‹ Prequel: A Time of Gods

Sacrifice

Judgement

The counsel of the Aesir had been called to order some time ago, but had so far failed to reach a conclusion on what should be done about the trickster Loki. Even before the recent events on both Asgard and Earth, he had not been thought of too highly by those of Asgard, but he had been in possession of everyone's respect, no matter how reluctantly they gave it. He had been raised in the home of Odin and as a brother of the mighty Thor and it was widely believed that for all his sneaky misgivings, there had to be some root of honour, some goodness within him. Throughout his life on Asgard his tricks had been considered just that - childish pranks and what he cheerily described as harmless fun.

After Loki's recent exploits all those who had harboured uneasy feelings for him before, were now crying out that they had seen this coming, if only they had been listened to.

Odin was at a loss, though he remained stern in appearance. He had carried the guilt of deception with him for the entirety of Loki's life. He had believed he treated Loki and Thor equally, but looking back he saw this was not true. Only his wife Frigga was able to say that she loved both of her sons equally and had given them the same care and compassion. There was no fault in her motherly love despite the fact she bore neither child.

Frigga had failed in changing Odin's mind when it had come to Thor's punishment and though the outcome had been justified, the punishment for Thor's actions had seemed too severe. If Thor had been banished for disobeying orders, a common rebellious act amongst sons and fathers, what would become of Loki? When he was responsible for a crime so devastating -even though he had not succeeded.

"He should have been left on Midgard," muttered Fandral to his friends. They were seated to the back of the counsel and not with Thor, who took rank by his parents.

"They possess no prison capable of holding him," Sif reminded him. She had always been uncomfortable in Loki's presence, but was now trying to keep her opinions in tact for the sake of Thor.

"Send the vile wretch to Jotunheim, he is their problem after all." Vili's voice boomed throughout the hall. Odin's brother was the only one who spoke up without fear of offending the All-Father.

"The frost giants will kill him for his betrayal," said the beautiful Freyja, but even her honeyed voice wasn't enough to calm the tempers in the room.

"Or they'll embrace him as Laufey's son and heir," Heimdall grimaced. If anyone at all had doubted the seriousness of this meeting, Heimdalls rare presence was proof enough.

"Thor was banished for less." As soon as Njord spoke, the stern eye of Odin was upon him and he shrank back in his chair.

"Loki was trapped in the abyss, is that not punishment enough?" Frigga said desperately, searching the sea of faces for anyone who showed a hint of compassion.

Odin had watched his wife suffer when Thor had been banished, and then when Loki was presumed lost. Even with his stone heart, he couldn't bare to be the cause of more pain for her, not yet.

He addressed the counsel with his judgement, "Loki shall remain imprisoned until a suitable punishment can be decided upon."
With Odin's final word, the counsel was dismissed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I despise mibba's new layout maker. Yep :/