The Outbreak Files - File # 1

Outbreak

It was a typical night at J's bar. Some uninvited guests crashed the party. Our race for survival was just beginning.

Chapter One.

"Thanks for coming" the waitress said while she wiped a glass with a towel

"No problem, always a pleasure to put scumbags in their place. I'll have a beer, please" The police officer replied with a smile

"Kevinnn" The waitress scolded in a play full voice "You are on duty! You'll get in trouble!"

"Ah come on now Cindy, Elliot has the bastard handcuffed in the unit. He's no rat, he's got me all covered up" The police officer spoke with a big grin on his face.

The police officer. Officer Kevin Ryman, a very athletic well built guy, 6"0, often teased by his fellow police officers for his Tom Cruise resemblance, at his 31 years of age, works for the R.P.D (Raccoon City Police Department). He possesses superior athletic abilities and is an outstanding shot. A all-round good guy, he's a dyed-in-the-wool optimist who doesn't dwell at petty matters. His happy-go-lucky personality sometimes works against him - He's failed the S.T.A.R.S selection process twice.

"What was his deal anyways?" Kevin tapped his fingers on the table

"He started screaming and cussing at all the customers" Rock and roll music faintly played in the background.

"He knocked a table over and kicked it, suddenly he got on his knees and vomited. Guess he was drunk, he had calmed down but we still kept an eye on him" Cindy, the waitress, slid a beer bottle towards Kevin.

Cindy. Cindy Lennox, working hard at age 24 to gather money to start school, is the most popular waitress at J's bar due to her irresistibly bright smile. She's a helpful, service-oriented person who always thinks of other people first. Even in extreme situations, she quickly rallies her courage and adapts to the reality of a harsh society.

"So what, Captain Commando and Oldie-saurus over there did not do anything to control the situation? Wait, never mind, they probably didint even see or hear crap, those old bastards"

Kevin spoke as he glanced across the bar at two security guards.

R.P.D's and R.S.O's had this long lasting rivalry, usually, Raccoon City Security Officers and Raccoon City Police Officers did not like each other, although some think the rivalry is too exaggerated, and that some officers hate each other just to follow the trend.

Cindy glared at Kevin. "Be nice. They where as aware of the situation as everyone else was, they just got off duty, they come here for peace and distraction, not confrontations."

The TV news where on, a new's anchor gave the latest breaking news every hour, at the time in which Cindy would lower the volume of music a little bit.

"An incident occurred during the game between the Raccoon sharks and the Oulwok thunders, apparently the game was interrupted when an unruly fan got out of control and attacked crowds, the number of injured is not yet known and..."

Mark shook his head as he ate a plate of fried beans.

"I tell you Bob, this world gone nuts! It aint what it used to be back in our time"

Currently working for the Raccoon City Security company, Mark Wilkins is a Vietnam veteran, a tall man, even at age 56, His strength has not diminished. He has tasted the emptiness of war, and now, more than anything, he just wants to live in peace.

Bob is his co-worker and long time friend, whom he had met in Vietnam, they had formed a strong friendship since, both Bob and Mark just wanted to work, relax, and go back to their wife and kids.

"Bob, arent you eating nything', hey, Bob, Bob, where's your mind at?"

Mark shook Bob by the shoulder, Bob had his head on the bar counter, buried in his arms. Bob lifted his head up a bit to look at Mark

"H-huh?"

The night at J's bar was very slow, few costumers, only Kevin, Mark, Bob, and a subway agent who had just gotten off work, and two of the staff, Cindy and the bartender Will. But it was a nice, calm, peaceful night...

The door swung open, hitting hard against the wall. A odd looking man walked in, he looked very dirty, mud-covered shoes, jeans with many strange stains on it... the shirt, the blue shirt had blood on it, his long hair draped over his face, it was very dirt and greasy and strong foul smell came from this man.

"Mmm" Will put down a plate on the table and turned to look at the costumer, approaching him slowly

"What a weird costumer" Will got closer

The attention of the whole bar turned to this man, everyone just stared, the man stood motionless.

"Who is this guy?!" Mark asked in a firm loud voice, at that same time, Bob suddenly collapsed from the stool and hit the floor.

"Damn it, he's unconscious, Bob, are you alright" Mark tried to get his friend on to his feet.

At the other end of the bar Kevin gripped the gun on his belt, his favorite .45, Cindy automatically moved behind Kevin, as if seeking protection. Next to the windows, the Subway agent gripped the pencil on his hand tightly, feeling oddly tense.

Will stood in front of the costumer "Can I help you"

The customer looked up. "What the!" Will stared at his gruesome face, his whole left side was missing, flesh and blood showing through, veins pulsated and squirted fluids, green slob ran from his mouth down to his neck

"Guhhhhhhh" the man reached out and bit Will right on the neck, ripping off a chunk of flesh "Ahahahhhhh!" Will pushed the man out the door, Kevin stood up, and shot the man, only to make him walk back a bit more. Will closer the door and locked it, as he slid down against it, holding his wound with a hand, breathing hard and heavy.

THUMP! another man slammed his face and hands on the window

"AhH! Holy fucking crap yo!" Jim was distracted, full of awe and disbelief and he watched what had just happened, that this surprised him, he threw the pencil up in the air and knocked down his crossword puzzles down from the table.

Jim Chapman, short, energetic guy, dressed in his jeans, blue shirt and blue jacket with red stripe uniform, at age 24 he is A agent with the Raccoon City subway, Jim is friendly and cheerful, but sometimes reveals a hesitant side. Even though he means well, he talks to much and sometimes bothers people around him. To his credit, he has strong powers of intuition and is skillful at solving puzzles.

Jim walked backwards as the man pressed himself on the window, then a woman, who's flesh started to rip against the glass.

"shit shit shit shit what the fuck man, ya'll seeing this crap? Yo, Police guy, the hell is going on man!" Jim gripped Kevin by the sleeve

Kevin looked up and down at Jim, at his name tag, then gently pushed his hand off, then walked forward, pointing his gun up at the window, the two people banging on it "If I knew, id tell ya
Jimbo" Kevin looked at the woman with the open flesh.

"Holy..."

People outside screamed and shouted, cried for help, people ran away from others... they where.... biting... biting and clawing at random people. "Crap!" these people ran towards Kevin, hitting the windows. A few went at the door, banging it.

"We gotta get the hell outta here! Obviously through the front is not an option"

Cindy Ran over to Will, whom sat against the rattling door, motion less.

"Up stairs, to the second floor! up to the staffroom, we can reach the rooftop from there!"

While Cindy bent over and tried to help Will, Mark was able to get Bob up, shouldering him for support.

"You, give me a hand!" Kevin pushed one of the barrel tables towards the door, Jim looked around and pushed the one he sat on. "Mmgah!"

Cindy put her hand over Will's neck wound, and with the other she caressed his face.

"Oh my god, Will, Will, hang in there, you are gonna be alright. Come on now, we've got to get out of here"

Will leaned forward and fell flat on the ground, moving away from the door.

"N-no... Cindy..."

Cindy ripped part of the skirt and placed it over his neck

"No Cindy, listen, im... im going to die..."

He reached into a pocket and gave Cindy a key

"Its.. for the staff room, get... them...."

Will stopped breathing, moving, no response.

"Noo no, noo Will! WILL!"

Cindy rested her head on Will's chest and began sobbing, crying, tears ran down her soft cheeks like waterfalls.

Kevin walked over to Cindy and put his hand on her shoulder.

"Cindy... those barrels only will give us so much time... we got to get moving"

Cindy stood up, looking down at Will... she slowly backed away

"This is a key to the staff room on the second floor" Cindy showed the key to the rest.

The five made their way behind the bar, Cindy used the key on the door, and through they went.

They stood at foot of the stairs between the 1F and 2F. There was obviously doubt amongst the five, since they where entirely sure what would happen once they reached the roof top.

They made their way up the stairs, where there was a platform , then more stairs. At the platform, there was a window on the wall.

"Look, that might be useful!" Jim ran towards the window, underneath, close to the edge of the wall, was a steel metal pipe, Jim picked it up.

"Dope. Could be a weapon"

Ssksskzz Breaking glass! One of those things burst out through the window, grabbing Jim from behind, it bit on to Jim, wrapping its arms around him, trying to pull him out the window. "jaahhhh" the thing moaned, not spoke, moaned.

"Yaaagh! Help a brother out yo! Help me!"

Kevin aimed at the window, trying to get a clear shot.

"Damn it, stop moving!" Kevin aimed his gun around.

Mark let go off Bob, leaning him on the wall, he tried to push the man apart from Jim "Hang in there young man!" Graahhh! Mark was able to push them apart, Jim dropped to the ground and Kevin shot a clear one, hitting the man between the eyes, which then in a expressionless face, fell back and down the alley.

"Jeez! Holy crap, crap! I almost fucking died yo! thanks guys, thanks for helping a bro out! Phew! Holy shit man what a scare"

Jim stood at the spot, shaking his ass off.

Kevin touched Jim's shoulder

"Are you okay? Did he bite you, Jim?"

Jim looked over at his shoulder "Nah Cop diddy Cop, he bit into the jacket"

"Lets keep moving now" Mark was already heading up the next set of stairs, shouldering Bob.

As they walked up, Kevin tapped Jim on the back, as if showing he was glad he was o.k

"The names Kevin, you know the waitress, Cindy." Cindy gave Jim a weak, sadly-forced smile"

Mark glanced at Kevin. "Im Mark, this is my friend Bob"

Jim gripped the "weapon" tightly. "Jim's the name"

"Alright, Jimbo, keep sharp and aware of your surroundings" Kevin stepped in front of them all, clearing the area while aiming his gun as they stepped on to the staff room.

Here is where most of the employees hung out when not attending down stairs. Straight ahead was a door, and an adjacent hallways leading off to the left. The color scheme here was very boring and dark. The light bulbs hanging from the ceiling did not provide much light, the walls where painted of brown and a very stained white.

------Meanwhile downstairs at the first floor--------
Thump, thump, THUMP! three crazies banging on the door of J's bar where able to finally knock it down, breaking in half as they pushed it against the barrels and they crawled over them. The man who had attacked will came in again, along with the two others from the window. The woman, in a black dress with broken heels, and white stockings now tainted red. Her face was expressionless like all the others, white eyes which seem to stare off into nothing. Pieces of torn flesh on her face with puss and blood oozing out. The other man dressed in jeans and in a tucked in red shirt, had his jaw missing, a disgusting sight of only top teeth and a loosely hung tongue.
"Ohhhhh" "auhhhhghh" moans and groans is all these people emitted. They saw the waiters body on the ground, all three let themselves go on top of the lifless body, biting, scratching, devouring his skin and flesh. These people... where not people... they where something else, something that seemed to have been created directly in hell, but this was unbeknown to the survivors trying to escape the bar.....

--->

"Holy shit! Did you guy hear that? I think they've come into the bar!" Jim gripped his iron pipe even more tightly

"We gotta' keep moving on now, lets move lets move! Where to now Cindy? We got little time" Mark demanded to keep moving. Demanded, that was his style, always military.

"That door sraight ahead is just the break room, nothing important there, just a bed but I assume its not the best time to rest. There, through that hallway" Cindy pointed at the adjacent hallway leading to the left.

"There are three doors in there, locker room, the owners room, and a door that leads up to the the third floor into the liquor room, then there's another door which leads up to the roof top. They key to go to the liquor room has a blue tag on it, Charlie the Janitor should have it in his locker, he always leaves it unlocked"

The group headed straight then to the left. Kevin pointed to some wooden boards leaning next to the wall after the door way and a nail gun the floor

"Oh, Charlie was supposed to fix the roof leak with those, I guess he left it unattended. I wonder at what time he left... did not see him leave... I hope he's okay..." Cindy walked over the door left of the hall way, Ill get the key from his locker. Cindy walked into the room.

"These suckers will help, Jimbo, come help me out, lets board this open door way with the boards and nail gun"

As they did, Mark helped Bob sit down against the wall.

"Bob... Bob.. How are you doing? Hang tough, remember, we are solders, we always hung in the worse situations..."

Bob leaned his head back, and looked at Mark in the eye, then just shook his head "no" taking in a deep breath.... Bob could feel himself getting worse and worse.

-->

Cindy stood by herself, in front of Will's locker, she could not help but stop by it and look inside. Cindy had found a small notebook, inside of it there was a lonely sentence that read "Cindy's smile is as beautiful as ever" Then Cindy began to sob and cry.

The desperate and panicked screams and cries heard outside in the distressed city reminded Cindy that time was short. A larger paper underneath the small notebook caught Cindy's attention. It was from Charlie the Janitor to Will:

"I hate the kids living in the next apartment. Can you believe this, Will? They sneak into this building via an accessway on the roof almost every day and cause so much trouble! The day before yesterday, they closed the shutter on the 3rd floor while I wasn't looking. Because of that, I couldn't go to the roof to get the package I needed.

Then I got a good scolding from Jack. How ridiculous! It's not even my fault!

I can't remember how many times they broke the lock that holds the sign to the
chain-link fence.

However, I have welded it so that they will never be able to enter.

If they should break it, I will sue them for damaging my property. They better their butts, those kids!"

"Grah!" Charlie busted out out of one of the lockers, startling and knocking Cindy to the ground, laying on top of her, he leaned in, his mouth wide open, trying to bite Cindy anywhere he could, Cindy's eyes revealed fear while Charlie's only revealed hunger, in deep sunken black pit eyes, fear over whelmed her as she began loosing strength and was unable to hold him back

"Hh-help! Help me pleasee, help!"

Kevin kicked the door open, Jim right behind him with the pipe raised above his head

"Hey get off her you freak!"

Kevin kicked Charlie in the face, knocking him flat on his back, Cindy crawled backwards hugging up on Jim's legs, sobbing and crying in fear. Charlie stood up, slowly

"Gghghhhh" He extended his arms, walking towards Kevin.

"Stop, stop right there! STOP!"

But Charlie kept on moving, so Kevin deliver four loud shouts from his powerful .45 handgun, hitting him on the chest. The shots knocked him a few steps back, then Charlie kept on moving forward again. Kevin tried shooting again. "Tk, Tk" a click, empty click, he had to reload.

"Damn it! Jim, Jimbo! whack him! I need to reload, whack him on the head!"

Jim hesitated, "Uhh, uhhh" Jim was unsure, he was not used to hitting human beings.

"Hit him, Jim!" Kevin fumbled with his utility belt.

Phho! One shot straight through Charlie's head, the guy lend out a final moan, and felt back, for good. Mark stood with his gun pointing down to Charlie, Bob behind him leaning on the doorframe. Mark put his handgun back into his own belt and nodded with his head.

"Lets keep moving. Where's the key?" Mark went back to shouldering Bob.

Jim walked cautiosly, towards the dead body.

"T-T-There, the front po-pocket.... a blue plastic tag...."

Jim looked at Kevin. "Listen, yo, Im sorr-"

"Its okay" Kevin interrupted. Get the key and lets get the hell outta here"

Jim covered his mouth, trying not to vomit, leaned down, and took the key from Charlie's pocket.

They walked out of the locker room, they could hear footsteps, feet being dragged across the floor, they could hear them coming up the stairs, getting much closer. As Jim unlocked the door, Cindy slapped herself on the fore head.

"God... Im so stupid and useless, I forgot! To go into the door up in the liquor room that leads to the rooftop, we need another key, this one has a blue tag, Im pretty sure its in Jacks room over at the end of the hallway"

Cindy pointed at the room at the end, one across a couch and a desk where employees sat down to watch TV.

"Jack uses the storage room up on the roof top to store personal belongings, and he likes to hang out, looking down at the city and thinking, its a special place for him, I am sure the key is in his room but it must be well hidden"

Mark glanced at the other end of the hallway, where the boards where covering up the doorway, through the wide cracks they could see the people from outside, walking in a slow and odd way, but for sure going following them.

"Well, we obviously don't have the time to crap around and look for a damn key! Lets keep moving, we can knock it down once we are there"

Mark ordered around too much, it was getting on to Kevin's nerves.

Cindy shook her head "No, thats not possible, its a reinforced metal door, we dont want people sneaking from the rooftop into the liquor room and stealing all the expensive wines and beers"

Mark pounded his fist against the wall, which made Cindy step back, startled and afraid.

"We can not afford to stop moving! We can not be fooling round' in here, lets go and kick the hell outta' that door it can't be THAT sturdy!"

At this moment Kevin stepped in between Mark and Cindy, Jim just watched but in his face you knew Mark was acting on nerves, the situation was very confusing since it seemed like a city epidemic, but they had to make the right choices

"Cool off, Mark! get it through your thick Marine head that the stupid door is reinforced, if we go and try to knock down we will loose more time damn it, im sure we can find the key, it can't be so hard to find it in a room"

Mark poked Kevin on the chest. "You and you two are insane, if we get killed it'll be your god damn fault, you got that, solider?"

Kevin stepped closer "Careful when you use our creators name"

Mark confronted him "You be careful when you use the name, "Marine" got that, boy?"

They stared at each other, into each others eyes, but the sound of the boards starting to break snapped them out of it, then they made their way to the room and went in. Mark sat Bob down on a leather couch, then he and Kevin put all their strength against the door, they knew soon the bastards would try and break in here.

"Jim, help me look! Look into the most obscure and secretive places, it has to have a red tag on it"

Cindy and Jim began moving around the room, knocking over books, coats, chairs, it was a very small room, a rectangle. Next to the door long the wall where a bunch of books, the wall where Bob sat only had that chair, the wall opposite to the books was empty except for a desk with a drawer that was locked. Cindy was sure that drawer had never been opened since she had never seen a key. On top of that desk was a paper, which she folded up and put it in her pocket, and a key, but that was only the storage room key. on the wall opposite to the couch, was something that caught Jim's attention. Jim just stood, frozen, staring at the wall.

"Hey, Jimbo! Quit fooling around, why are you standing there for?! We wont be able to hold on much longer!"

Banging on the door, it shook violently, they where trying to get in.

Jim kept on staring, ignoring Kevin. Cindy shook him by the shoulders "JIM!"

Jim snapped his fingers. "Aha!" then pointed at a picture frame on the wall "I got it! Take a look at that picture!"

Cindy looked up. "Its a Jack Daniels incomplete artwork."

Jim gave Cindy a bright smile "Thats its babe. Look at it, the part that is missing has the shape of a bottle! Look, the part that is missing is the part that is most Jack Daniels bottles, maybe if we get the bottle and put it in, the frame might pop off or something!"

Cindy knew it sounded a bit silly, but it made sense, it was a very valuable key for Jack.

"Daniels IS Jacks favorite drink..." Cindy said in a soft tone.

Kevin smiled, he was positive Jim was on to something, or at least his happy go lucky attitude made him think so. Mark only gave a disgusted face, not only because the idea seemed very movie like, but because he knew there was nothing else to do, it was the last chance, Mark knew he had acted on nerves, and that door would not be knocked down, it was the only way

"I hope you are Jim, I hope you are right. Ready? We are gonna let go! get ready to fight!"

Mark got a bat leaning next to the door, then the two let the door go! It came down, broke in three pieces, and four of these ghoulish looking people walked in.

Kevin kicked one, and shot the other on the head, Jim whacked one alongside the head, making him fall down, Mark with all his special and powerful strength, took a fool swing at a the fourth addition, Wills half eaten body. With that one swing, Will knocked down and never got up, reducing the count to those things back to three.

"MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!" Kevin shouted out, "Go!"

Mark got Bob and walked him out, following Jim, then came Cindy, and Kevin gave a few more shots and kicks and knocked the broken door across the entrance.

"Come on, come come on, come on, crew!"

Jim ran to the door which they had unlocked with the key with the blue tag, glancing at the broken boards. Hopefully no more crazy sons of bitched followed up stairs.

Another set of stairs, but a straight and short walk up, where another door was, a sign read "24 hour camera surveillance" wondering where the camera room was. Mark handed the bat over to a now very weakened Bob, and he pulled out his own handgun. Behind him, as they went up the stairs, Kevin aimed down to where they had come from, waiting for the crazies to come from the staff room. Ahead of Mark was Cindy who was behind Jim. Jim swung the door open.

"Holy crap!" Jim stared in awe, millions and millions of bottles. Bottles where on racks, boxes, crates, there where also barrels, then more crates and racks. Thousands and thousands of bottles, different shapes and sizes.

"Holy shit yo, this must be a alcoholic persons heaven!"
Jim looked around the mighty room, and at the door across it, the door to freedom

"Snap out of it, solider!" Mark yelled. "Find the bottle and lets head back down, quick! Who knows how many more of those things are inside the bar now"

Cindy ran to a set of bottles on a rack, she knew the place perfectly. She got a bottle, a Jack Daniels, Jim was right, it was the part of the missing picture

"Got it!"

The group headed back down stairs, and to the staff room. Kevin fired two shots, Mark only one. Kevin had few ammo. left for his .45 and Mark only had the 15 bullets preloaded on to his hand gun and Bob, too weak to draw his, had 7 bullets. Only a few shots, other than that, they tried pushing and kicking away the hostile crowd, which grew bigger and bigger.... these people... staggered... they walked in slow movement, and they seemed to not go directly at them. By know they knew they where not all that conscious, either way, they had to get out soon.

Back in the owners room, they pushed over the couch against the entrance and knocked over book racks, trying to obstruct the now open entrance as much as they could. Cindy handed the bottle over to Jim.

"Alright, this is it..." Jim gripped the bottle, then settled it into the bottle shaped hole on the picture.

Click.

A click was heard near the desk where Cindy had gotten the storage room key for. Cindy pulled open the drawer that was previously locked, a key with a red tag! Cindy got the key and raised it, Kevin laughed and Mark could not help but smile.

"Yo! what'd I say man? What'd I say? A brother is never wrong!"

Cindy once again showed the bright cheerful smile she had not given since she saw Will give his "last" breath

"Alright, lets move!" Mark and Kevin shot a few rounds, Jim hit two or three across the head, but they where too many now, so they dodged and evaded them for the most part, running back up into the liquor room and across to the metal door. They unlocked it and went through, closed it again and locked it from the outside.

The roof. It was a square, a small one. To the right was a small room, which was the storage room, straight ahead was an accessway that Charlie had written about, it was fenced, but there used to be a slot where the kids went through which was fenced as well now. In front of that where big lighted letters that said "J's Bar". Jim looked up at the sky, it was dark, the stars shined and the moon glowed in a full form. It was a beautiful night which had now turned into a hectic and horrifying night. Kevin could hear people screaming and yelling, the commotion was not only around there but through the entire city.

Jim put his hands on his knees and bend over to take a deep gulp of air "Phew, a breather finally! Its nice to smell some fresh ass air man"

Bob collapsed.

"Bob! Bob!" Mark pushed Bob against the wall so he could lean and rest, Jim, Cindy, and Kevin stared, they knew Bob was not well, he seemed....

Bob lend out a deep groan, as Mark held him by the shoulders.
"Bob! We are almost there, we are almost out, Bob, we got-"

Bob shook his head.

"I... I c-can't move anymore! I... I know me... and I am not... I am not gonna be someone else's burden!"

Bob took his own gun out and was about to raise it, but Mark held his hand and pushed it down to the floor

"Bob, stop!"

Mark leaned forward

"No... you don't understand Mark.... Im... no...d-different from them... I... I feel the hunger.... S-so please..."

Bob yanked his hand away from Mark, and Mark did not try to stop him this time.

"Please let me die while my conscious remains..."

Bob raised his gun up to his own head, and pulled the trigger. The shot was louder than the noise of the crowd down below. Bob fell to one side, his body hitting the floor lifelessly.... Mark leaned over Bob....

"Oh.. Bob.... BOBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!"

-->

Cindy walked over next to Mark, and kneel'd down. She unbuttoned her green and light blue waitress dress shirt and took it off, she remained in her shirt and a white t-shirt. Mark silently weeped over Bob's Cadaver, Cindy closed Bob's lifeless eyes that seemed to stare at her, then covered his face up with the shirt.

Cindy and Mark stood up, Mark slowly backed away from Bob... "Where too now, Cindy? We are here.... now... how to get down to the streets?" Marl sucked up the tears while he spoke to Cindy.... again, banging on the door they came through. It would be hard for them to knock it down, impossible quite frankly, but they could not just stay at the rooftop and wait for help.

A loud voice spoke, it seemed to come from the skies, but it came from down below....

-----------Meanwhile at the street in front of J's Bar-----------

A police officer dressed in blue spoke through the police car microphone, alerting people who where nearby.

"Attention everyone, due to the rights of progress, this area will be closed off soon, please proceed to this checkpoint immediately. If you do not leave the area in time.... we can not guarantee your safety."

Two other police officers shot and endless number of insane people, there seemed to be less and less in the area, but they knew more would probably come through other areas of the city....

--->

"How do we get down?" Kevin put the gun in his holster.

Cindy pointed to the accessway "There, through that catwalk, there is a gap between this building and the next, in between the gap are fire escape stairs, we can go down through there"

The four ran to the catwalk, Kevin kicked the fence Charlie had added, knocking it down.

"Watch out!" Jim pointed at two crows who flew over head... they.... they where charging at them! Mark fired two shots, hitting the crows dead on, they fell. Strange. Dark clumps of blood oozed from the crows, unusual looking blood.

They climbed down the stairs, all of them felt anxious and relieved at the same time, they where glad to be out of the enclosed bar. They emerged from the ally, Jim looked away, as he came down, he saw the guy who tried to pull him out of the window, his neck was twisted at a odd angle. Along the street where three police units, as well as seven or eight police officer bodies, with a few citizen bodies as well. It was hard to tell which people where killed because they had gone nuts and which people where killed BY the nuts.

The police officer who had spoken fired rounds and three other citizens ran past him, and from the corner of his eye, he recognized a familiar face, Kevin's.

"Oh, you startled me, im surprised you're still alive, the whole city is in war zone... we need all the help we can get, now quickly, go into that vehicle over there"

He pointed at a green armored pick up van where the other citizens had ran into. They hurried over and got in, two men, who seemed to come separately, a woman and a child she held close to her, a little girl, sit in the van. Not only that, but the van had a small cabinet. Kevin knew EXACTLY what could be in there.

The police officer ran and hopped on to the drivers seat, and started up the pick up, then drove away. As the vehicle moved, Jim looked back, in the distance he could see hundredths of crazy people running and walking... as the passed other buildings, he saw more and more, and saw less and less "normal" people... the "others" walked and staggered slowly, other's ran rabidly. Rotten flesh and pieces of skin, dirt, blood, its what the strange behaving people where composed of, it reminded him of a zombie movie....

"The highway is way too dangerous, we're taking side streets"

The police man said as he kept on driving, they passed several streets and buildings, buildings that where on fire, in chaos, streets full of death and destruction....

The van braked abruptly... they had reached a bigger area of the city now.... the other survivors in the van stared, they could not believe this, it WAS a war zone... now, literally millions and millions and millions of these strange people wandered the streets, they could not be defeated, not by shooting, not by hitting..... helicopters flew all over the skies, news anchor vehicles both on the road and on the air where capturing the scene.... no... these things had to be stopped some other way....

BOOM! a explosions where head in the distance, even then they made the whole city shake.

"Armored vehicles are driving out of the city, but oh boy, it wont be easy.... it will take a while to get out of here.... everyone will have to fight a way out, nowhere is safe, nowhere"

The officer spoke to the survivors in the van.

Explosions where nuking numbers of hordes of these people, but they seemed to keep coming from everywhere... people.. people who once where normal, also turned into nut jobs.... what was going on? This was the question that probably ran through every sane persons head. Where they... zombies... the living dead? The idea seemed spooky, eerie, and horrifying, but it was an idea that seemed all too a real, an idea no one wanted to write in stone. They drove along, drove, drove, and kept on driving.

"This was just a horrible situation from the start. But the battlefield is always there to deal with, and you must always fight to win. That was all I could think of at that time"

These where words that ran through Mark's head as the police radio station in the van transmitted the news spoken by a woman's voice.

"Yesterday, just before dawn, the pentagon confirmed that toxic waste has been spilled over Raccoon city. In the accordance with U.S safety regulations, the city has been placed under quarantine, and the army has been sent in to investigate and...."

A hesitant pause over the reporters voice.

"... control the situati- ------ shhfhahj -----------

Static through the radio, the signal had been cut off as the Van halted again, everyone was ready to fight, citizens, police officers, fire fighters, and a few army tanks fought scattered through the city, fighting off these... monsters... Kevin hopped off the Van, and had a solid serious look like everyone else, a deep concerned look.... they knew they would need to fight to survive... a that fight was not to be over soon.