Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 23.

After driving me home that night, Taylor walked me to the door.
“I had fun today.” He said, looking down at his feet. I smiled.
“So did I.” I said. He looked back up at me and moved a little closer. I nonchalantly backed away.
“I was wondering.. what you were doing.. tomorrow.” He asked. I bit my lip. I really hadn’t planned on doing anything tomorrow. I was betting on the fact that I’d be staying home tomorrow, that was so I could sit and wait for Kellin to call, or text, or something.
“Um.. I.. I don’t think I have any plans.” I finally said. He smiled.
“Great.” He said. “So, how about a picnic tomorrow.. back at our usual spot.” I felt my cheeks get red. I knew where this was going.
“Come to think of it..” I said. “I just remembered.. I do have something. Um, we’ll.. we’ll have to do it another time. I’m sorry.” He sighed.
“Oh, no, it’s okay. It’s fine. Yeah, another time.” His face got red. He was now staring into my eyes.
“So…” He said, moving closer. I gently backed away, getting a grip on the doorknob.
“So, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” I said, turning the knob. He sighed again, aware of his rejection.
“Yeah..” He said softly. I smiled, and quickly went inside. I hadn’t meant to lead Taylor on. That was the last thing I wanted, was to get involved with him. The last thing I wanted was to get involved with anyone who wasn’t Kellin. All I wanted was Kellin. But mostly, right now I just wanted to hear from him.
That night, I was lying in bed, when I heard the rain start. I climbed out from under my blankets and looked out the window. I always thought rain was so beautiful. The way it looked, the way it sounded, even the way it smelt outside afterwards. The moon was full tonight. It shone bright, reflecting on the wet cement outside. I smiled. I thought of the night Kellin brought me to the beach. It was a full moon. We sat and talked, watching the waves crash against the sand until morning. Most people would say that that wasn’t much, but I think nothing is more romantic than when two people can just sit and express their feelings. And Kellin had a lot to talk about. His mom. His dad. How he took care of the family, since his mother was barely sober enough to function. And if you didn’t know him, you would never know he had this going on. Kellin never complained. Kellin never asked for help.
That’s why I was surprised when I saw his name pop up on my phone.