Status: Mutant and proud.

X-Men: New Wave

The Beast Within

I walked into my new joint room and ordered take out. Chinese was my favourite right now. I waited for Skylar to make her way back from the Professor, as training had just ended and I wanted to find out if I had any extra powers so I was doing a variety of tests that wore me out. I was still angry due to the fact Ice Boy had chosen to publicly humiliate me - wasn't fun that the schools cheer squad mock my name and say how pathetic I was when I floated. The burning sensation was too much. Way more realistic, as if there was actual fire on my hands. I looked in the mirror. My eyes had huge pupils and then came a rapid knocking on the door.

"Riley!" it was Jean, but she was too late, an inferno had exploded from my body, a wave of heat that melted the mirror.
I ran to the door and opened it, "Hot!" was all I could manage before she hit me with some chemicals.

"Well, it appears that your manipulative powers are growing." Jean sighed, "It would appear that you now work on a molecular level and can even change yourself, like your eyes. You can change your genes, your size as well. It appears that you are much more powerful than we first thought. I've scheduled you for more training with Logan and Scott and a meeting with the Professor to look through your mind."

With that she ticked the paper on her clipboard and shifted to the next person down the hall. I caught my breath just as soon as Skylar came around the corner, Logan followed with the Chinese on his claws.

"So I hear that it's a little more than just flying you've unlocked." Logan smirked and handed me the chinese, "Oh and I guess that training on a professional level can be deadly but we'll see how you go."

It kind of sucked that my powers weren't basic, it was hard enough being an English outcast and with new powers that could change genes, was I really in anyway normal anymore. On the upside I can cook without fire now. I sat down to listen to Skylar gossip about Ice Boy and what she had seen.

"So he was with some girl, she was in some kind of uniform, and they were both looking a little sheepish. It was so cute, I think they are going to be perfect." She taunted me, knowing that she could push me to tell everything.

"How about I just tell you what has happened so far?" I asked, she nodded, "Well I first came here and a new Mutant, Pilar, had also joined so we were classed as partners, she had weird powers that make you hallucinate. Then I met Ice Boy and we used to hang out all the time, but I met Gambit - a super cool poker play but a complete back stabber - who used me as a human shield and Logan stabbed me with his claws. Pilar left, Ice Boy saw me as a freak because I suddenly started developing these powers, some of which can be deadly. While I was in a coma he found a new girl and they hit it off. Understand?"

She just nodded but I was more interested in the rice and sweet and sour sauce. Lovely. I watched her eating a chicken and a question sprung into my mind, "Doesn't eating meat kind of make you a cannibal?"

Skylar looked at me and tried not to laugh, "Only if I am that animal I guess."

We had general chit chat for awhile, I moved some things with my mind and floated for a bit and she turned in to a cat, dog and horse. We had great fun. I'd almost forgotten about Ice Boy and his new girl. But it was still haunting my otherwise blank mind.

--The Next Day--

I heard laughing all around me as I walked to my first basic lesson. I hated this. I had Skylar on my side but she wasn't really aware of all the eyes on us and I didn't want to tell her. I was worried that I might turn all the water vapour into liquid or create some kind of deadly molecule. I had managed to get as far as halfway when the bitchy girls approached us.

"OMG!" Bianca started, "Look at these losers!"

They all laughed, Skylar still didn't take notice she just sighed.

"Don't you think you should just stay in dog form?" One of the others said, "I mean you can't look much worse."

Another round of laughing, Skylar looked up and still had her glasses on.

"And the other one." a girl with an uncomfortably high pitched voice began, "She should just leave, she's scared away Pilar and scared Logan! Besides Bobby told us about the fact she killed all her friends!"

That's when they started chanting, " Murderer! Murderer! Murderer!"

Suddenly Skylar was a massive beast. I think it was a dog of some sort but it didn't matter, one roar and everyone scattered.

"Skylar! Riley!" A voice bellowed in my head, "To my office now"

I told Skylar I was sorry and thanked her, she just shook her head, "It's not your fault and I wanted to test out my power anyway, it's been almost 24 hours."

She fixed her glasses back on her face and we walked passed shocked people.
♠ ♠ ♠
New Chapter! Hope you all enjoy reading my new co-authors chapters as much as I do!