Sequel: Come What May

Poison and Wine

DEFCON 1

Two agonizing weeks went by as everyone prepared for the next full moon coming up the following week and how they would go about… eliminating… Jackson. The question about what to do about Lydia came up frequently but everyone avoided it because they didn’t know what they wanted to do. Allison had hopes of becoming friends with Lydia again and “converting” her, in a way, to the hunting lifestyle but she knew it wasn’t highly possible.

As the following week approached there was a lot more tension in the Miner household. Jason kept his gun on him at all times. Alyssa did the same with the wolfsbane serum Deaton had concocted. The deputies were all on red alert, even Carl.

Hailey woke up the Saturday before the full moon next to Derek. He had been staying at her house a lot more because everyone felt safer having him there. She yawned and stretched her arms out before turning on her side and looking up at Derek. He was still asleep and she watched as he breathed in and out. It was when he was asleep that he looked completely at peace and Hailey always tried to let him stay that way for as long as possible.

Almost as if he could sense her looking at him, Derek’s eyes fluttered open and he took a deep breath. He groaned as he rolled his neck, stretching the muscles before turning to look at Hailey. She smiled at him and he wrapped his arm around her, kissing the top of her head.

“Can we just stay like this forever?” she mumbled into his shirt. She felt the rumble in his chest as he laughed and looked up at him.

“If only it could be that easy,” he said and she sighed.

“Yeah. If only.”

“We’re running late,” Derek said, nudging her when he noticed the time on the clock.

“You mean we actually slept in?” she asked with wide eyes, sitting up to look at the clock. “That’s the first time in a long time that’s happened.”

“You needed it,” he said, throwing the blanket off and moving to stand up.

“So did you,” she said and he shrugged his shoulders.

“I’d much rather be out there hunting for Jackson twenty-four seven instead of playing a waiting game,” he said and Hailey rolled her eyes.

“Yeah not gonna happen. We’re almost there,” she said and he nodded.

“I know. We really need to get a solid plan laid out,” he said and Hailey bit her lip.

“But it’s not like he’s going to show up ready to fight. This isn’t a western showdown,” she said and Derek laughed.

“No but we can have backup plans too,” he said and Hailey shrugged.

“I suppose,” she said with a sigh, climbing out of bed and stumbling over to her dresser.

****

“What’s with the security detail?” Jason asked as they all climbed out of the car at the elementary school. Aaron hesitated and looked up at his parents as they all observed the small group of deputies near the entrance to the field.

“Do you know anything about this?” Hailey asked Derek as they all walked forward.

“No idea,” he said, his eyebrows furrowing together.

“Go ahead honey,” Alyssa said, putting her hands on Aaron’s shoulders and nudging him forward to join his teammates.

“There you are.”

“Carl,” Derek said, nodding at him and the other two deputies. “What’s this about?”

“Sheriff wanted us here… just in case,” Carl said, patting the gun in his holster. “The full moon is in a few days and it’s possible he’d want to join us a little earlier than expected.”

“And what are you telling everyone else who asks?” Jason asked, crossing his arms.

“That there have been some coyote attacks and it’s all precautionary,” Carl said and Derek nodded.

“If you see or hear anything but can’t find me just… speak at a normal level and I’ll be able to hear you,” Derek said and Carl nodded his head.

“Right the… super hearing,” Carl said, pointing to his ear and Derek rolled his eyes.

“Yeah. See ya,” Derek said, putting his hand on Hailey’s back and walking with her and her parents to a spot to watch the game.

“Do you think anything’s going to happen?” Hailey asked with a lowered voice as she looked over her shoulder back at Carl and the others as they went off in different directions.

“It’s possible and I wouldn’t put it past Jackson.”

“But we’re at a children’s soccer game,” Alyssa said in disbelief as she set her chair down.

“Where all four of us happen to be so he knows Derek will be here too,” Hailey said and Alyssa nodded.

“Let’s just hope it’s a normal Saturday,” Jason said, looking each of the three directly in the eyes before walking over to the sidelines to join some of the other dads.

“When’s the last time I had a normal Saturday,” Hailey grumbled as she sat down next to Derek.

“Hopefully this time next week you will have one,” he said and Hailey smiled at the thought.

“Well, as normal as you can get with you as a boyfriend,” she said and Alyssa laughed.

“I have a question,” Alyssa said causing Derek to lean forward in order to see her past Hailey. He nodded his head for her to go on as the game started. “When it comes to the day of the full moon, what do we do? It’s on Thursday, correct?”

“Yes,” Derek said with a nod. “I think it’s best if you all stay home. You and Jason should inform your works that you’re taking both Thursday and Friday off of work for a long weekend vacation. Call the schools and tell them Hailey and Aaron are sick.”

“Why both days?” Alyssa asked and Hailey bit her lip.

“In case anything bad happens,” she said softly and Alyssa inhaled sharply and nodded her head in understanding.

“But during the day? Do we just sit at home and wait for news?” she asked.

“You’ll be safest there,” Derek said. “God forbid anything happens you’ll have your serum and Jason has his gun. Maybe we can even get a deputy to be there with you.”

“You won’t be there?” Alyssa asked.

“Unfortunately,” Hailey grumbled, crossing her arms and slouching in her seat.

“I have to be out there where Jackson is. And I can’t be with you. I’m too vulnerable when I’m with you because my attention gets thrown.”

“I know, I know,” she said with a sigh, rolling her head towards him.

“This will all be over soon,” Derek said.

“Hopefully,” Hailey muttered and Derek rolled his eyes.

The next half an hour was normal as normal could be on game day. Hailey turned to Derek when she noticed he got a little fidgety. He was leaning forward in his seat and cracking his knuckles repeatedly, his head turned to the side.

“What’s wrong?” she asked sitting up.

“Carl’s talking to me. They saw something moving in the bushes and are going to check it out. It might be Jackson,” he whispered and Hailey tensed up next to him.

“Oh God,” she said, her heart starting to race.

“Calm down,” he said, putting his hand on top of hers. “We don’t know for sure yet.”

“What if it is?” she asked and Derek held a hand up to quiet her as he turned his head towards the woods. He squeezed her hand gently before standing up and turning to her.

“Stay here,” he said, a warning tone in his voice and Hailey’s eyes widened as she nodded her head.

“Hailey?” Alyssa asked.

“It’s okay Mom. Derek’s just going to check something out,” she said, trying to calm herself down as well as her mother. She turned to watch as Derek walked quickly over to the woods without causing suspicion.

“Where’s he going?” Jason asked, walking over to sit down for a bit.

“Just checking something out,” Hailey said, her eyes following Derek.

“Anything we should worry about?”

“No… not yet anyway,” she said. She waited until Derek was out of sight in the woods before turning back to the game. Every few seconds her eyes would wander over to the woods looking for a glimpse of Derek or one of the deputies.

Suddenly, there was a loud scream and then a gunshot that startled everyone. A few people screamed, the game stopped, and Hailey was out of her seat and running to the woods. Her heart was pounding in her chest and her breath caught in her throat as she scanned the area for Derek. She kept running before being stopped by a blunt force.

“Hailey, Hailey, I’m okay. It’s me,” Derek’s deep voice said quickly in her ear, his arms wrapped tight around her.

“Derek,” she sighed, catching her breath and looking up at him. “What happened?”

“It was a coyote,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“No what really happened?” she asked, lowering her voice.

“It really was just a coyote,” he said, looking into her eyes and nodding his head. She furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at him.

“What?”

“The one deputy there, Shanna, she saw something moving in the woods so she and Trevor went to check it out while Carl talked to me for a bit,” he explained. “I went out there ahead of them and I could smell it, I just couldn’t find it, it was moving too fast.”

“So what was with the scream?”

“I might not have found it, but Shanna did,” he said and Hailey’s mouth formed an o shape as she looked over to Shanna who was calming a few people down. “It was ready to attack her when I knocked it out of the way and Carl shot it.”

“Do you find it to be a coincidence that Carl says they’re just going to tell people that if anything goes down it’s a coyote attack and then forty minutes later, there’s really a coyote attack?” she asked, letting go of Derek as they walked over to her parents.

“Carl said something about a coyote?” Alyssa said when they were close enough, putting one hand on Derek’s arm, the other on her chest.

“Was it really?” Jason asked as Derek nodded his head.

“It really, truly, was a coyote,” he said and Jason shook his head.

“What are the chances?” Jason asked.

“Next to none,” Hailey said.

“Do you think he’s watching?” Alyssa asked, looking around, her eyes wide.

“Most likely,” Derek muttered, scanning the parking lot.

“Where the hell would he get a coyote from?” Jason asked, crossing his arms.

“I don’t want to know,” Hailey said and Derek laughed.

“Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen,” Carl said loudly. He was standing in the middle of the field and everyone quieted down and gathered closer to the field. “I’m sure you’ve all heard by now that the reason for the gunshot was a coyote in the woods. Because we don’t know if there are any more out there we’re going to have to postpone this game. I talked to the officials and the coaches and they agree that when it is re-scheduled both teams will start with a clean slate. I suggest you all get your group’s together and go home. Stay away from heavily wooded areas.”

“Well I guess we’re going home early,” Alyssa said as Aaron ran over to them.

“Was there really a coyote?” he asked, eyes wide.

“Yupp,” Hailey said, wrapping her arm around his shoulders as they all walked over to the car.

“Weird,” he said, shaking his head.

“Tell me about it,” Hailey said, looking over her shoulder to Derek who was scanning the parking lot with his eyes, ears, and nose. He shook his head, a confused expression on his face.

****

“Hey Danny,” Hailey said, opening her door for him to come into the house. “Thanks for coming.”

“No problem,” he said, shrugging his coat off. “You sounded urgent on the phone.”

“Uh yeah, the others are up in my room,” she said, nodding towards the stairs. Danny cocked his head to the side and followed her upstairs.

“Hey guys,” he said, looking around to see Derek, Scott, Stiles, and Allison scattered around Hailey’s room.

“Danny,” Derek said, nodding to him. Hailey went over to sit between Derek and Stiles on the bed and Danny sat in Hailey’s desk chair.

“So, what’s up?” Danny asked, looking at everyone.

“Did you hear about the coyote sighting earlier?” Scott asked from where he and Allison sat at the window seat.

“Yeah, kind of odd,” he said. “I assumed it’s just another cover up though.”

“It’s not, actually,” Stiles said and Danny raised an eyebrow.

“Derek, my parents, and I were at my little brother’s soccer game and three of the deputies were there, just in case. About halfway through the game Derek heard from one of them and went to check it out and then there was a gunshot. There was really a coyote there,” Hailey said and Danny let out a low whistle.

“Coincidence?” he asked and Derek shook his head.

“We don’t think so,” he said.

“So what does it mean? Like, where do we go from here?”

“Well, the full moon’s on Thursday night,” Stiles said. “So until then we are now on DEFCON 1.”

“Stiles not this again,” Derek said, rolling his eyes.

“What? We’re at maximum readiness! This is it, people. Nuclear war is coming,” Stiles said and the other five just stared at him.

“Nuclear war? Really, Stiles?” Allison asked and he opened his mouth wide.

“Okay fine, maybe not nuclear war but... supernatural, lycanthropic, balls to the wall, war,” he said and Hailey and Scott both laughed. Allison shook her head and Derek and Danny just stared at Stiles, disbelief on their faces.

“Okay fine, we’re at… maximum readiness. Can we talk about the plan please?” Derek asked.

“Sorry,” Hailey said, letting out one last laugh before putting her hand on Derek’s knee. Scott calmed down as well and cleared his throat before looking serious.

“Danny, Allison, and Stiles you all need a way to have some form of weaponry at school for the whole week,” Derek said. “Obviously you can’t have guns.”

“More serum?” Hailey suggested, shrugging her shoulders.

“I can’t think of any other way,” Derek said, agreeing with her.

“What about Hailey?” Danny asked.

“Yeah?” Hailey asked, nudging Derek’s side.

“She won’t need anything with you three plus Scott around,” Derek said, shaking his head.

“Derek I can’t be the helpless damsel in distress all the time,” she sighed.

“First of all, yes you can. Second, you still have a broken arm so you’re partially handicapped, literally. And third, I’m not comfortable with you being thrown into it,” he said and she huffed.

“So even on Thursday you’ll let my mother have serum and my father have wolfsbane bullets but I get nothing?” she asked.

“Yes,” he said gruffly and Hailey pursed her lips together.

“Derek she should have something,” Allison said softly and Derek’s eyes glowed red. “Oh stop that!”

“Allison,” Scott said warningly.

“Scott how do you think I’d feel if you told me I couldn’t have my arrows on me, or a gun?”

“Your family has literally done this for their whole lives! It’s in your blood, you know what you’re doing,” Scott retaliated. “Hailey’s known about this for less than two months and her family is in grave danger. You can’t expect to hand her a gun and ensure she’s going to get a clear first shot. I understand where you’re coming from but I’m on Derek’s side with this.”

“So am I,” Stiles said and Hailey turned to him, sadness in her eyes. “I’m sorry Hails. But God forbid anything were to happen to you, I’d rather it be in our hands and not yours. If that makes sense.”

“It does and I get it but… this is my family,” she said, bringing her hands to her chest and looking pleadingly into Stiles’ eyes. He lowered his eyelids and shook his head.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, shrugging his shoulders.

“So,” she said, sitting up straighter. “It’s three to two. Danny? What do you think?”

“Uh… I… I can see the point that both sides are making and I kind of agree with both but… I don’t know Hailey. I don’t really think it’s necessary,” he said, wincing when Hailey narrowed her eyes.

“So we’re at a stalemate,” Allison said. All heads turned when they heard a knock on the door.

“Come in,” Hailey said, her voice bitter. Alyssa opened the door and stepped in smiling at everyone.

“Hey kids, we’re going to order some pizza, would you all like to stay?” she asked.

“Are you sure?” Scott asked.

“Of course. You’re all risking your lives for us in the next few days, the least we can do right now is feed you,” she said with a laugh causing the others to smile.

“Thank you Mrs. Miner,” Allison said.

“Of course honey, is there anything special we should get?”

“Meat lovers!” Stiles exclaimed causing the others to burst out laughing.

“Okay,” Alyssa said with a laugh. “Anything else or is cheese and pepperoni good for the rest?”

“That’s fine,” Danny said and the others nodded.

“Hailey?” Alyssa said, noticing how quiet her daughter was being. “Are you alright?”

“She’s mad at us,” Stiles said, pointing at himself, Derek, Scott, and Danny.

“I’m not mad,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“Yes you are,” Derek and Scott said at the same time and she crossed her arms.

“May I ask why?” Alyssa asked, looking at Hailey and Derek.

“They won’t let me have anything to defend myself with,” she said, glaring at Derek before looking at her mother.

“Plenty of people around you will have something. Besides you only have the use of one arm so it can’t do you much good,” Alyssa said, shrugging her shoulders.

“Whatever. Fine. I’ll just be defenseless. Again,” she sighed and Alyssa frowned.

“Hailey stop it right now. Everyone in this room is going to be protecting you.”

“But who’s going to protect you, Mom? Or Aaron? Or Dad? What if something happens to you guys and I’m the only that can do anything to stop it?” she asked, standing up and jabbing her chest with her finger.

“You just have to trust that it won’t,” Derek said from the bed.

“I can’t,” she said, her voice breaking and tears starting to fall. She collapsed back onto the bed and leaned into Derek’s side as he wrapped his arm around her.

“Listen to me,” he said, pulling away from her, forcing her to look up at him. “I will not let anything happen to you. Your parents will be here, I’ll get two deputies to be here,”

“I’ll be here,” Danny said, causing everyone to look at him. He shrugged his shoulders and looked down at his hands. “I don’t have as much experience in this as you all do. I wouldn’t feel comfortable being out there… besides… I know I said I’d kill Jackson if it came down to it but I don’t know if I can willingly go out and face him. I’d rather stay back here and help.”

“Thank you,” Derek said, nodding his head at Danny before looking back Hailey. “Okay?”

Hailey looked back at Danny who had his eyes steady on her. She cocked her head to the side and he nodded, a look of determination on his face. She looked around the room at the rest of her friends and her mother before looking back at Derek and nodding.

“Okay,” she whispered. Derek sighed and pulled her back into him as she wrapped her arms around his torso.

“What’s taking so long?” Jason asked, walking into the room, Aaron following behind. “Everything okay in here?”

“Everything’s fine, honey,” Alyssa said, putting her hand on his chest and leading him to the hallway. “Let’s go order those pizzas. I think these guys are getting hungry.”

“You okay Hails?” Aaron asked once their parents were downstairs.

“I’m fine I’m just… scared,” she said, shrugging her shoulders. Stiles moved over on the bed so Aaron could sit between him and Hailey.

“Me too,” he admitted and she wrapped her arms around him.

“I think we all are,” Scott said and Aaron looked up at him. Allison nodded her head next to Scott and Aaron looked over at Derek.

“You too?” he asked and Derek nodded his head.

“Yeah,” he said, reaching behind Hailey and grabbing onto Aaron’s shoulder. “Me too.”

****

“Did you mean it?” Hailey asked as she climbed into bed and Derek pulled the blanket over them.

“Mean what?” he asked, his eyebrows furrowing together.

“Earlier when you told Aaron that you are scared too. Did you mean it?”

“Yes,” he said and Hailey’s eyes softened as she placed her head on his chest.

“I feel like this is literally a living hell,” she muttered and he reached over and shut the light off.

“It will be over soon.”

“Thank God,” she said. Derek moved his body down so he was facing her and put his hand on her cheek. She moved her hand to his chest and leaned up to kiss him.

“I won’t let anything happen to you,” he whispered and she nodded her head, resting it against his shoulder and letting her eyes close.

“I know,” she whispered back before falling asleep to the sound of his breathing.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for this taking so long. In case you can't tell it's a bit filler-ish. I just couldn't think of what to do but I finally got some inspiration. So if it isn't obvious, the next chapter will be the finale! But like I said, I have a sequel planned so don't worry!

What did you think of this chapter? I'd just like to say I've always wanted to use the "balls to the wall" expression and I'm SO glad I finally got to do it! With Stiles none the less!

Thanks so much!
~Steph <3