Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 24.

I quickly answered the phone.
“Kellin?” I said. I heard him sigh. My heart began to beat faster, just at the idea of talking to him again.
“Jess.” He finally said “I’m sorry for yelling at you.” I laughed.
“Kellin, it’s fine. Just.. w-where are you?” I could hear the wind and rain in the background. He was outside.
“Um.. Can.. can you come outside?” He said. He sounded tired, and his question sounded more like a plea.
“Yeah, yeah” I said “Where are you? I’ll be right out.” I quickly said.
“I’m outside your window.” He said. I looked down, and there he was. Soaking wet. He pushed his hair out of his face. I could see him with his half smile. He waved before hanging up the phone. I didn’t hesitate. I quickly opened the window and climbed down.
“Kellin.” I said. I threw my arms around his neck, hiding my face in his sopping wet sweatshirt. He held me tight, lifting me up. I wrapped my legs around him. I sighed. I had only been outside for a few minutes and I was soaked as well. But I hadn’t noticed. I moved away and looked up at him.
“What happened to your eye?” I asked. He blushed.
“It’s nothing, Jess.” He said. He looked down, moving his hair in front of his face. I pushed it back again. I knew what had happened, but I also knew Kellin was too embarrassed to talk about his mother’s drinking problem.
I stared into his eyes for a while. They were filled with sadness. Like the life had been sucked out of him, leaving nothing left inside.
He pulled me closer, gently kissing me on the forehead. My heart beat faster.
“Come inside.” I said. He leaned his forehead against mine.
“You mean I get to spend the night?” He said, I heard him giggle. I blushed.
“Yes” I sighed. He smiled.
“Since you insist..” He said. I took his hand.
“I.. also need you to fix up my back.” He mumbled. I looked back at him.
“Why? What.. what happened to your back?” He bit his lip, gently lifting up the back of his shirt.
There was a gash from his spine to his side.
“Kellin! What happened!” He looked away.
“No.” I said “Tell me.” He looked into my eyes, then down at my feet.
“My mom hit me with a bottle, okay?” He mumbled. My heart dropped. I didn’t bother asking any more questions.