Status: In the process of being written =) Stick with me for a great story that may hit some of you a litle closer to home <3

Only Up From Here

You I do Not Trust

As I entered the kitchen Brock sat staring at his plate, John across from him looking at me, and an empty space right between both of them was left open for me. I looked at Shane trying to give an apologetic smile as I sat down. We said a quick and simple grace, they had gotten shorter since my parents were gone, and all started to eat in silence.

“Shane what is it you do?” John was the first to speak.

“I am going to school right now but recently moved to this area with my parents so I spend a lot of time helping them adjust to their new situation.”

“And what is it they do for a living?” And so I knew the twenty-one-question game had begun.

“They are ranch owners as well. Not nearly as elaborate as this but we have about fifteen horses as of right now, still looking to expand.”

“They are just up over the hill right?”

“Yeah not far from here, about a ten minute drive.” He tried to smile. As he did so I started to wonder why I thought he could ever be involved in my parents death.

“You say you are going to school? Was that with Kali Jo?” John used the term in past tense almost as if he knew I wouldn’t be going back.

“Yeah I am, I am majoring in business as of right now but we will see if that sticks, still sort of exploring my options.” Shane’s eyes feel to my own and I couldn’t help but to look apologetic again.

“Thinking of taking over the family business?” I sent a wicked glare across the table jabbing Brock with my foot as I did so, his eyes however never left Shane’s face.

“No. At least not yet but building one of my own may be a future endeavor.” He took a bite again looking at me for help.

“So, uh, how are the horses doing? I know Starlight and Rain have been a little stir crazy did you get them out for a run today?” Neither Brock nor John’s faces left Shane’s.

“Yeah I took them out this afternoon, they seem to be a little more relaxed when I saddle them so at least they seem to be getting used to me. However, tomorrow you may want to take Carmen out on your own tomorrow when you get the chance.”

I looked Brock, “Why? Is there something wrong?”

Our eyes connected and I knew there was more underneath what he was saying but I couldn’t seem to piece it together yet. “No, I just think that she needs you around her more now more then ever. She seems to need to know who cares about her and who is just the help.”

I stared at him wondering if what I thought he was implying was really the case. “Oh, I will go out with her tomorrow. Maybe you would want to join me on Rain or Starlight?” The question was directed toward Brock.

“Yeah, I can do that.” He smiled at me and then grinned at Shane, almost as though to say I told you so.

“Well, you should let me know when you go. I could join on Boss, he really seems to like Carmen.”

I was still staring at Brock when I felt a light kick under the table reminding me Shane was there. “Uh what was that? Sorry sometimes I go into my own little world.”

“If you would like I could join you and Brock tomorrow? Boss really likes Carmen I think.”

I looked from Shane to Brock and back again, “Yeah I think we could do that.” I smiled at them both, “It will be fun.” I stressed the word fun more for a reminder to both of them that I was going to be friends with both of them.

John sat quietly looking from one of us to the other. He didn’t have to say anything I knew from his body language that after seeing what Shane was like that he had a bad feeling about him as well. I just didn’t know if that was good or bad.

“So, John how long have you worked here?” Shane was clearly trying to be nice, but was it just a cover?

“I have been here for almost as long as I can remember, going on around thirty years now? I was here the day this little girl was brought into the world.”

I felt my cheeks blush a light pink, “John has been here through everything.” I smiled towards him, “He’s like a second dad to me.”

John reached over and kissed my hand, “I love you sweetheart.”

“That’s amazing. What about you Brock? How long have you been around?” There was a smirk that crossed his face.

“I just started.”

“But he’s doing an exceptional job.” That was the first real nice thing I had heard John say about Brock.

Under the table I rubbed my foot against Brock's to show him I thought the same without tipping off Shane, “Yeah he is still learning though.” I figured it would do me well to not always side with Brock or sing him praises.

“Brock were are you staying while you are here?”

There was a long pause between all of us. None of us had talked about what to say when asked about the living situation. I cleared my throat after a few minutes finally speaking, “He will be staying in my old room after I settle into my parents room.”

John looked at his plate, Brock stared at me, I stared at Shane, and Shane glared at us all. “You’re joking right?”

“Why would I be?” I took insult that he asked.

“You barley know this kid.” Now Shane’s eyes fell to mine, “He has helped you through a difficult time, does that really mean you should let him move into your house?”

“Excuse me?” I pushed my chair back and stood. “I believe that since I am the women of this house I make the decisions, you are a guest and I barley know you but that didn’t stop me from inviting you into my home. If you have a problem with my friends,” I looked from John to Brock, “Or my family then I think it would be best if you leave now.” With that I stood and walked out of the house.

Brock’s POV

As Kali left the house I watched as John’s face went twenty shades of red and his eyes glared at Shane across the table. I glared along with him, wishing to follow Kali instead.

“Shane I think that you best leave.” John was the first to speak.

“I think I will walk him out John.” I stood waiting for Shane to stand as well. When he didn’t I walked to the door to wait for him.

“I’m sorry. I was out of line. I have no say in how you live your lives. I am just worried about Kali, I want to keep her safe as much as you do John.”

“Son, I think you better get the hell out of this house before I make you .You have no idea what it means to worry about that girl. You yourself barely know her. I however know not only her but also the young man standing in my doorway. Considering I was a friend of his grandfathers I know a great deal about him and his family. You however I know nothing about, you I do not trust.”

With that John headed out the door as well.

John new my grandfather, how was that even possible? I glared at Shane as he came to put his boots on.

“I am sorry Brock. I didn’t mean to offend you or anyone else. You understand don’t you? You obviously care about Kali, you can understand my worry?”

“You are right I do understand about caring about Kali, she has become a great friend to me. You however did offend her, for whatever reason you did. I am not sure why, I was quit against moving into her home as I thought the same as you.” I lied, “You need to apologize to her. She will forgive you, she likes you Shane you just need to give her time.” I struggled to say nice things to this man.

“I will go apologize right now. I am sorry I thought you two where more then friends, I was jealous when I heard you were living together.”

“We are not really living together, she just needs someone else in the house, kind of like protection. John is to old and to attached to move into the house.” I never clarified that Kali and I were only friends. “I think it would be best if you apologize tomorrow, it will give her time to calm down.”

We headed out the door and walked down towards the stables where Boss was waiting, I started to saddle him up shockingly Shane helped. “OK. I’ll apologize before the trail ride we go on tomorrow.”

“Yes, the three of us will have a great time.” Shane stopped to stare at me.

“You are really going with us?”

“She originally only asked me, you invited yourself along. Just remember that.” With that I turned and walked into the stables hoping to find Kali waiting inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
This part is a little longer since I made you guys wait! Hope you enjoyed!!! Working on the next chapter already!

Kali Jo