Status: In the process of being written =) Stick with me for a great story that may hit some of you a litle closer to home <3

Only Up From Here

Bad News Travels Fast

As I walked next to Brock I tired to keep a small conversation going but it was difficult when he was glued to his phone.

“Who are you so busy texting?” I figured I mid as well cut to the chase.

“Oh um- well my girlfriend.” Figures cute guy like him has to have a girlfriend.

“Really? What’s her name?” Now I was just trying to be nice.

“Kelly.” He again checked his phone.

I was at a loss of what to say so I just continued to walk and as we got to the library I was more then ready to be home riding Carmen with Shane. I mean I was helping this guy out and he couldn’t even bother to hold a conversation with me.

“What about you?” I stared at him with questioning eyes. “Do you have a boyfriend?”

I laughed a little, why did he care? “No I don’t.” Short and sweet.

“That’s surprising.” He said it in almost a whisper.

“What does that mean?” He glanced at me as if he didn't realize I had heard him. As we reached the computers I stared at him my eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

“Well that Shane guy seemed interested, and I mean come on, a girl that looks like you doesn’t have a boyfriend?” His cheeks turned a light pink at the realization of what he had just said.

“Shane and I just met to be honest. He’s a sweetheart so we will see what time brings.” I mentally slapped myself for giving so much personal detail.

“Well, I bet he is a great guy.” He reached for the paper that I had just sent to the printer, “Thanks for doing this by the way.”

“Yeah no problem I guess-“ My cell phone went off looking at the caller ID I saw it was John. He hated to use the phone. “I need to take this hold on a sec.”

“Hello?” I listened closely to Johns quiet voice, “What?” As he spoke I could feel my hands start to sweat and my heart speed up.

“Do you want me to come home or go straight to the hospital?” I waited and tears filled my eyes, “OK I will meet you there.”

I closed my phone and started to run out of the library. I had to go. . . I had to go NOW! I ran to my truck I had completely forgotten I was in the middle of a conversation until I opened my door to see Brock running behind me.

“Kali wait! KALI!! KALI JO STOP!!!”

“What!” He was holding my laptop out to me. “Thanks!”

I jumped in to my truck and he just stood there with a dazed look on his face. He obviously knew I had gotten bad news. As I turned the key my tuck turned over did a small idle and then died. What the hell was going on? Turning the key I pumped the gas a little this time, only to receive the same result. I popped the hood and jumped out, I did NOT have time for this!

“Kali do you want me to take you to the hospital?” Brock looked like he may regret his offer but at this point I didn’t care.

I slammed the hood looked him over once, “Please? I mean I can work on my truck a little but I am not sure if it would help and I just really don’t have the time to work on it right now-“

“Kali I get it, Lets go.” We all but ran to his truck parked a few rows down from my own.

I got in and told him to take me to the hospital by my house. As we drove he sped knowing this was a pressing matter but not actually knowing what had happened. I cried, to be honest it made me feel like a fool. To cry in front of someone I had met moments before under the already odd circumstances and then the fact that my truck just broke when I had never had problems before.

“Can I ask you what happened Kali?” We were only thirty minutes into the hour and a half drive when he broke into my thoughts.

“Um, well my parents were in some kind of accident and-“ I burst into tears. To be honest I didn’t know any more then that, John had not given me much to go on.

“Hello?”
“Kali you need to come home now there as been an accident. Your parents are in the hospital and you need to get there now.”
“Do you want me to come home or meet you at the hospital?”
“Hospital. Kali you need to be prepared for anything at this point. I love you baby girl and I will see you there.”


Then the phone went dead with so many questions still running through my own head.

“Hey Kali it will be OK.” His foot pressed harder onto the accelerator. “Ill get you there and who knows maybe it will be a miss understanding.”

He did get me there and dropped me off right at the doors of the emergency room, “Thank you so much Brock I owe you more then class notes from now until the end of eternity.” Before he could answer I slammed the door and ran through the double doors.

“Hi I am looking for Brady and Rebecca Lewis.” I stared at the receptionist who was, in my mind, taking forever.

“Kali Jo baby girl!” I looked over to see John as he all but tackled me into a bear hug.

I pulled away quickly pushing him into arms distance, “How are they? What happened? Are they going to be OK?”

“They were out driving when a few people on horses crossed the road. The people didn’t look when they started to cross and some how, I’m not sure how but your dad swerved or something to miss them. They went down the embankment on County 5 and ended up rolling the truck and hitting a tree or two I think.” Tears filled my eyes; that was the same road my brother had been killed on just last year. “

“Where are they John? How are they?” His voice cracked as he looked at me and my heart stopped. “John you NEED to tell me.” He looked down at his boots and scuffed them on the floor. “JOHN!” People turned to stare at me as my anger grew, at this point though, I didn't care I only wanted answers.

“Baby girl, your mom’s in surgery there is bleeding in her brain. Your dad-“ He started to sob and I knew, deep down I knew, my dad was gone.

“Say it John, say it so I will believe it.” Anger was taking over me again.

“He’s gone sweetie. Your dad is,” He again sobbed, “Dead.”

I broke down, I feel to the floor in complete shock even though I knew before he had even breathed my name. I felt someone pick me up and set me on my feet. Thank god we had our own personal room. I heard John say, this way, and I felt my self being helped into a quiet room and set on a couch. Someone sat next to me and after a moments hesitation put their arm around me and pulled me close.

They combed their hands threw my hair, “It’s going to be OK.” Was that? No it couldn’t be, “It’s going to be OK.”

At the sound of his voice I looked up to see Brock looking down at me. I didn’t know what to say so I said nothing at all. I just turned and let him hold me while I cried. Cried and waited. I always thought bad news traveled fast and this was taking forever, so that must mean good news . . . Right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright thanks for the few people who have been reading. Sorry I am off to a little bit of a slow start but here was a big step for this story. I know it was fast but I wanted to have that Kali and Brock connection. Hope you enjoyed! &lt;3