and looking at him.
“The man does not lie.” Michael responded.
“Why were you staring?”
“I don’t know.” Michael lowered his voice and looked at her as well.
“Liar,” Leila whispered.

It seemed as if the world had gone quiet just for them.

“You’re just so..”
“So what Michael?” Leila gave him a face.
“So gorgeous,” he said in her ear causing her to get shivers down her spine.
Her cheeks grew a crimson color as she looked down to the ground, “thanks..” She wasn’t sure of what else to say so they kept working on the dishes until they were done.

Leila got her dad’s present went into the living room and gave it to him. He opened it; it was a t-shirt from the Olympics. Her dad smiled and gave her a hug, “dad I have to go, it’s getting late and it looks like it’s about to start raining. Maybe I can beat it this time.”
“Alright. Text your mother when you get home, love you.”
“Love you too. I love you all. Bye James.”
“Bye Auntie Lala, bye Michael.”
“Thank you so much for letting me stay for dinner Mr. and Mrs. Costa.” Michael said while giving them a warm smile.
“You come back now you hear?” Leila’s mom said.
Michael only nodded and gave Jamie a high five. Leila smiled at the communication as she hugged her dad, her mom and then gave her favorite nephew the biggest hug ever. Then she began to walk to the front door and Michael was trailing behind her.

“Your family is pretty awesome. You all love each other so much,” Michael said.
“This is true.” Leila laughed.
“Thanks for coming over and making Jamie’s day.” She turned to face him and saw that he was looking down at her.
“No problem. I have a feeling he’s going to be one of my best buds around here. After all I need an excuse to see you don’t I?”
“Not really…” Leila responded blinking her thick eyelashes at him.
Michael Phelps smiled at her and then wrapped his arms around her. Leila was able to raise her arms a little so he ended up circling his arms around her waist while she got on her tippy toes to wrap her arms around his neck making her squeeze. He felt so good and warm; like no harm could come to her. She smelled in his scent, old spice with chlorine. That ended up being a good combination seeing as she wanted to be more intoxicated with his scent. The hug came as soon as it went and all of the sudden she felt cold. Her lips formed into a small frown.

“I’ll see you soon yeah?” Michael asked her as he led her to her car.
“If you want to.. aren’t you going to be with your arm candy?” Leila said as she got in the driver’s seat.
“Who knows?” Michael raised his eyebrows.
“Okay. Let me know when you want to hang then. School starts in three weeks. So. Yeah. They gave me a little break even though I was supposed to be working throughout the summer on my thesis…I mean I have most of it done anyway…” Leila trailed off.
“Okay, I’ll give you a call soon. See you later.”
“Bye. Oh. By the way. You’re pretty gorgeous yourself yeah?” Leila shot him a smile.

She watched him turn around and walk back to his car, the air smelled like it was about to start raining and she pulled her window up and turned the radio on so she could head home.
Her bed was calling her name.

Avozinho-Grandpa
Avozinha- Grandma
Abrigado- Thank you.
Ele não tem sido capaz de manter os olhos de você- He hasn't been able to keep his eyes off you.
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go! I made it longer than usual for my lack of updating... <3:D I hope you enjoy it!

Don't be afraid to tell me how I'm doing guys, I write this for you! I would appreciate comments even if their bad! :) Thanks.