‹ Prequel: A Time of Gods

Sacrifice

Correcting Mistakes

Loki took a lengthy sip of blood red wine. Deep in contemplation he barely registered the thick liquid passing his lips. His fierce gaze was fixed on the wall, but his focus was elsewhere. If anyone were to look in on him in this state, they would have found him with a poisonous expression, while a collection of uneaten food lay on the table pushed against the wall. It was all deliciously tempting, but he hadn't touched a morsel. Loki had no interest in food, nor did he pay much attention to the guards pointless chitchat. That is until their conversation turned to mockery - at his expense.

"Can you believe, the sly one falling for a pathetic mortal?" One of the guards snickered. The second guard looked from his friend, to the corner where Loki sat shrouded in a darkness of his own creation. The guard whom had spoken seemed not to care if he were heard. "He will know about it soon enough," he simply shrugged. "If she survives the trip."

Another dig at mortal weakness, but Loki saw no personal attack and though he cared nothing for mankind, he still took the bait. His hand closed around the guards thick throat before they had registered any movement from his direction. Loki ignored the sharp waves of lighting current which rolled over him as his hand clasped the guards throat. This was inbuilt protection for the guards safety and they had reluctantly agreed to guard Loki after the promise was made. They had been persuaded with the incentive that Loki wouldn't be able to touch them without suffering physical pain.

"What are you sniffling about?" Loki asked, gritting his teeth to cope with the pain searing through his arm.

The second guard turned the razor sharp spear on Loki and sharply answered on behalf of his incapacitated friend, "Your mortal concubine is sacrificing herself. She will be taken to Nilfheim and give herself over to the alien host Thanos."

Loki's crushing grip tightened. "You're lying!"

"Thanos cares only for death, the easiest way to appease him after your failure is for someone to die."

All at once, Loki released his grip on the guard, striding away from them and back to his corner in only a few lean steps. Felicia wouldn't have agreed to do this, she had to have been forced in to it. Loki couldn't even entertain the notion that someone would give their life for his own.

"That's if she agrees," the guard added.

Slowly, Loki turned to them with a smile most sinister and they winced, suddenly hoping their protective charms were strong enough to withhold an inside attack.