(Hmong) Ghost Tales

Night Stroll

So, this story isn’t “scary”, but it still freaked me out since it happened to me.

This happened about 6-7 years back, I believe. My family and I had recently moved into our new house, and my grandmother was visiting. I was in my room, and I came down to greet her shortly after she arrived. However, when I came downstairs, I couldn’t find my grandmother and my two sisters. I then went into the kitchen and asked my mom where my grandmother and sisters were, and she said they probably went outside for a stroll—my siblings and I tended to go out at night and take walks together now and then.

I then headed outside through the garage and into the driveway. Outside, it was pitch dark since we lived in the “country” side, so there weren’t any street lights—let alone houses. Strangely enough, though, our garage lights, which were motion activated, didn’t come on as I stepped outside. Because of this, I didn’t go out and meet my grandmother and sisters, even though I could hear them talking in the distance. Instead, I waited for them to get back.

I stood in the driveway for a few minutes and waited for my siblings and grandmother to come back. I could hear the three of them talking in Hmong, but strangely, I couldn’t understand or make out any of the words they were saying. Also, I could hear the sound of them walking on the gravel (we don’t have sidewalks since we’re in the country—so there’s the road and then gravel on both side it), but the three of them never seemed to get any closer. I eventually got fed up and headed inside.

As I walked down the hallway, I passed the kitchen and then the living rooms. To my left was the gathering room, and to my right was the pair of French doors that led into the TV room. And just as I looked into the TV room, I saw all my siblings in there, along with my grandmother. I immediately went into the room and asked them if they were outside at all. They told me they were all in the basement and had just come up.

The hairs on my body immediately stood, and I demanded my siblings to stop lying to me because I heard them outside talking and walking. After all, we were the only Hmong—yet alone Asian people—who lived in the area, so who else could it have been? My grandmother then confirmed my siblings’ story, and I was completely dumbfounded and freaked out. Since then, no one has ever gone out and taken strolls at night anymore.