二十歳の戦争(20 year old war)

Prologue

It’s noon when I walk inside the studio right on time for practice. Yukiya is plucking his guitar strings as usual, always in tune with music like it’s apart of his anatomy, it’s his heart, literally, and it helps him to live. I used to feel the same way, once upon a time.

He usually ignores everyone till Ryuji starts beating a rhythm; I don’t take offense to it anymore. I don’t really acknowledge anyone either, I love music but it’s starting to feel more like a job, than a passion. Our drummer and bass player stroll in a few minutes later, Ryuji is mostly silent but nods at me while Kenji gives me a friendly greeting, I can only give him a slight smile.

Ryuji is tapping his cymbals and Kenji is tuning his bass, our guitarist still in his head and as expected, Natsu is late. It used to get on my last nerve as I found myself yelling at the lead singer with our manager about being serious with this band and its future. But for Natsu it goes in one ear and out the other, like a child. Now I can’t even bother with him, knowing I’ll only get a chuckle in the end.

We all start playing Olympus since we have to wait for the lead singer and while our manager is tapping her feet scoffing and swinging her pony tail as she paces back and forth. I can hear the chorus in my head when we play it, Natsu’s voice drilled into my mind like an unforgotten memory. The music seems to calm Yukari’s annoyance, until the said lead singer waltzes in like he isn’t an hour late, like always. His body drags and he smiles lazily at our manager and pats her head when she’s about to tear his head off.

He picks up the microphone and joins in to ignore her. Despite his childish antics and oh so forgetting mind, he knows which bridge to which part of the song, which lyrics fit into the pattern. It’s ingenious when he does that, and I’m so impressed every time.

His voice blends perfectly like silk and I can match the keys in time with his melody, like wind and water. Flowing in any direction, together in peace or in fury. For these tiny moments I savor like water in a desert, because that’s when I feel like I belong in this world somehow, not just an overworked person who's in a band that gets barely any radio play or cohesive team work.

I can barely stand the sight of Natsu and his personal being, but the music brings us together and I find myself loving him again.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is an entirely new pairing for me to work with. bare with me, this could go no where.