‹ Prequel: A Time of Gods

Sacrifice

Asgard

She had long been accustomed to luxury, but not even Felicia could have envisaged the Asgardian world. Frigga herself had overseen Felicia's departure from Midgard and safe arrival to the realm of the Norse gods. No great party had greeted her, but news had spread of Felicia's intent as willing sacrifice. She crossed paths with nobody save for Frigga and trusted guards, despite the fact many wanted to meet the woman who would give her life for a merciless trickster. Odin had resisted that urge out of duty, and had buried any remainder of fatherly feeling he held for Loki, which would have given him cause to look upon Loki's associates kindly. Odin was not alone in his surprise that the mortal woman was able to survive the trip to Asgard.

Felicia had been shown to lavish quarters, and been left to rest after the her journey. She had super strength, giving her an advanced edge over the 'average' human, but Felicia was still human over Goddess and she had been weary. After rest she had taken a long bath to finally rid herself of that awful hospital smell, and dressed in the rich clothes that had been laid out for her especially.

A sense of peace engulfed her, for the first time in a long while she wasn't a slave to her past. Nor was she fixated on considering what she had chosen to do. Felicia should have been concerned with nothing else, yet she had made the decision not to think of what was to come. It was impossible to wallow in her current surroundings.

Felicia ran a hand over the viridian dress that had been chosen for her. She admired the flawless gold embroidery on the sleeves and waist, and how there was a wave of deep green silk pooling over her bare feet. Delicately skimming her bare neck, her mind drifted to the image of the emerald necklace Loki had given her. She didn't hold out hope that she would see the trickster one last time. It was impossible for even her to maneuver around Asgard unnoticed, especially without her suit. Never before had she gone into a foreign situation without knowing the basic layout of the facility, or she could get the required information once inside.

If she could even get past the guards beyond this room and the other defenses, Loki wouldn't be easy to locate. He would be being kept somewhere with high security. They were better equipped to deal with him here on Asgard than S.H.I.E.L.D. had been.

However, not being able to bury the feline curiousity which would always be a powerful part of her nature, Felicia decided that if she couldn't venture out, she would still explore the boundaries around her.

Felicia's gaze fell to the white door carved in to the opposite wall from where she stood. She hadn't been instructed to leave it closed. Nothing had been mentioned of it at all, and this stirred her interest as much as if it had been forbidden.

Crossing the room silently, Felicia stood before the door. It morphed her generous height by several feet. She reached out and ran her hand over the foreign wood and the gold carvings which spoke an ancient tongue. Felicia knocked twice, not really expecting an answer, and when none came she turned the handle and let herself in to the adjoining room.

The layout was identical to the room she had just come from, only larger, and instead of a cream and gold decoration there were lashings of viridian entwined with the gold - which was still a feature of luxury woven into the marble pillars and furniture.

Felicia moved slowly towards the window, running her fingers over the beautiful furniture. She was savoring all and trying to resist the urge to snoop through the hidden belongings, perhaps confirming her gut feeling as to whom the room belonged to. She continued to the balcony.

Felicia didn't usually stop to admire a picturesque view or take in a setting sun, but with the wave of peace that had settled over her since her arrival, she could spend precious moments of her doomed existence appreciating the sight before her. Asgard stretched out below her, bathed in a setting crystal light. This truly was a kingdom of Gods.

For a brief second she even believed that she caught that intoxicating scent of mint, which she had become so accustomed - and drawn to.

"Felicia."