Sequel: Come What May

Poison and Wine

The History Project

Saturday morning Hailey woke up and was hit with the events of the previous night. With a smile on her face she rolled over in bed and faced her window. Sure, Jackson Whittemore had basically threatened her, her friends and… boyfriend… had almost died… but she was with Derek. They were officially together… forever. And that thought scared the living hell out of her because there was so much that could go wrong.

The rev of an engine outside caused all of those thoughts to go away as she jumped out of bed and ran to the window. Derek was sitting outside in his car and Hailey regretted the fact that he couldn’t actually come inside. Her phone rang and she turned to grab it. Derek’s name flashed on the screen and she slid across it to unlock.

“Good morning,” she said, walking back over to the window and sitting on the seat, looking out to the car. He rolled his window down and looked up at her.

Hi,” he said, waving his hand slightly.

“What are you doing here so early?” she asked, amusement in her voice.

Um… about that…

“What’s wrong?” she asked, her eyes widening in panic.

No, no. Nothing’s wrong,” he said and she let out a sigh of relief. “It’s just I never left.

“You mean to tell me you sat out there all night?”

Yes,” he said and she thought he sounded almost embarrassed. For a guy who apparently never let his emotions show he couldn’t seem to hold them back when it came to Hailey.

“Why?” she asked, tilting her head to the side and she heard Derek let out a huff.

When Peter explained that you were my mate, he said there would be a magnetic pull. And I did feel it at first but last night, after it became real, the pull became so much stronger,” he explained and Hailey bit her lip, a smile forming on her face. “So I sat out here all night one because of Jackson’s threat and two because I just couldn’t leave.

“That is possibly the sweetest and creepiest thing I’ve ever heard all rolled into one,” she said with a laugh. “But definitely more sweet than creepy.”

Sure,” Derek said. Hailey sat back to lean against the wall and she and Derek stayed silent just looking at each other.

“I wish you could come inside,” she said quietly.

I know.

“Do you think Deaton can teach me how to part the ash like he did with Stiles?” Hailey asked, excitement creeping up.

Possibly,” Derek said with some hesitation.

“But?”

But I don’t think it’s a good idea.

“Why not?”

I just…

“Just because it keeps werewolves out doesn’t mean it can keep other dangers away. Lydia! She could always break in or something and what if Jackson had her do something to Aaron or me? Or this Gerard guy I keep hearing about? I don’t even know what his deal is but I’m assuming he’s human,” Hailey argued trying to sway Derek’s thoughts.

I’ve never actually thought of any of that before,” Derek said and Hailey knew she had it.

“That’s why I’m the brains and you’re the brawn.”

Low blow, Miner,” he said and she laughed. She grew silent when she heard footsteps out in the hallway but whoever it was kept walking.

“When are you going to tell me about this Gerard ordeal anyway?” she asked and he sighed.

Soon.

“It better be,” she said, turning when she heard a knock on her door. “I’ve got to go.”

I’ll meet you at the game,” he said. Hailey nodded her head towards him out the window and they hung up. She got up and went over to her door, opening it to see her mother.

“Morning Mom,” she said, a smile on her face.

“Who were you talking to?” Alyssa asked, cocking her head to the side.

“Just… a friend,” Hailey said, walking over to her closet to look for a shirt to wear to the game.

“Alright, I get it,” she said, holding her hands up and laughing. “I just wanted to let you know breakfast is ready.”

“Okay, thanks,” Hailey said, smiling as her mother closed the door on her way out.

Hailey grabbed a few shirts from her closet before walking over to her bed and collapsing on it. She had to think of a way to explain her and Derek to her parents. Her mother, she figured, would be fine with it. It was her Dad she was worried about.

****

Once they arrived at the school for Aaron’s game, Hailey climbed out of the car and instantly looked around for Derek. She bit her lip, her nerves setting in. The whole car ride she had tried to come up with a way to tell her parents about how she was now dating Derek but unfortunately, nothing came to mind. Aaron ran ahead to join his teammates as Hailey and her parents walked to the sideline. Hailey smiled when she saw Derek waiting under one of the tented areas.

“What is he doing here?” her father asked with a sigh and Hailey’s heart skipped a beat. Derek looked up when he heard it and lifted his hand in a wave.

“Jason,” Alyssa hissed, nudging his side with her elbow. “Be nice.”

“I just don’t understand why he has to be here,” he said, once they were close enough to make sure Derek heard him. Hailey sighed and looked at Derek who gave a slight nod of his head.

“He’s here because I invited him, Dad,” she said, causing her parents to stop. She turned to face them and Derek walked up behind her.

“Why?” Jason asked, squinting his eyes at Derek.

“Because,” Hailey said, stuffing her hands in her pockets and shrugging her shoulders. “Derek and I are kind of… together…”

“Together?” Alyssa asked, the ghost of a smile on her lips.

“Yeah we’re… dating,” she said, looking up at her father. Jason squared his jaw, hoisted his chair under his arm, and continued to walk towards the field without saying a word.

“I’ll talk to him,” Alyssa said, stepping forward and putting a hand on Hailey’s shoulder. “Why don’t you two find a different spot to sit and I’ll come get you when things are smoothed over. Okay?”

“Okay,” Hailey said, nodding her head. She looked towards the field to see her father standing along the sideline with his arms crossed. “Thanks Mom.”

“He’s not mad,” Derek said once Hailey’s mother was out of earshot.

“Did his heartbeat tell you that?” Hailey asked, turning to look at him a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

“Yes,” Derek said, nodding his head.

“I was kidding,” she said, starting to walk to a spot further down the field for her and Derek to sit.

“Well I wasn’t. I’m telling you, he’s not mad.”

“Then what is he?” she asked, looking over her shoulder to her parents. Her mother had her hand on her father’s arm and was speaking to him rapidly.

“I can’t tell if he’s upset or scared,” Derek said, unfolding his chair and setting it down. “But he’s definitely not mad.”

“Why would he be scared?” Hailey asked, setting her chair next to Derek’s and sitting in it.

“Because I’m the older delinquent,” Derek said, raising his eyebrows and Hailey laughed. “And you’re his only daughter.”

“You’re not that much older. He’s such a hypocrite, he’s ten years older than my Mom,” she said, crossing her arms and leaning back in her chair. She rolled her head to the side to look up at Derek. “Can you hear them from here?”

“I think so,” he said, furrowing his eyebrows. “I need to focus in on them though so be quiet for a minute.”

“Okay,” she said, nodding her head. She watched as Derek closed his eyes and turned his head slightly so his ear was towards her parents. It was agonizing, waiting for him to turn back to her. When he finally did she sat up in her chair and leaned towards him.

“Well, your Mom calmed him down. But he said he wants to take a majority of the first half, if not the whole first half, to process it,” he said.

“It’s better than nothing,” she said with a sigh. She crossed her legs and sat back comfortably as the game started. It was silent for a few moments as they watched the game. Hailey looked up when she saw Derek turn to her out of the corner of her eye.

“Hailey,” he said and she tilted her head, confusion written on her face.

“What’s up?” she asked. He looked down and swallowed before looking back up at her.

“The full moon is coming up in a few days,” he said and she nodded her head. “It’s Wednesday night.”

“Okay,” she said slowly. Derek’s nostrils flared and he looked away for a moment.

“You and your family need to stay inside on that night. Especially you.”

“What if my Mom has to work at the hospital that night? Am I supposed to tell her to take a sick day? Especially with Jackson trying to go after Scott’s Mom and Stiles’ Dad last night… what if he’s after my parents now too because of us?”

“She works with Scott’s Mom, right?” he asked and Hailey nodded her head.

“The same shift.”

“Mrs. McCall is extra cautious on the night of the full moon ever since she found out. Your mother will be fine,” he said, reassuring her.

“Where will you be that night?”

“I will be with Scott keeping him chained up and under control. He’s stubborn and still hasn’t grasped a way to keep him fully grounded,” he said, his nostrils flaring.

“But you’ll be under control?” she asked and he nodded his head.

“I know how to keep myself anchored.”

“Oh right, with anger,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“No,” he said and she looked up at him. “You’re my anchor now.”

“I told Stiles,” she said, a smug smile on her face. Derek raised an eyebrow and she shook her head. “What about Isaac and Peter?”

“They’ll be at the house. The main reason you need to stay inside is because of Jackson. He’ll be most dangerous that night. Surprisingly we’ve never heard of any deaths the next day but that doesn’t mean he might not be loose,” Derek said, a pained expression in his eyes. Hailey frowned and reached out, taking his hand in hers and linking their fingers.

“You’ll call me first thing Thursday?” she asked, her voice slightly shaking. He squeezed her hand gently and nodded his head.

“First thing,” he said. Hailey gave him a half smile before leaning back in her chair, her hand still in his. They watched the game in silence for a few minutes and both looked up when they heard footsteps.

“Hi Mom,” Hailey said, smiling at her mother. Alyssa’s eyes went to their linked hands and she smiled.

“I talked to your father and he’s calmed down considerably. So if you two would like to join us…”

“Yeah,” Hailey said, looking to Derek who nodded his head. They stood up and grabbed their chairs, following Alyssa to where Jason stood. He turned when he heard them and gave a half wave.

“Aaron was looking for you before,” Alyssa said as she sat down. Hailey looked towards the goal and caught Aaron’s eye while the teams were at the other end of the field. His eyes lit up when he spotted Derek. He smiled and waved before turning his attention back to the game.

“At least he looks happy to see me,” Derek said with a slight laugh.

“Excuse you?” Hailey asked, raising her eyebrows.

“You know what I mean,” he said as he rolled his eyes.

“So, Derek,” Alyssa said, causing both of their heads to turn to her. “Would you like to join us out for lunch after the game? If Aaron’s team wins that is.”

“Uh,” Derek said, looking over to Jason who kept his back to them. “I think we should see how the rest of the game goes.”

“Good idea,” Alyssa said, winking at him before turning back to the game.

“Thanks Mom,” Hailey whispered to her mother. She leaned over and kissed her cheek.

“You deserve to be happy, especially after last year and what Brett did to you,” Alyssa said softly. Hailey flinched at the mention of her ex-boyfriend and sat back in her chair.

“Who’s Brett?” Derek whispered, his eyebrows scrunching together in curiosity.

“My ex,” Hailey said, disdain in her voice.

“What did he do to you?”

“I’d rather not talk about it. Not right now,” she said, pursing her lips and crossing her arms.

“Okay,” Derek said softly.

He turned to the game but every few seconds would glance at Hailey. At one point he saw a tear roll down her cheek. Without thinking he reached his hand up to place it on her cheek, wiping her tear away with his thumb. Hailey raised an eyebrow at the gesture. She figured it would take time for Derek to get so… personal. But maybe the fact that they were mates strengthened that connection for him.

She wanted her Dad to turn around at that moment. To see that Derek did care about her and this wasn’t just for shits and giggles. But he didn’t. Somehow, she needed to show him that Derek wasn’t going to harm her because this wasn’t a relationship she was going to be getting out of and she didn’t want her Dad to hate Derek the whole time. All she knew was that it was going to take time.

****

After another successful win by Aaron’s team on Saturday, Derek had joined the Miner’s for lunch. It was the most awkward meal that Derek and Hailey had ever been to because of how Jason acted. However, they managed to get through it. On Sunday, Derek spent the day with the other wolves trying to figure out a way to stop Jackson while Hailey did homework. Cue Monday and time for school yet again.

Hailey walked into Physics and was surprised to see Stiles sitting in Allison’s seat at their table. Behind him sat Scott and Allison. Allison looked away when Hailey was close enough. She sat next to Stiles and pulled out her books, her eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

“Stiles,” she whispered. He pulled his chair closer to her so they could talk privately. “I love you and all but why are you and Allison switched?”

“Allison’s not too happy about you dating Derek,” he said, looking at her sympathetically. “She asked Mr. Bower if she could switch partners with me as soon as she walked in the room and he okayed it. You don’t mind do you?”

“I mean, a little,” Hailey said, shrugging her shoulders. “I don’t mind working with you now since we do all the rest of our homework together anyway but… I’m upset that Allison felt that she couldn’t come to me.”

“Yeah,” Stiles said with a sigh. “I wouldn’t expect to be talking to her much for awhile if I were you. Looks like it’s gonna be you and me at lunch from now on.”

“I guess so,” Hailey whispered, her heart sinking. She never meant to hurt Allison but she couldn’t help what was happening between her and Derek. Derek didn’t mean to bite Mrs. Argent. It just happened.

Hailey sulked throughout the rest of the morning in her classes. At lunch, she and Stiles sat at one of the empty tables near the vending machines. Her phone buzzed on the table from a text form Derek.

Why aren’t you sitting with Scott and Allison? He asked. Hailey looked towards the windows and saw him sitting at one of the picnic tables in the quad looking into the cafeteria.

Allison’s mad at me she sent back. She looked to see Derek’s reaction. He looked at his phone and frowned.

Because of me he said. She turned towards the windows again and nodded her head. Derek shook his head and looked back at his phone. I’m sorry.

It’s not your fault she said. Just then the bell rang and Hailey stood up, slinging her bag over her shoulder. She turned to Derek and waved to him through the window. He waved back and she turned to follow Stiles out the door to their history class. Hailey entered the classroom and saw the word project written on the board in big letters.

“Oh boy,” Stiles said sarcastically as they took seats next to each other.

“Keep your fingers crossed for solo projects,” Hailey said as the second bell rang. Their attention turned to their teacher, Mr. Parker.

“As you can see, you’re about to be signed a project,” he said, gesturing over his shoulder to the board. “You and a partner, that I have assigned, will have to create a visual interpretation of an event from World War II, which I have also assigned. It can be a poster, a power point, even a scale model, the more creativity the better. You will also need to prepare an oral report to go along with your visual aspect that needs to be at least 10 minutes in length. Any questions?”

“Worst outcome ever,” Stiles whispered to Hailey who stifled a laugh.

“Okay. Once I put you in your pairs I want you to get together and start drafting what you will want to do,” Mr. Parker said and Hailey bit her lip, hoping to be partnered with Stiles. He started going down her row and she paid more attention as he got close to her. “Danny and Stiles. Hailey and Jackson.”

“What?” Stiles whispered under his breath to Hailey. Hailey looked to her right and saw Jackson looking at her, a grin on his face.

“Now this… is the worst outcome ever,” she whispered, her voice shaking, her eyes not leaving Jackson’s.

****

After school Hailey headed over to her car, Stiles at her side. Jackson was trailing behind them but Hailey needed to talk to Derek first. She looked up to see him leaning against her car, anger on his face.

“No,” he said, once she and Stiles were close enough. “Absolutely not.”

“Derek I can’t help it, we were assigned,” she said exasperated.

“Can’t you talk to your teacher and switch with Danny?”

“I tried that,” Stiles said. “He knows Hailey and I are best friends and that Danny and Jackson are so he’d rather we work with other people.”

“This isn’t good,” Derek hissed through his teeth.

“You think I don’t know that?” Hailey asked. “The sooner Jackson and I start on our project, the sooner we’ll be done.”

“Well said, Miner,” Jackson said, coming up behind and standing next to her. Derek growled and his eyes glowed red. “Careful, Hale. Your wolf is showing.”

“Shut up,” Hailey said, rolling her eyes. “Let’s just go to your house and get as much of this done as possible.”

“I’d much rather go to your house,” Jackson said, a grin on his face.

“You’re out of your mind if you think that’s ever going to happen,” Hailey said angrily.

“Fine then. I’ll lead the way,” Jackson said, sauntering over to his car.

“I don’t like this, Hailey,” Derek said, blocking her car door.

“Neither do I but this is how it has to be,” she said with a sigh. “It’s not like you aren’t going to be sitting outside anyway listening in.”

“True,” he said. “I’ll see if I can get Isaac and Peter to help me too.”

“Okay. We’ll only be two hours, tops,” Hailey said. Derek nodded his head and stepped aside so Hailey could get in. Hailey climbed in and took a deep breath before starting the car and following Jackson out of the parking lot. Through the rearview mirror she could see Derek clench his fists before walking over to his car.

****

“This is your house?” Hailey asked Jackson as she climbed out of the car, looking up.

“Yupp,” he said, slamming his door shut and walking up the path to the front door of the house. He unlocked the door and held it open for Hailey. She looked around in awe; the inside was as beautiful as the outside.

“Your parents aren’t home?” she asked, noticing the silence.

“Correct,” he said as he closed the door, a smirk on his face. “We can work in the living room.”

Hailey walked in and set her bag down on the plush carpet. She sat on one of the chairs and watched as Jackson came in, sitting on the other chair facing her. With a sigh she pulled her history book out of her bag and flipped to World War II.

“Would you rather make a poster or a model because I’m sure as hell not making a power point,” she said, flipping to the section on Pearl Harbor, which is what Mr. Parker assigned to them.

“I take it you’re Hale’s mate, aren’t you?” Jackson asked, ignoring her question altogether.

“That’s none of your business,” she said through her teeth.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” he said, leaning forward placing his elbows on his knees.

“Can we please just, concentrate on the project right now?” she asked, grabbing her notebook out of her bag and started to jot down facts.

“Fine,” he said, amusement in his voice.

They worked in silence for a good twenty minutes. At one point Hailey saw Jackson look up towards the window out of her peripheral vision. She turned to look as well but didn’t see anything. She hoped Derek was being careful. Occasionally she and Jackson would look at their phones but to her surprise he really pulled his weight in work.

Suddenly she heard sirens outside. The sound grew louder until the flashing lights shone through the front window and the car stopped in the street outside Jackson’s house. She stood up and went over to the window to see Sheriff Stilinski get out of the car, his partner following him. Another car soon pulled up and two more officers got out.

They made their way around Jackson’s house and Hailey’s heart started to race. She heard Jackson stand up to move beside her, his arms crossed against his chest, a smile on his face. After a minute she saw Sheriff Stilinski reappear, his arm gripping Derek’s elbow as he led him to the car in handcuffs.

“What did you do?” Hailey gasped, turning to Jackson before going to the front door. Following the Sheriff were the other officers leading Peter and Isaac, also in handcuffs.

“Hailey?” Sheriff Stilinski asked when he saw her as he put Derek in the back of his car, closing the door.

“Sheriff, you can’t arrest them,” she pleaded, her eyes shifting to where Derek sat in the car,

“I’m sorry Hailey,” he said, shaking his head. “We got a disturbance call saying there were three prowlers on the Whittemore property.”

“May I ask who called?” she asked, looking up to the house where Jackson stood in the doorway, his arms crossed.

“It was anonymous,” he said, and Hailey could tell he was telling the truth. “We’re going to take them to the station and set bail.”

“Can I talk to Derek first before you go?” she asked, gesturing to the car. Sheriff Stilinski put a hand on her shoulder and nodded his head.

“One minute,” he said, opening the door and stepping away to give them privacy.

“I’m sorry,” she said, crouching down so she could be eye level with Derek. Derek shook his head and looked towards Jackson, narrowing his eyes.

“I don’t know how he did it,” he said.

“I think he might have texted someone,” Hailey said. “Danny or Lydia.”

“That would make sense.”

“I’ll get out of here as soon as possible and head over to the station and get you out of there somehow.”

“Go to the house first,” he said, taking her hand in his two handcuffed ones. “There’s a box full of emergency information, including where our money is. Take Stiles with you, he knows where it is.”

“Okay,” she said, nodding her head. “I’ll be quick.”

“Hailey,” the Sheriff said, putting his hand on her shoulder. “We have to go.”

She stood up and backed away from the car. He closed the door and opened his own. Before he climbed in he gave Hailey a sympathetic smile. Hailey walked backwards towards the house, watching as the two cars drove away. The neighbors that had come outside to see what the commotion was about retreated to their homes. Hailey turned to see Jackson had gone back in the house. With a sigh she made her way into the house but didn’t see Jackson anywhere.

She turned to close the door behind her when someone grabbed her by the wrist and slammed her against the wall. She winced in pain and opened her eyes to see Jackson. He reached over her shoulder and pushed the door closed, keeping a tight hold on her arm.

“Now it’s time to have some fun,” Jackson said, an evil grin on his face. Hailey reached up to shove him away but Jackson was quicker. He grabbed her forearm and twisted it hard. She screamed in pain as she heard and felt a bone break.

“Shit!” she shouted, a tear escaping.

“Just hold still, Miner,” he said, bringing his other hand up to her chin, tilting her head to expose her neck. “This won’t hurt… much.”

“Oh God, please no,” she choked out.

Out of the corner of her eye she could see his eyes were that electric blue and his fangs had extended. He opened his mouth and leaned in close to bite her. Hailey closed her eyes tight and silently prayed for a miracle. All of a sudden the door crashed open, hitting Jackson’s back causing him to lose his grip on her.
Hailey crumpled to the floor, her right hand reaching out to clutch her left arm tight to her chest. She opened her eyes to see Scott grabbing Jackson by the front of his shirt and throwing him across the room. Jackson quickly rose and growled, lunging back towards Scott.

“Come on Hails, let’s go,” Stiles said, bending down to help her up, pulling her out of the house.

“How did you know?”

“I heard the call on the scanner in my house and recognized Jackson’s address. I called Scott and we got over here as fast as possible. Not fast enough apparently,” he said, looking down at Hailey’s arm.

“What about Scott?” Hailey asked as Stiles led her to his Jeep.

“He’s going to… take care of Jackson and then grab your stuff and drive your car over to the hospital,” he said, helping her into the passenger’s side before climbing into the driver’s side.

“The hospital?” she asked, her eyes widening. “How am I supposed to explain this to my Mom?”

“Just… tell her you fell down the stairs?” he suggested, starting the car and making his way to the hospital.

“What about Derek? And Peter and Isaac? We have to bail them out.”

“I know,” he said, nodding his head. “But you come first. They can wait in a jail cell for a couple of hours.”

“He almost bit me, Stiles,” she said, more tears falling down her face as she turned to look at him.

“Yeah,” he said, looking over at her. She leaned over and rested her head on his shoulder. He lifted his arm and gently wrapped it around her shoulders, careful not to hit her injured arm.

“If you and Scott hadn’t shown up when you did…”

“Shhh,” he said, leaning down and kissing her forehead. “The important thing is that we did. Don’t dwell on it.”

“Thank you,” she whispered.

Hailey kept her head on Stiles’ shoulder and closed her eyes. It was silent between them as he continued the drive to the hospital. She concentrated on listening to his heartbeat in order to calm down. Her thoughts kept fleeting back to Scott, hoping he was okay. Every few moments she would wince in pain and hold her arm closer. One more thought entered her mind as Stiles pulled up to the hospital. Derek is going to kill Jackson.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey sorry this took me so long. I didn't realize I whole week had gone by until last night! I didn't mean for it to take so long but this chapter was really hard for me to write... all the filler stuff that is. I'll try to get the next chapter out much sooner than that! Please feel free to leave comments, they really encourage me to write more.

Much love!
~Steph xoxo