Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 31.

Kellin’s P.O.V

I stayed home from school today. The last thing I wanted was people asking me about my cuts or bruised eyes. But I did want to see Jess.
I had been working on a song for her. It was the closest I could think of to perfect. It would be the easiest way to tell her how I felt. And she did say she enjoyed when I sang to her.
I was never the best at guitar. But I figured now was a good time to try.
A few hours went by. I countlessly rehearsed what I would say to her. I played out the song so many times, I could play it in my sleep. I even went out and bought her her favorite flowers. It was a good effort considering the last time they were destroyed in the car crash.
The more I rehearsed this, the more nervous I got. Why was I nervous? It was Jess. I had no reason to ever be nervous around her. Why is it when you finally see how much someone means to you, everything just get’s complicated? Maybe this is what Jess was talking about all along. Maybe this is why Jess didn’t want to date me.
Finally, I grabbed my guitar and flowers, and headed out the front door. I slowly made my way over to Jess’ house, silently practicing everything and anything I planned on saying to her. My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. I could feel my hands start to sweat. I swiftly wiped them on my pants. Then I saw her. I felt my cheeks burn, and my heart beat faster. I bit my lip. She looked beautiful, with her hair blowing back in the wind. I smiled. She was looking down at her feet. I wish she didn’t do that. I wish she’d just hold her head up so everyone could see just how beautiful she really is. I wish everyone could see everything I saw in her. I started to walk faster.
Then I saw Taylor. My heart dropped. He flew by me on his motorcycle and up Jess’ driveway. He was waiting for her by the time she got up there. She was smiling at him. My body went cold. What was going on? Was this why she didn’t want to be with me? Because of Taylor? The perfect jock? That’s what she wanted? I bit my lip, and stopped walking.
I wanted nothing more than for Jess’ to finally be mine, and I thought I had finally come up with the perfect way to make that happen. But I wasn’t Taylor. I could never be like Taylor. I wanted to go over there and sing to her, and tell her everything I had practiced, but I couldn’t bring my self to move.