‹ Prequel: A Time of Gods

Sacrifice

Walls

"Felicia."

The voice was raw, unfamiliar and somewhat gentle, and so Felicia believed it was her imagination playing cruel tricks on her. Yet she found herself forming a response. "Is there no prison capable of holding you trickster?"

Loki made himself known. He had been there undetected for a while, watching as Felicia fell in love with the view, his view of Asgard. He had taken in the sight of her. Found himself admiring the gloss of her pale hair as it fell over the shoulders of the viridian gown. These were his colours and she was dressed in them for a reason. She was giving herself up for him. Before, he could have easily allowed himself to view her as a bargaining chip, but now he found she was so much more. He had never beheld someone so beautiful, radiant in the light, and it terrified him.

He had something to lose.

Felicia appeared so at ease, but the last time they were together he had felt her quake in his presence with unmistakable fear. Fear of him. She had always been guarded and unable to trust, but never wholly afraid. This had bothered Loki in the beginning.

"I wanted to know if you would come."

"You knew I would," she sighed, still avoiding him.

"I did not arrange this Felicia," he moved to her. "Nor did I have anything to do with the Chitauri's attack on you." He couldn't completely understand his need to explain himself.

"I knew what I was risking when I got involved in your plans." - or so she thought she had. She was foolish.
"I wanted to, remember? You gave me a choice."

"It wasn't a choice," Loki smiled, with a hint of his usual menace.

"Life's too short for regrets - which is all too true in my case," she laughed bitterly.

"Why are you doing this Felicia?" He asked. "You make a point of being selfish, yet this is the biggest sacrifice."

"I thought it was obvious." Felicia smiled faintly when she turned to him. "You were the one to point out our similarities. How you are the only one who truly knows me. That works both ways Loki. When you stop acting out like a petulant child and quit trying to punish everyone for the wrongs done to you, then you shall see that there are still those who care for you. Me most of all."

Loki stared at her blankly, almost as if he were trying to assess whether or not this were some kind of trick. Finally, he gave relented. "You are infuriating."

Felicia's hand cupped his cool cheek. "So are you trickster, but I love you anyway."

It was Loki's turn to avoid her, moving out of her touch. "How could anyone love a monster?"

Felicia couldn't explain to him the meaning of love, perhaps Loki didn't reciprocate her feelings. Had he ever loved another? She knew that she couldn't explain that you can't choose who you fall in love with.
"You're arrogant, egotistical, power-mad, slightly crazy and have an abundance of issues, but you're not a monster Loki, not to me."

"Then you are a fool."

"That seems to be the general opinion," Felicia laughed.

Loki wanted to ask her how she could laugh at a time like this. Felicia faced death, it's cold black grip reaching for her, searching her out in the fading light and leaving no safe place to hide.

"Felicia." Loki's voice still held a rare tender note. The crack in his facade was widening. When he leaned to kiss her now, it was a hesitant gesture, but when she tilted her head to meet him that last inch the old fire raged up. His mouth claimed hers, took control and quenched any battle for dominance.

The moan which slipped from Felicia's lips brought a new focus to Loki's attention. It wasn't just the purr of pleasure, but the sound of contentment when Felicia placed her hand over his heart as their kiss deepened. She could feel the drumming of his heart beneath her fingertips.

Loki broke away. He looked at her in bewilderment because the strangest sensation was calling out to him. The need to protect. Yet there was nothing he could do for her now.

"I'm sorry Felicia," he said, and with those parting words he left her.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a lame chapter. You'll have to cheer yourself up by looking at the dancing gifs the awesome silk tea. leaves in the comments section.

I've found all my notes for the spin-off Cap America story I was going to write. Would anyone be interested in that? I could get it going once this is finished (and it nearly is). I feel like I've left Steve sitting in a corner crying and eating vanilla ice cream.