Hello, Angel

The Ghost Of You

Franks P.O.V

"Wait.. What are you telling me?" I chocked on the words

"Audrey, she was ran over by a drunk driver. She's being a survivor, she hasn't woken up yet, but she will.. She's a survivor." Gerard's words started trailing off at the end. "Her pain medication mixed with the concussion is why she's out cold... Doctors say it's a miracle she didn't have a significant brain injury."

"Tell me what's wrong again?" I pleaded, wishing this was an awful nightmare.

"Fully broken right arm, sprained neck, 4 broken ribs on the right and 2 on the left, and I can't even begin to list all the muscles she tore and wrecked. And minor stitches and road rash on various parts of her body."

I had been gone just over two weeks for a family event, and in just three more days I was supposed to be home, with Audrey back in my arms.

"Frankie, man, are you okay?" Gerard asked.

"I'll be on the next flight home... Oh? And if she wakes up? Tell her I love her more then life its self."

I sat in a cold, hard chair in my terminal. God, why is life always such a shit show. I fumbled with the small velvet box, the one that held so many possibilities. I had finally asked my mom for the family ring. I knew she was the only one who's finger would fit it perfectly. I bounced words back and forth in my head, but nothing seemed big enough, perfect enough to ask her to be mine forever. How was I supposed to ask her now? I didn't want to waste another precious moment with her not being my wife. I had forgotten how everything could change in the blink of an eye. What if she had died and I could have never asked her? I shuddered at the thought.

I was so thankful I only had an hour and a half flight. I didn't want to think any more. Everything was far too scary and morbid.

I turned on my phone as soon as the plane landed. I had not brought anything back except for a small carry on. I couldn't deal with claiming luggage right now. I had to run to the hospital and be by her side. I looked down at my phone. "1 new voicemail" it claimed.

"It's Gerard. She woke up, she's okay. She's hurting, but she's okay. The doctors are reassessing her now that she's awake. I had to leave the room because they were taking blood, and well, you know how I am with needles... Anyway, don't worry. Drive here safely. Bye."

I couldn't be more relieved. I caught myself thanking a God that I forgot existed.