We'll Both Be Heroes

one

That's how I ended up there, in the airport, with a circle of faces each with conflicted feelings. Some of my friends were ecstatic for me, some are jealous. Others are on the same emotional level as my parents- sad to see me go for the entire summer. All in all, ten people surround me as I wait to get my suitcase through the little vending thing. I've gotten so many hugs as it is, but they all gave me at least one more.

My friends say their goodbyes and gave me my final moments with my parents. My mother wrapped her thin arms around me and squeezed me tight. "You're going to do great out there," she whispered into my ear. Her voice was soft and encouraging. "Just call me every night okay?"

"Okay, Mom," I laughed and hugged her back. I pulled away after prolonging the embrace a few moments longer and turned to my father. He was smiling. The sort of smile that stretched across his lips and could brighten my whole day. I smiled back at him, admiring where a hefty portion of my features had come from. Straight brown hair and gorgeous blue eyes, strong arms and a tender smile. I blinked back a tear and let the large man before me wrap me up into his arms and squish me against his chest.

"My little star is all grown up," he breathed. He pulled away to look down at her. "Nineteen and already going on tour with the biggest boy band in the world right now. I'm so proud of you, Finley," he said as he kissed my forehead. He gave a big sigh that meant 'oh what the hell?' and hugged me once more.

"It's not a huge deal," I said humbly, speaking into his chest. "It's really just a bum gig. I used to know the boy. He's just tossing me a bone, if anything."

My father stepped away and shook his head. "He wouldn't have suggested you if you weren't good."

As if on cue, an announcement rang over the intercom, signaling the boarding of my flight. My bag came around and I picked it up, smiling back at my parents. "I should go," I said softly. I quickly hurried over to my mother and squeezed her tight. "Goodbye, Mom."

I started to make my way towards my father but he beat me to the punch. He practically picked me up and squeezed me tight. "Goodbye, Daddy," I muttered softly as he set me down and made my way towards my flight.

- - - - -

I was surprised to find that only two of the five boys had come to greet me at the airport. To be quite honest, I wasn't sure any of them would come meet me directly until the tour actually started. However, I was pleasantly excited when I saw a blond boy holding up the sign with the name 'Finley Collins' in all caps.

I grinned and rushed over to the two boys and looked them over. One stood at a decent height with skin, hair, and eyes. This boy smiled at me, eyes warm and inviting. The other was the boy I had known all those years ago. He looked almost the same, yet, just slightly older. He was still the blond haired, blue eyed, round cheeks and short stature. He wasn't exactly short, but I was taller than him at least.

He smiled at me, an old memory surfacing. I couldn't help but smile back.

"Finley," Niall said with a grin, "Welcome back home."
♠ ♠ ♠
Nothing much to say here other than that I hope you like it.