‹ Prequel: A Time of Gods

Sacrifice

A Mother's Love

Thor had once been brash, quick-tempered and cared only for the downfall of his enemies. Since his fathers punishment, banishing him to earth, he had learnt much and no Thor was the poster boy for Odin's rule. While many may have questioned the strict nature of the punishment, when Thor only believed he was protecting his people, none could argue with the results.

In the same breath, Thor's rash actions were also the catalyst for all which followed.

Thor was now capable of seeing the bigger picture. He would always carry a brotherly love for Loki, regardless of the fact they shared no blood bond. They had been raised as siblings, side by side, looking out for one another in childhood and protecting each other when conflict arose from an outside source. Thor could understand why Loki felt hurt and betrayed, but he would never condone his actions. Right now he was fighting the urge to beat Loki into a stumpy pulp.

As he marched into his fathers hall, he was unaware that the fingers of his left hand grazed the side of his torso where Loki had stabbed him in one crazed moment of anger, fear and doubt.

Thor was permitted entry straight into the hall and was greeted with the sight of Odin seated on his throne, evidently troubled as he listened to the soft words of his wife who was trying earnestly, yet again, to get through to him. Thor sank down on one knee before them and waited until he was acknowledged before he rose to his feet.

"Have you also come to plea on behalf of your brother?" Odin asked him.

"Father please, Loki's actions were despicable," Thor began, "but he was just acting out-"

"I believed that if anyone could reason with Loki it would be you. I hoped, as his brother, that you would bring him home to us," said Odin bleakly, "But he has returned a prisoner due to his own behaviour. Loki has cut ties with all those who cared for him."

"He felt betrayed!" Frigga cried.

"Will you give me the lost little boy speech?" Roared Odin, his patience swiftly waining.

"Loki is not lost," Thor lowered his voice, unsure how to broach the next subject. "There was a woman on earth, whom he cared for. He searched for her amongst the faces after battle, but she was gone."

Frigga placed a hand on Odin's arm, "I have seen her. She's a lost child but there is good in her heart."

Odin raised his hand to silence them, "It makes no difference, too much has come to pass."

Image

Loki was standing at the window. The view was no bigger than a dinner plate cut into the shape of a crescent moon, and it was the only view of civilisation he was permitted. He knew he could have easily been thrown into a holding cell in some damp, dark crevice of Asgard. He had been given basic living quarters, and that was more than he deserved. Anyway, his new home was more preferable to that glass tank which belonged to S.H.I.E.L.D. Though he was trapped here by a strong force than mortal means could provide fore there was an enchantment to keep locked within the rooms and the threat of the destroyer on the other side of the wall. Loki wasn't even in the mood to play mind games with the two guards posted at the door.

When the door to his room opened to allow in a rare visitor he didn't look to see who it was, but remained at the window. "Have the oh so wise counsel decided upon my fate?" He enquired darkly.

"Leave us," Frigga instructed the guards. They bowed and with reluctance, left the pair alone and went to stand guard outside the door.

Only once she was sure they were alone, did Frigga take the glass orb from the inside of the golden cloak she wore. She had 'borrowed' it from Odin's hall. It was one of countless devices the All-Father had in order to look upon any part of the nine realms at will. The palm-sized milky glass orb in Frigga's hands contained only a tenth of the power of the eye in Odin's hall, but it would adequately serve the purpose Frigga required it for. The goddess called to mind the image of a sterile white hospital room.

With the faintest flicker of interest at what Frigga was up to, Loki stole a few steps towards the only mother he had ever known. He took the globe from her hands and became fixated on the figure revealed to him.

Felicia lay lifeless in the hospital bed, hooked with clear tubes to restless machines. What Thor had said was true, Loki had searched the faces of the spectators who came to ensure his return to Asgard, but found Felicia absent. He didn't even consider the possibility that she could have been injured because his poisoned mind was fixated on the idea that all whom he cared for had and would betray him, and because of this he instantly jumped to the conclusion that Felicia had deserted him. He believed she must have fled while the battle took place and tried to bury all thoughts of her.

Loki spotted the roses in the yellow vase at her bedside and knew who had been to visit her. As his mood took a dark turn, Felicia faded and the orb swirled to inky black. Gently, Frigga took back the orb.

"The Chitauri attacked her."

The news blind-sighted him. He turned away from Frigga, not wishing her to see his face as he became submerged in a wash of feelings that had lain dormant. Frigga said nothing, but stood by silently and observed his reaction. She could believe that there was good in him, even if it wasn't clear to anyone else -not even to Loki himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image