(Hmong) Ghost Tales

Woman in White

This took place in 2000-2001. My parents, were out at some benefit--as usual--and had brought my older brother and sister with them. This left only my younger sister, my grandma and grandpa, my barely one-year-old brother and me at home. Eventually, two of my cousins, PK and PH came over. Since we all--minus PH--liked watching horror movies (even at our young age--5/6 years old). In particular, we enjoyed watching this Hmong movie called--or at least what we always called it--"Sah and Gao Houa". It wasn't anything gruesome and extremely horrifying. We had watched the movie countless times already, so it wasn't too scary.

As we began to watch the movie, I went into the kitchen (which was attached to the living room) and filled some bottles of milk for my baby brother, who would be sleeping with my grandma and grandpa that night. After making the bottles, I placed it into the pink and white cooler we had, placed an icepack in there, and then headed to the stairs what would lead upstairs.

To get to the stairs, you have to go through the pair of doors which lead to the hallway just behind the living room. As you went through the doorway, there was a bathroom in front of you, my parents' bedroom to the left, and the study room (with the stairs) to the right.

I headed upstairs and dropped off the cooler with the bottle before heading back downstairs to join my cousins and younger sister. As I reached the bottom of the stairs and turned to face my parent's bedroom door, I see a glimpse of something white dashing into the living room. It seemed to have ran out from the bathroom.

I quickly followed it and went into the living room where my cousins and sister were all sitting in the dark and watching the Hmong movie.

I asked them, "Did one of you guys just come out of the bathroom?"

They shook their head. And PH was the only one wearing white--a sweatshirt, but I knew it couldn't have been her because she was buried in between her sister and my sister.

Being only six, I thought nothing of the matter, and we all began watching the movie. But it wasn't long before PH started feeling really sick. It was strange timing--after seeing the white figure and then PH getting sick all of a sudden. Even as a six year old--with a grandma who was a shaman and a highly traditional and religious family--I knew that there was something wrong.

But as soon as I told my cousins and sister that I was going to go get my grandma and have her come down, PH suddenly started to feel better. After that, we stopped watching the movie, and went onto watching something more upbeat.

To this day, I don't know what I actually saw. I can still remember seeing the white object dash out from the bathroom, PH getting sick all of a sudden, and then she magically become fine the moment I mention telling my grandma to come downstairs. I can be analyzing it too much, thinking that whatever I saw and PH becoming sick all of a sudden is related. She could have been sick and didn't feel sick until that moment.

Then again, people say that when a person gets their energy drained by a spirit, the person becomes/feels ill suddenly.