Status: enjoy.

Postcards and Polaroids

Chapter 7.

He was looking at me now. Thinking.
“I just..” he stopped, looking down now. “There’s a lot that could happen. And I love what we have, and I don’t want anything to ruin this. I was stupid for doing that..”

I could feel my chances of finally having him slipping away.

“Oh..” I finally said. I looked away, now ripping the grass out from the ground and scattering it around my feet. It was quiet for a while after that. I don’t think either of us knew what else to say.

“Jess, I.. don’t take it the wrong way.. I..” I stopped him.
“I get it.” I said. Finally, I got up. And whipped all the grass and dirt from my pants.
“We should get going.” He looked up at me, but didn’t say anything.
“Really..” I said “It’s fine. We should get going.” I held out my hand. He gently held on, and pulled himself up. He was now looking down at me with his bright blue eyes. The almost descended sun was glaring through the trees, perfectly hitting his face. And of course, like right out of a movie, the perfect gust of wind blows his hair into his face, as if God was reaching out and teasing me. He was dangling Kellin right out in front of me; taunting me, saying “You can’t have him. You’ll never have him.”
Then, he leaned in, gently kissing me on the forehead. The rush of emotions that waved over me made me dizzy. My body went cold, as my cheeks felt like they’d been set on fire.
“We’d better get going..” He said, starting to walk off, gently tugging the end of my sweater. I couldn’t help but smile, and follow him. He was perfect. There was nothing else to it.
Any other guy would of jumped right at the opportunity of a “Friends with benefits” kind of relationship. But not him. As good of friends as we were, he still always managed to leave me confused, but still always wanting more.
If God wasn’t teasing me before, he now had Kellin dangling like a piece of meat, just high enough for me to touch, but never get a firm grasp.