Status: Mutant and proud.

X-Men: New Wave

What Skill?

"When will she wake up! It's been weeks!" I heard a man's voice hiss.

I was coming out of the darkness again. I kept drifting. From one reality to the other. I feel as though this is the right reality though. Something just feels more real and I can smell something. Medicine and that hospital smell.

"She'll wake soon." I think that was Professor X speaking, "In-fact, about now actually."

At the end of his sentence my eye's were open and I could see blurred lights and then faces. Faces, finally. Logan's face was darker than I remembered, he seemed in some sort of distress. He lunged forward to look at me then backed off a bit. Prof. X just seemed happy to see me and smiled kindly at me.

"Now, Riley, there are a few changes since you've been gone. Unfortunately Pilar has decided to leave us. That was after the first week of you being under and she couldn't take it any more..." he suddenly seemed distant and couldn't look at me, he was regaining the strength to carry on, "She's gone away to a friend of mine, she had some mental issues of her own and needed the break. But we hope to pair you up with someone new soon."

There was a brief moments silence. I think it was meant so I could take it in, but it wasn't the most shocking news of my life. I breathed in and then let out a surprising sigh.

"So, how long was I..." I couldn't find the word in my mind for some reason, probably the 'sleep', "in a coma for?"

"You've been in that state for three weeks. I suggest you lie still and don't sit up for a little longer, or at least until we can verify that the stitches are healed up enough." Professor X informed me and I remembered how I got here.

After a while they both left, without a word. I was in a room alone for a few hours until a medical member came to check my stitches. Her name was Jean. She didn't talk much and she quickly checked my stitches, like she had a better place to be - well I guess I wouldn't be thrilled about checking an adolescents abdomen.

"Your fine." she snapped her gloves off and began walking away, "That means you can get back to your dorm room now. Your friend Bobby's out-side to take you back there."

She left and I climbed out of bed with some pain as I grabbed my jeans from one of the three plain white chairs. I quickly got dressed into my regular black skinny jeans and a leather jacket, that I don't remember owning. No shoes or socks though. I guess bare-foot it will have to be.

As I touched the door handle I realised how little attention I was paying to the room and how I was completely missing details. For example, I thought the room was a completely blank white and as I turned around I realised it was a magnolia with a large painting above my bed, which was of the sea-side. Then it struck me the white chairs were more grey and had blue legs. Something was up. For now I'm going to blame the drugs, or whatever I was put under.

The door opened without my touch, for a moment I was confused then I realised in my day-dreaming state I had used my mind to open it.

"Riley!" Bobby shouted from beside door, I hadn't noticed him but I think that was just part of the side effects, "You're still looking good." He gave me a wink and held out his hand.

It was then I realised that he was kind of holding me up, the pain had just surged and I was feeling a little bit faint.

"Thanks." I managed to get out, my throat suddenly feeling sore.

Bobby was just telling me what had happened over the past three weeks, with Pilar having a break down and then Logan having a break down too, it seemed to be eventful and a lot of people were going through something's with the complications experienced during a mission.

"Ah, you're home." He smiled and opened my dorm room door, "It's not the same dorm room, this one has more space. As you're going to be sharing it with some one soon. Don't look so annoyed! I wish I could have a roomie...Ok, no I don't but it's an experience!"

"I hate your positivity." I muttered as I walked in and turned to face him, "Goodbye."

"Goodbye. Hope you feel better soon." he cheered as I closed the door - I didn't close it in his face don't worry, he had walked away so I couldn't have the satisfaction.

-Later that Night-

I had heard about Logan's breakdown and assumed that's why everyone was whispering while I walked passed and why so many people stared at me. I knew what I had to do. By this point in my day-dreaming state I was already walking to his office, where I was told he'd be by someone. I can't remember who I asked, these pills were really messing me up.

I knocked on the door three times quickly. Stepped back and waited for the door to open and to be faced with the reality of the situation. I waited at least three minutes and I tried the handle. It opened. The floor was cluttered with paper work and the desk had many claw marks in it. I couldn't see any sign if Logan but for some reason I had stepped in any way. I noticed his laptop was on the top of a pile of paper work on the floor. I picked it up - it might be a tripping hazard or may get broken. Before I knew what was going on I was sitting in the office chair starting up his Laptop. What the fuck was I doing! My mind was shocked at what I had done but my body didn't seem to react. Damn drugs.

The password screen came up and that was the point I decided to give in and walk out of the room. I closed the door behind me and tried to think of where he might be. I wandered the halls and look for any sign of life. It was at least 12 am by now and all the students were either sleeping or in their rooms. I realised how blurry things had gotten so I rubbed my eyes.

After removing my hands I found myself in the middle of one of the gardens.

"What the fuck?" I said bluntly to myself.

Then continued to walk around the dimly lit area. Trying to find a place that was familiar. I tried to stay 'awake' by poking my abdomen, so far it was working. I had passed a few trees on the grassy path and felt lost. I couldn't see the school from where ever I was. Then I heard something. An engine. I thought it was a car so ran towards it - still poking my ribs and stomach just in case. I must've looked like I'd escaped from the mental hospital. The noise stopped and I just fell to the floor cross legged - still poking. God knows what time it could've been!

"You shouldn't just travel around these woods, kid." I heard Logan's voice from somewhere.

I couldn't see in the darkness. I searched all around me and continued to poke at my scars.

"You should also not be poking your wounds." Logan appeared out of the darkness from right in front of me, I didn't stop poking.

"I need to talk to you. Ignore the poking, it IS necessary, trust me." I began, "Well, I've heard you had a...little break down." at this point he shook his head, "What? Was it really bad, because I'm really sorry about everything."

"No!" He suddenly shouted, "It's not that. I didn't what everyone to judge you or to even tell you. I mean come on, kid. You are annoying but I don't want people to think you are the freak that tried to send me into a down wards spiral by siding with an enemy mutant."

I looked at him with a mix of emotions and looked down, "DAMN!" I shouted, I saw him jump slightly.

"Sorry, stopped poking." I whispered as I resumed poking myself, "Anyway, I didn't side with him, he used me as a human shield and you accidentally stabbed me...AND I have been unconscious for three weeks. My over dose was only one week!"

He kept staring at me poking myself and looked at me like I was crazy, "Hey! I'm causing pain for a good reason. That sounded better in my head. Anyway...I keep having black outs, which is why I'm here, ever since I started prodding my wound I haven't blacked out. So it's all good, eh?"

"Shut up and follow me." Logan demanded, "We are over two hours away from school and I'm guessing you can't run that fa..." he stopped mid-sentence, staring at my feet.

"What?" I questioned and then looked down.

"Where are your shoes and socks?" my lack of foot ware wasn't helping me prove my sanity.

"I wanted to be at one with nature." I joked, "No, but seriously I don't think I ever put a pair on. If I did I don't remember. Anyway onwards."

"Your feet are covered in blood." he seemed calm and just continued to stare at my feet.

"Oh great." I said with relief, at which point he looked at me as if I'd lost it, "It means I can stop poking my ribs now!"

"Oh."

We walked at least half an hour in complete silence. I was beginning to feel like I was zoning out again.

"So." I started, "I just wanted to apologise for my mischief that caused all of this and I just want to say. I think I've paid for it in advanced...But I guess school isn't going to be a piece of cake from now on. I'm going to have a lot of attention."

"Actually people don't hate you." it was quick and sharp, but it was a start, "They think I need to be dumbed down a bit and put on surveillance."

"Well that's stupid. I think that you were trying to do something heroic and, although you failed epicly, the thought was there!"

He seemed to be both pleased and upset by what I had said. I needed to think of something else to say!

"Hey, when I flattened my Rodey," at this he looked at me with wide eyes, "he forgave me because I had saved him from getting shot in the head. All because my actions were intended for positive reasons! What I'm saying is I don't blame you and I'm kinda thankful because these drugs have been doing wonders for my adventurous side. Could you please say something because I can feel my vocal chords becoming a little dry and I haven't had liquids in three weeks."

"Well. Do you want some of this?" He stopped and pulled out a bottle of clear liquid.

As we had stopped I began tapping my foot, "I'm guessing that isn't water?"

I took the bottle and he began walking. I took a shot and realised it might not have been a great idea due to the three weeks of no eating. Oh well. Actually it didn't taste a lot like vodka.

"Yeah," Logan started, "It's not water, but it's not alcohol either."

I passed out, but was still semi awake. So I could feel Logan pick me up and begin to walk. I also heard him mumbling to himself.

"Can't believe...and to think...Xavier added her...not the first time I drugged a teammate...need to get back...damn Xavier..." then he stopped talking and I was put on some kind of chair.

I was becoming more conscious now. I heard them (Xavier and Logan) talking about me being on the team and my skills. What skills?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there! I'M LOOKING FOR A NEW CO-AUTHOR interested?
Also, if you spot a mistake can you point it out for me please ? ;D

Thank you and I hope you enjoy!