Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 4.

It was raining now. I leaned my head against the window and felt the cold from outside. The rain would most likely wash the snow away before we got to school. Kellin loved the snow. So, of course, it would be taken away as easily as it came. This always happened to him. You could say Kellin’s life was never made any easier for him growing up.
His father left when he was 5 years old, and he hasn’t heard from him since. He’s had to act like a father to his little sister since he was 13. And his mom enjoyed drinking. Well, that’s how he puts it.
Kellin’s mother was a drinker, she didn’t just enjoy drinking. And when she was drinking, Mrs. Quinn became a different person. I remember always going over there for dinner parties with his and my families, but more recently, those parties were rare.
One day when Kellin came to pick me up for school, I noticed his eye; dark, black and blue. Something must of happened the night before. Kellin never liked talking about it. Kellin never liked admitting he had family problems to anyone. He never wanted to be the reason why his family looked bad. That’s all Kellin ever wanted; was a family. A real family.
I looked over at him. I pictured him and I, living in a small house together, one or two kids, both lucky enough to look exactly like him. He’d come home from work, and come into the kitchen, give me a kiss hello, and sit at the table and ask the kids about their day at school. They’d show him all of the things they did, and everything they made while I made everyone dinner. It was perfect.

He must of caught me staring.

“What is it?” he asked. I felt my face get red. Wonderful.
“Nothing” I sigh. I lean back into my seat, staring out the window, watching the rain slowly slide down the glass.
“You’re really quite this morning” he says. He touches my hair, and I feel my heart beat faster.
“It’s nothing” I laugh, gently pushing his hand away. I hear him sigh.

Why did he have to be so perfect? Why wasn’t he given everything he deserved. He deserved the perfect family that he wanted. He deserved a father there for him, and being able to be a kid while he can; not having to be a parental figure just because someone with those responsibilities decided to bail. Kellin deserved the world, and I could give him the world, if he wanted it.

My thought was interrupted by him pulling over the curb as he drove into the school parking lot.

“Sorry” he laughed “I’m still getting used to this.” I smiled.
“What, driving?” Kellin made sure to start driving and got a car as soon as he could, that meant a reason to be out of the house, and that’s all he wanted.
“Nooooo..” he said, messing up my hair. I pushed away. “This new car.”

His aunt just recently moved up from Florida. She’d been staying with Kellin and his family to help out with his siblings and with his mom’s drinking problem. I think I was more grateful for her than he was. With her there, he was able to come over more often. And of course, that’s all I ever wanted. I appreciated every second I got to spend with him.

He walked around and opened my door. And a perfect gentlemen.
“Thanks” I said, now smiling and blushing worse than before. I heard him giggle. He obviously saw me blushing.
“No problem at all” He said shutting the door behind me. We slowly walk towards the school. I look around and see couples everywhere. Of course. Isn’t that what they always say? When you’re single all you see are couples, and when you’re in a relationship, all you see are single people. I suppose that’s true, somewhat.

But I know if I was in a relationship, I wouldn’t have time to concentrate on other people. I’d be too busy having to control my blushing cheeks and keep from smiling like an idiot.. well, if it was with Kellin.
And then bam. It hit me. Literally. I was knocked off my feet and onto the concrete by the side door.