Hold On Til May

I

The rain was extremely annoying. I don’t know why I hate it, it just bothers me. The heavy raining is what bothered me the most, the cry of the skies as if the heavens were torn coming down to earth to show its sorrow. I don’t like when it’s sunny either. I always feel as if I’m melting even if I go outside for 5 minutes to walk to the mailbox. I hate that Vegas is extremely hot and dry all the time.

I just want to stay inside all day. Hibernate. Stay away from everything.

All summer I had stayed inside and read books quietly on my bed, under the blankets even if it was over 100 degrees. My mother tried to get me out of the house, but I always refused to leave my bedroom. My mother is a single parent; she has been raising me by herself ever since my dad left us when I was two years old. Things were always complicated. Before, we both had been living in Visalia, California with my mom’s friend Restal while my dad was away in Vegas with his current wife, celebrating their new life together. Now, I’m 16 and things changed, quick. My mom lost her job and didn’t have enough money to support both of us at the same time.

“I just don’t know what to do,” my mom exhaled in desperation. I hid behind the stairs and peeked through the bars holding the railing up. “I don’t even have enough money to pay the bills.”
“Maybe she should go out with her father?” Restal suggested. My mom’s jaw clenched as she gripped her coffee cup tighter.

“Maybe, but what would she think about that?”

“I don’t know, you can always ask her.” I rolled my eyes. The last time I talked to my dad was 2 years ago when he called me on my 10th birthday. I missed him but he never called just to talk anymore.

My mom scoffed. “She’s not going to agree even if I tried to convince her.”
Restal picked up the bills that were scattered all over the table and started to file through them. “Well, it is one less person to take care of. Think about it Audrey.” I heard the chair drag against the tile floor and a glass clatter in the sink.

“I can’t just let my own daughter go live with the man who left my life to be with another woman. What if he does that to her, Tal? What if he leaves her by herself?”

Restal let out a small laugh. “Ember will be fine. Just consider it.”


Of course I didn’t want to, but I had no choice. I didn’t want my mom to struggle trying to keep up with me. She deserves a break. So, I agreed to move in with my dad while my mom stayed with my aunt out in Visalia. So here I am, in Vegas, with my annoying dad, controlling step-mom, Michelle, my little brother, Skylar, and my older brother brother, Jaime. I swear he’s the only sane one in my family.

Michelle made sure to make me as uncomfortable as possible. She never calls me down to eat dinner with the family. Every time they leave, I have to stay home with Jaime and listen to him play guitar. All I have is a room and a few books. I don’t feel welcomed at all. I miss Visalia.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this.. haha we'll see. Don't be a silent reader?