Status: Mutant and proud.

X-Men: New Wave

The Animal

As I looked at myself in the mirror, I could hardly recognized myself anymore. A lot has changed these last few weeks. The blue in my hair was fading, I wore a jumpsuit that I was given, and I no longer wore colored contacts to hide my trademark yellow eyes. That wasn't the only thing different about my eyes. They were colder. I guess that tends to happen when you nearly kill your mother and your ex-boyfriend thinks you are a freak. But most of the world thought that about people like me nowadays. By people like me, I mean mutants.

After my boyfriend called the cops on me, I knew it was time for me to leave Chicago. I hid out in the alleyways of New York City, living as mostly a cat or dog. It tended to be easier than showing my true self. I hated it still. I was angry because I was reduced to eating trash and stealing whatever I needed because the world was so damn unaccepting. I started to hate my gift too. What had once seem like my saving grace was now my curse. It had cost me everything. Unable to hold in my anger any longer, I smashed the vanity mirror, tears streaming down my face. A girl with silver hair and a large man burst into the room. I looked down in shock at my clenched, bleeding hand. The girl opened her mouth to say something, but she wasn't quick enough because I immediately turned in a hummingbird and flew as fast as I could out the room. I managed to make my way outside when someone opened the door. After landing in a tree, I changed back to my human form and tried to pull myself together. There were bits of glass in my hand so I started pulling them out. As I was doing this, the silver hair girl floated up to the branch I was sitting on. I guess I should of been surprised at her doing this, but I refused to look at her. I rarely ever cry and I was pissed that a floating girl I hardly know saw me to do it.

"Are you ok?" the silver haired girl had a British accent which normally I would love, but honestly I just wanted to be left alone. After I didn't respond, the silver haired girl introduce her self. "My name's Riley or I guess my Xmen name is the Manipulator, but I think it's kind of lame."

"Can't you just leave me alone?" I snapped and that's when my claws came out. I wasn't interested in making friends here. All I wanted was to learn to control my powers and get the hell out of here.

Riley looked taken aback and scoffed at me. "Fine. But just so you know, you aren't the only one who had a tough time before they came here. So when you are ready to stop acting like a bitch, come find me." Then Riley floated away.

I heaved a sigh. I knew it was bad of me to be so mean to Riley, but I just needed time to think. Unfortunately, the only thing I thought about was what Riley said about that I wasn't the only one who had a tough time. I wonder what she went through. It must have been as bad as I went through by the way she said it. So I decided my pout fest was over and hopped out the tree, landing as graceful as a cat. It didn't take me long to find Riley because she was still outside our room talking to the man that came in with her before.

There was something animalistic about him but I couldn't put my finger. However, I could tell because I knew I had the same quality, especially before I changed. I wonder if he changes into animals too, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. As I approached them, I tried to make myself not look as pitiful as before. I looked at Riley and I knew I had to apologize if I wanted to get along with her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be such a bitch. It's just that I'm frustrated at the world and I'm sorry that I took it out on you because you didn't deserve it."

The man and Riley exchanged looks. Then Riley looked back at me "I suppose I'll forgive you." then she gave me a smirk.
I gave a half smile back "Thanks."

"All right. Enough with all the sappy stuff and let's get to work. This is Logan, by the way" Riley gestured to the man. Logan nodded at me.

I couldn't hold back my curiosity longer. "What's your power?"
He didn't say anything, instead long metal claws came out of his knuckles. My eyes widened. "That is so cool!"

"Ok. I float in mid air and it doesn't even faze you, but Wolverine here whips out his claws and you are all crazy about it?"

I simply laughed. "Sorry. I guess I expected a telekinetic when I came here, but he is something else entirely."

She dramatically sighed "The telekinetics never get any love. Anyway, Logan and I will be training you while you are here, but that won't start until tomorrow. Right now, I am going to give you a tour of the mansion and then we will go shop for some new clothes for you. Once we get back, you will meet Professor Xavier."

"Sounds cool." I tried to be chill, but I was a little nervous about meeting the professor. He was probably going to want to talk about things I just wanted to forget. As Riley led me away to show me around, I waved goodbye to Logan and tried to focus on what Riley was telling me.

We had almost toured the whole mansion, which is gorgeous by the way, when we passed a couple in the gardens. One was a cute, brown haired boy who sat laughing with some girl. I caught Riley looking at them and there was a hint of jealousy in her eyes. After nudging her, she turned to me. "Oh that's Bobby, but I call him Ice Boy" Riley said nonchalantly. She tried hard to hide her true feelings, but I knew better.

"You like him don't you?" I smirked at her.

She glared at me in return "Don't be ridiculous. Come on. We have to go buy clothes for you." She led me out of the gardens immediately.

I laughed. "I'll let it go for now, but you can't avoid the subject forever." Riley rolled her eyes at me.

We returned a few hours later from shopping for new clothes and hair dye. Unfortunately, I had to wear sunglasses the whole time to hide my eyes, which probably made me look just as strange. Luckily, I found some really awesome band t-shirts and bought some more blue hair dye. While I shopped, I told Riley about my band The City Rioters and the exhilaration of being on stage performing. She thought it was really cool and told me I should teach her some drum beats sometime. After telling her about my band, it made me really miss it and reminded me that they probably already have a replacement for me. The thought made me sick and it didn't help that I was going to have to talk about what happened that night between my mom and I to the Professor.

Riley led me to his office and told me that she see me at dinner and floated off. She likes doing that a little too much. My palms were sweaty as I opened the door. When I looked inside the room, a bald man, who I assume to be Professor Xavier, sat behind a desk.

" Ah. There you are. Please sit and make yourself comfortable." Xavier spoke, but it wasn't aloud instead it was in my mind. I was immediately taken aback. He noticed my look of shock and told me aloud "There is no need to be alarmed. If you don't wish me to look into your mind I will refrain from doing so." At first I was angry, but I knew I couldn't be rude to everyone I met. Professor Xavier just wanted to help.

I tried shrugging it off like it was no big deal. "It's fine and thank you. I'm not entirely comfortable with strangers sifting through my mind." I settled into a chair in front of his desk.
"Now Skylar, I know this might be too soon to talk about the dispute between you and your mother, but I believe it may be vital to helping you learn to control your anger."

I sat there mulling the idea over in my head then I had my answer. "No."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey I am the new coauthor. I hope you like my new character Skylar!