Secret

Secret Chapter Four

“Sabrina, would you kindly go home?” Jim asked his daughter, staring up at her from his desk. Sabrina Gordon shrugged before sitting down across from his father. “Commissioner Gordon; is this a bad time?” a male voice asked. Sabrina turned her head, which caused her to nearly drop her jaw. The man standing before her and her father was absolutely gorgeous. “Not at all, Harvey, come on in.” Jim said. Harvey Dent was tall, blonde, and handsome, and it left Sabrina absolutely floored.

Harvey sat down in the chair next to the twenty-two year old girl and shot a glance at her, cocking his head to the side. “I’m sorry, Harvey. This is my daughter, Sabrina. Sabrina, Harvey Dent. He is campaigning for District Attorney. Sabrina, get lost.” Jim said. Harvey chuckled, offering his hand to Sabrina. She took it, and instead of shaking it, Harvey kissed the back of her hand lightly. “My pleasure, Ms. Gordon. Jim, that’s okay, she can stay.” Harvey said, causing Sabrina to blush. Jim caught his daughter’s reaction to the older man, and he leaned back in his chair. “BLAKE. Come in here.” Jim shouted.

Johnny ran into the doorway of Jim’s office, standing around for orders. “Why don’t you take Sabrina out for lunch?” Commissioner Gordon asked. “Because I hate him.” Sabrina muttered. Harvey caught the remark and laughed, causing Jim to narrow his eyes. Sabrina rolled her eyes and walked to the doorway, sulking. Harvey shot out of his seat suddenly, crossing the distance from his chair to the door in quick strides. “Harvey, what are you doing?” Jim groaned. “What? If she goes, I go. Jim, this is my best friend we’re talking about.” Harvey said dramatically. Jim groaned loudly, and Johnny mimicked the glare that the police commissioner had for Dent.

Sabrina bit her lip, and Harvey winked at her before they both sat down together. Johnny walked away sullenly, completely unnoticed by Sabrina. Harvey pulled a coin from his pocket, swirling it between his fingers as he and Jim spoke about business. Sabrina watched his fingers move, completely mesmerized. When the meeting between the two men was over, Harvey got to his feet. “Why don’t you do me a favor and hold onto this for me, darling, until we meet again?” Harvey offered, holding the coin out to Sabrina. His eyes twinkled, and Jim got to his feet swiftly. “There won’t be a next time, Dent.” The protective father warned, and Harvey nodded. “I’ll be seeing you, Jim. Sabrina.” He said quietly before walking out.
---
“What is your REAL name, for the millionth time?” Darcy said in exasperation. Joker stared at her, his eyes wide. “Joker. Johnny Blake. Sabrina Gordon. Harleen Quinzel. Jim Gordon. Darcy Kane. Bruce Wayne. Oh, you like Bruce, don’t you?!” Joker taunted, noting the shift in Darcy’s body language. She frowned, scribbling down words in her notebook. “What are you writing, Doc? About how you LOVE Bruce Wayne?” Joker taunted. Darcy bit down on her lip, avoiding Joker’s eyes as she continued to write. Suddenly, her radio went off. “Dr. Kane, you’re needed with Jonathan Crane.” A voice said over the radio. Darcy stood up and turned to leave the Joker. “Jack Draper.” The Joker said. Darcy inclined her head slightly in his direction, closing and locking his door behind her before scrawling down the name.

“Crane isn’t my patient.” Darcy told the disembodied voice on the radio. “It’s an emergency, Doctor.” Nurse Jackie told Darcy. Darcy sighed. She had never met Jonathan Crane, nor had she wanted to. The man was a whole different breed of crazy. As she walked down the halls towards Crane’s room, she spotted Charlotte walking down the hall with Bruce, him holding onto her arm. Charlotte had agreed to spend time with Bruce as part of her recovery, and so far, it was successful. Darcy smiled at the two Wayne orphans, and as they passed her, Bruce grabbed onto Darcy’s hand gently. He pulled her against him, slowing Charlotte down.

“Oh, spare me.” Charlotte gagged as Bruce gently placed a kiss on Darcy’s lips. He smiled into her mouth, leaving it at that before pulling away. “Your parents want to have dinner with us tonight.” Bruce muttered. Darcy nodded slowly, and Bruce winked before walking away with his sister. Darcy completed the walk to Crane’s room, and she stepped inside. Crane was strapped into his straitjacket, rocking back and forth with eyes wide. When he saw Darcy, he ceased his rocking. “Doctor KANE, it is a PLEASURE!” he said loudly, a frightening smile spreading over his face. Darcy had to fight showing her emotions, which was pure fear. Jonathan was a criminal, known as the Scarecrow, and his method of torment was to use a fear-inducing drug that caused hallucinations in the victim.

“You aren’t very fond of me, are you, Doctor. Do I scare you, ma’am?” Jonathan asked. Darcy stared him down. “You don’t frighten me, Mr. Crane. I was told that there was an emergency.” Darcy said softly. Jonathan held his hands up suddenly, grinning maniacally. “Oh, there is an emergency, my dear.” He said menacingly.
---
Bruce grabbed Charlotte’s hand as the alarm started ringing through the asylum. “What’s going on?!” he yelled. Charlotte’s eyes widened and she grabbed Bruce’s arm and yanked it behind his back, kneeing him in the small of the back. Bruce grimaced and pulled forward, tugging Charlotte to the front of him. She slapped him across the face, running away towards the Joker’s room. Bruce chased after her, upset by the betrayal, but she managed to sneak through several people in the confusion. Finally, Bruce caught up and grabbed his younger sister, wrestling her into her room and locking her in.

Charlotte started to scream, pounding on her door. Bruce looked around the asylum, when all of a sudden, he saw Darcy being dragged along the floor by Jonathan Crane. Bruce looked back to see Charlotte glaring at him. “Open the DOOR BRUCE!” she screamed. Bruce shook his head, and she let out a blood-curdling shriek. Bruce turned back towards Darcy, his fists clenched as he rushed in their direction. There was a loud “BEEP” out of nowhere, and several screams rang out as the doors to all of the rooms in the asylum unlocked. Charlotte stepped out of her room, smirking, before running off to the Joker’s room. Joker grinned widely. “Hello, my darling! Come back for me, have you?” he chuckled, grabbing Charlotte by the waist. He dipped her, kissing her roughly on the lips, laughing the whole time. Harley walked over to the two of them, her jaw agape as she saw the Joker kissing another girl. “JOKER!” she gasped.

Joker grinned and tugged on Charlotte’s hand, grabbing Harley as well. “Let’s go home, girls!” he shouted, fighting their way through the escaping patients.