‹ Prequel: A Time of Gods

Sacrifice

Worn Down

She had been sitting alone at the window since Loki had left. She had left his room and passed back into the adjoining one. Hours had ticked by as minutes, leaving Felicia with nothing to do except to think. These past few months had brought about the heart-aching process to flick the switch on feelings she had buried long ago, and now she could see that she had learnt to forgive without the need to forget.

Felicia tore her gaze from the beautiful view of Asgard stretching out below her. She rose with the intention of stretching her limbs. Crossing the room, she passed the large oval mirror and for a fleeting moment thought she caught a glimpse of someone.

Stepping back, she was indeed confronted by the image of Black Cat looking back at her in the reflective glass. There was a mocking smile on Cat's face and her through the holes of her black mask, green eyes narrowed.

'Did you get what you wanted Felicia? You've lost everything you never even knew you had. Loki doesn't care about you, he doesn't love you. He was attracted to me and without me, you're nothing baby. You're alone at the end, just as you deserve.'

Felicia spun away from the mirror. She was being judged by her alter ego? How ridiculous. Or was it only ridiculous for her to believe she could let go of Black Cat, when that identity had been a part of her for so long.

"Miss Hardy."

Thor's massive figure stood blocking the doorway. Usually assertive, he now appeared almost at a loss as to what to say next. He had knocked, and now thought he should have remained outside until Felicia answered.

"Is it time?" She asked. Thor's only response was to nod and lead Felicia from the room without another word. Felicia didn't pause, and fell into stride just behind the thunder god.

As they rounded a corner, Thor cast a glance over his shoulder at the mortal woman. He found it difficult to comprehend that this was the same woman who had helped Loki disrupt peace and order, yet she was now trying to redeem herself. Part of him could commend her for that brave action.

Thor knew that he could have, and should have, sent someone to collect her. In the end he chose to undertake the task himself, having seen Felicia only in passing before and painting a picture of her deceptive character through the words of others. Thor had not intended to meet the quiet creature who had arrived on Asgard.

Only a short while ago, he had mocked mortals for all of their weaknesses. Now, the mortal woman Jane Foster had his heart. Just as Loki had Felicia's. He could understand Loki's anger, but not his actions on Midgard. And if Loki allowed this woman to give her life then he was truly lost.

"Please," Felicia spoke up, "Do you know what happened to Agent Coulson?" She asked. When Thor came to a halt, she moved into his line of vision. She hadn't dared to ask Nick when he came to see her in the hospital. She knew she couldn't handle the way he would look at her, to see the blame in his eyes...

"I'm sorry, I can not say," Thor said, and watched at the woman's face fell now that she was free to believe the worst. "There's a possibility he's alive."

A shock of air left her. After a moment she was able to look and without a word he was able to read that glimmer of hope in her shining green eyes.

"Why are you doing this?"

In usual circumstances, Felicia would have bit back that he could wait for the answer. She was about to be put in front of a group of his peers after all. But this was not a usual circumstance.
Felicia could have explained herself and made Thor see things the way she did - that if her death appeased Thanos in some way then at least she could right a small part of the wrong she had created,

"I know that Frigga hoped my being here would change things. Perhaps prove Loki's humanity to you all. I think you wished for that too." Felicia forced a weak smile. "I'm sorry I couldn't be the answer you sought."
♠ ♠ ♠
CAPTAIN AMERICA. Yes, that's happening.