Run For Your Life

Run For Your Life Chapter Seven

The next few days were extremely intense between Steve and everyone that came into contact with him. He was angry, bitter, sad, all at the same time, but there was also a strong sense of desperation in him. There was a need, and nobody could see it but me. I just wanted to fix that superhero.

I was pacing around the mansion one day, watching Steve sitting at the table, looking absolutely worn out. The door flew open, and I looked up at Tony. “Ladies and gentlemen… James Buchanan Barnes.” Tony stared at us dramatically, then moved away to reveal a man standing behind him. Bucky gaped at Steve, and Steve returned the favor. The two boys (if they could be referred to as such) embraced, and Tony chuckled. “Well, I’ll be damned. We’ve got two living, breathing fossils in our midst!” he joked. I shot a glare his way, and he shrugged. “Should we leave you two to it? I think we should. Come along, Mr. Stark.” I said with a strong dose of sarcasm.

Bucky was staring at me with wide eyes. Before Tony or Steve could make any Anna comments, I smiled and reached out my hand for Bucky to shake. “Julia Barton, at your service.” I greeted cheerfully. Bucky’s lip curled up, and I blushed as I remembered that men from Bucky and Steve’s era probably weren’t used to shaking hands with women. Who was I kidding; I had no idea about the customs of the forties. Steve must’ve noticed my inner turmoil, because he rested his hand on my shoulder. “It’s okay, don’t worry about it. Bucky, this is Julia. Julia, meet my best pal Bucky.” Steve introduced. I was probably the only one who noticed the slight tick in Tony’s jaw, but of course… I just had to comment on it.

“Tony, what’s wrong? I thought you were Steve’s best friend!” I joked. Steve gave me a small nudge, and I giggled. Tony rolled his eyes. “I don’t believe in best friends, because I’m simply the best at everything. Give me a break.” He mumbled. I grabbed his arm and dragged him down the hall, leaving Bucky and Steve alone to catch up. Tony took me by the hand and led me quickly to a room on the next floor, where video monitors covered the place, wall to wall. He sat down by a touch monitor and activated it before tapping several times. “Jarvis, room fourteen.” Tony said. The video appeared to float away from the screen, and I watched as Bucky and Steve showed up.

“So you’ve been frozen, this whole time?” Steve asked Bucky as the two of them sat down at the table. “I’ve been frozen. Isn’t that what happened to you too?” Bucky wondered. Steve nodded, resting his chin in his hand. “I got unfrozen last year… Then I met the Avengers, and it’s all gone crazy ever since… Do you like Julia?” he wondered. Bucky shrugged, leaning back in his seat with his arms behind his head. “She’s quite the gem. Are you knocking boots? You finally lose it to a gal, Rogers?” Bucky said. Steve had been in the middle of drinking from a glass of water that he’d left on the table, and he spat it all out suddenly, sputtering.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Bucky... You know I’m a gentleman…” Steve muttered, resting his forehead on the table. His blush was obvious, and Tony laughed at me as I felt my own cheeks burn. All of a sudden, an alarm started to ring through the mansion. I shot to my feet with Tony, and the two of us ran down to the first floor. The armory. “SUIT UP.” Tony shouted, calling out to the avengers that were spread out through the place. Steve, Thor, Natasha, and Bruce all came rushing in, with Bucky close behind. I started to pull on my uniform, grabbing my bow from the weapons rack before running to the staircase with Clint on my heels.

It was a rare occasion for enemies to try to attack the mansion straight on, but we had several extensive training exercises so that we would be prepared for an occasion like this. Clint took off towards the west wing, and I headed for the east, so that we could take our positions in the small watchtowers we’d created. I crouched down and peered out the window to see the front door getting constantly pelted with a blue zap of energy. I followed the trail of energy with my eyes, and I knew the source before I even saw the person it ended on. My lips formed a small “o”, and I gaped at the figure before us all. “Loki.” I whispered.

He was even more impressive than he’d seemed on the news, when he launched an attack on New York City earlier in the year. Chills ran up my spine, and I grimaced as he turned his head up towards my window, staring right into my eyes. I closed my eyes tight, breathing in and out rapidly, before taking aim and letting my arrow loose. I could practically hear his laugh as the tip of the arrow pierced his skin, and he yanked it out before it exploded suddenly. “Loki, you shall leave this place now, brother.” Thor shouted, walking out the front door. “Do not challenge me, Thor. I will not fail a second time at conquering Midgard.” Loki retaliated.

“This guy just never gives up, does he?” Iron Man said, hovering over the mansion. “I will NOT BE DEFEATED. You WILL BOW TO ME!” Loki screamed, pointing his scepter at Iron Man. Tony’s suit went flying backwards into the mansion. “Son of a bitch! I am NOT paying any more goddamn repairs because of you, you complete moron.” Tony snapped. Loki chuckled, aiming his scepter at Thor. Thor spun Mjolnir in his hand, raising the hammer high above his head. It hit Loki square in the side, and he let out a scream of agony. “I will BE BACK.” He warned before shooting a look back up at me. All of a sudden, he was gone. Just as fast as he had come.