Run For Your Life

Run For Your Life Chapter Six

I woke up in the morning, completely surrounded by solid warmth. I looked up to see Steve staring down at me, smiling as he stroked my hair. "You were moaning in your sleep. Were you having a bad dream?" Steve wondered. I shook my head, snuggling closer to him. The door opened suddenly, and I looked up to see Clint standing next to Natasha in the doorway. "Julia." he said quietly. I got up and walked out of the room. Steve lifted his fingers to his lips before reaching them out to me.

I bit my lip and walked away. Clint led me to a meeting room, where Tony, Bruce, Fury, and Thor all sat. Natasha and Clint sat down, and I followed suit. Steve walked in, and then we were all ready for the meeting. Steve took a seat next to me, hooking his fingers with mine under the table. I stared at the group, closing my eyes. Scenes flashed in and out of my eyes.

"Julia, we've informed the other avengers of your situation. We all agreed that it would be best if we called a meeting for the group." Fury started. I opened my eyes, looking around at the table. Steve was staring at me the most intently, and his grip on my hand was near a vice grip. "Can anyone at all explain to me what is going on?" I asked quietly. "I can." Clint said softly. My eyes shot to my brother, and he frowned.

"You weren't supposed to be born. You were supposed to be carried to term, but you were supposed to die at birth. So Mom and Dad, being as they were in Puerto Rico at the time... They were trying to fix you. Ended up finding a healer for you... A witch, of sorts. She did a summoning ritual.... And then you were born. The Phoenix entered you at birth, keeping you alive. But it had been a woman named Anna Lawrence, before you. She died the same day you were born." Clint explained.

Steve's hand clenched tighter around mine. "How old was Anna..." he asked. "71. Born 1922. Died 1993." Fury answered. Steve's head dropped, and he ran out of the room quickly. I got to my feet, attempting to follow, but Tony tugged on my hand. He pulled me back into my seat. "I believe there's more to know, Julia." he muttered. I sat down, and Clint walked out to follow Steve.

"Why is Julia NOW remembering Anna's memories?" Bruce wondered. "I have a theory... But I won't be able to fill you in until another day." Fury finished. He left the room, excusing us. When I left the room, I saw Clint sitting and talking to Steve. I sat down with them, and Steve reached for my hand yet again. It was becoming an instinct to accept it, and Clint smiled slightly at the gesture.

"Tell us about Anna." he asked Steve quietly, gently. "She wasn't a friend. She didn't like me much. We were.. Rivals, really. And she was dating my best friend. But if we were anything, it was not friends. We didn't get along. She fought with me during battles... She was strong. Stronger than most of the soldiers." Steve explained. "Did you know that she was the Phoenix..?" Clint asked. Steve shook his head, looking at me.

"You didn't know about this?" I said. Steve shrugged and got to his feet. All of a sudden, Tony ran into the room, skidding to a stop. "Steve... You're needed downstairs." he panted. Steve and I looked at each other before taking off after Tony. He led us to a room and pulled the door open. "I was down here... And I found this." Tony gasped out.

Inside the room, there was a large chunk of ice. Inside the chunk of ice..... A person. Steve let out a shout, a heart-wrenching, gut-splitting cry, before charging towards the ice and scraping his nails against it. "Steve, calm down!" I screamed, running at him. I tried to pull on his large arm, but I couldn't get him to budge. That's when I noticed that tears were streaming down Steve's face, and audible sobs were escaping his mouth as he struggled to free the person from the ice. "It's Bucky.... It's Bucky..." he kept repeating.

"Steve, don't do that. We have to get him out slowly. Steve, he's still alive." Tony explained. Steve turned around, his eyes red as tears continued to pour out. He threw his arms around me, burying his face in the top of my head. "Bucky DIED. I saw... I saw him die..." he choked out. He fell to his knees suddenly, and Tony worked past us. "I'm going to use a laser to melt the ice slowly and work him into a warm environment. I'll call you when I'm done. Take care of him." Tony told us.

Clint attempted to get Steve to his feet, but he wouldn't budge. "I want to stay..." Steve whimpered, his eyes drifting to his best friend's body. I dropped down to my knees, kneeling in front of him, and kissed the big man gently. "We can stay." I assured him, stroking his hair as I held onto him. "Bucky...." he gasped out.