The Bully's Sister

Home

The words exploded in her ears. Gryffindor. A Malfoy was a Gryffindor. She would be a disgrace to her father, it would be another excuse for him to hate her. She had let her mother down , it would be so much easier for Jane to be a slytherin, Narcissa would have to deal with Lucius’s outrage. Draco would he even associate himself with her? Would he just ignore her? Would he bully her or had she just made his life a lot harder , having a Gryffindor as a sister would this just subject him to taunting , and Blaise would he ever talk to her again , how could they ever be friends with him and his family having such high views and prejudices.

The whole hall was silent, the usual applause that came with the sorting was non existent , no one knew what to do , even some of the teachers looked puzzled. Then a loud clap broke the eerie silence, Jane turned around to see a man with a long white beard who she presumed was Professor Dumbledore clapping and smiling, soon all the staff joined in and the clapping soon built up . Jane eyes searched for her brothers, his grey eyes looked shocked but he looked at her and smiled, this brought a heavy weight off her shoulders she knew she had Draco. Professor McGonagall said to her “Go and sit with your house dear.” Jane nervously walked down the stone steps to the Gryffindor table and watched the rest of the sorting.

Once the last student had been sorted, Professor Dumbledore welcomed them and then said something that created a more tense atmosphere in the great hall “ As you will all be aware after their search on the Hogwarts Express, our school is currently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban , who are here on ministry business” a sea of whispers soon broke in the hall , most people seem scared and curious. To Jane they were just another bad thing in the world that were only powerful because they cause fear. He then went on to say how you should not give a dementor any reason to harm you and that it is not in their nature to be forgiving, Jane almost sniggered it was as if Dumbledore had given a description of her father. He then on a lighter note informed of new staff changes he then finished with “ Well, I think that’s everything of importance , let the feast begin !” Suddenly the tables filled with every food possible Jane thought the house elves at the manor were good , she then felt a pain in her stomach as she remembered Dobby her beloved house elf had been set free by Harry Potter . She missed the elf even though it was better for him to be free as he had always wished. She wasn’t eating very much , she couldn’t, she had to find Draco and she needed him to tell her that everything would be ok. The whole hall was a mix of noise ; laughter, talking and the clattering of cutlery . She looked down the table everyone was laughing and giggling, catching up with friends. This is what she had expected , what she had wanted from coming to Hogwarts, she had only two friends, maybe one now. People everywhere were giving her dirty looks, some looked suspicious and she heard whispers of “ what’s she doing in Gryffindor?” or “I bet she’s a spy”, “Do you think she’s meaner than her brother?” and some even looked scared off her and flinched away. The plates soon disappeared much to Jane’s pleasure and Dumbledore told them it was time for bed. She heard the prefect saying “new students follow me.” Jane took this as her chance to find her brother , she saw his silvery hair and walked to him where he was surrounded by his followers , they all gave Jane dirty looks even the Pansy girl who wanted to be her best friend earlier looked at her like she was a piece of rubbish “oh look every one it’s the blood traitor” the pug faced girl leered. Draco’s head snapped around and his eyes connected with hers and he could tell she just wanted to run away, he took her hand and pulled her into a small corner of a corridor where she broke into tears and clung onto her brother “Hey, hey it’s ok” he said soothingly stroking her hair “Why are you being nice to me , everyone else hates me?”
“Because you’re my baby sister and I love you and I’m going to support you no matter what , and not everyone hates you”
“Oh who doesn’t?” she asked sarcastically
“Well Blaise for a start”
“He doesn’t hate me?”
“No why would he hate you , he worships the ground you walk on, hey don’t worry about being a Gryffindor , I’d always knew you’d be one.” Jane thought about what he had said and realised she did have all the attributes that accompanied a Gryffindor, she was kind and didn’t care about blood status, she stuck up for what she believed and who she loved, she was brave enough to become a death eater if it meant keeping Draco and her mother safe, but then she could speak to snakes a slytherin trait so powerful it should have automatically placed her that house, she was also powerful , but then again being powerful wasn’t subjective to a certain house. She did agree with Draco she was the perfect Gryffindor, she didn’t have a bad bone in her body. “I suppose so , but it makes things so much harder”
“I know but you’ll get through it , you’re strong, the whispering will die down in a few weeks when there’s new gossip and if any one says anything to you tell me their names alright”
“ No that’s not nice you can’t just hurt people just because they said something mean to me and anyway that’s not all I’m worried about , Dad is going to kill me”
“Well he won’t kill you mother won’t let him he’s going to be pretty angry , you’re going to have to come up with something to convince him to let you stay in Hogwarts and you forget that you have mother and I to protect you, nothing’s going to happen you , I promise”
“I know I’ve already come up with something” she was about to continue when they heard a click , click of shoes against the stone floor and someone came up to them “Now, now miss Malfoy I won’t have someone in my house crying over something that is not actually a problem, you have no broken limbs, no one you love has died , now Professor Dumbledore has asked for your presence in his office , your parents have arrived.” Professor McGonagall said to her “now say good night to your brother.” Jane hugged Draco tight, who kissed her on the forehead and whispered “try not to answer father back that much, it doesn’t help” she whispered back “you know I can’t help it , good night , I love you.” Draco merely nodded before putting his hands back into his pocket and walking down the silent corridor. Professor McGonagall gestured for them to go and they soon reached gargoyle and the professor said “Fizzing Whizbee,” the gargoyle spun round revealing a set of stairs “well off you go.” Jane stepped on and began to ascend to her doom. She knocked on the headmaster’s door “come in, ” she entered the room to find her father shouting at professor Dumbledore “it’s an outrage , it must have made a mistake, my daughter cannot be a Gryffindor, she’s a parselmouth for god’s sakes,”
“Ahh miss Malfoy , how nice of you to join us” Professor Dumbledore said interrupting Lucius’s rant , Jane felt a hand on her’s and she looked down to see her mother sitting quietly, as per usual , on a chair holding her hand . Professor Dumbledore then focused his attention on Lucius “Now Lucius , the sorting hat never makes a mistake , being a parselmouth does not mean you are destined for slytherin , Jane will do very well Gryffindor”
“ Excuse me ,Professor Dumbledore would it be okay if I had a quick word with my parents”
“Of course my dear,” and he left his office without another word . Lucius then began shouting at her “How dare you get into Gryffindor ,you have brought disgrace to this family”
“Father you know I would never dream of being a Gryffindor”
“Then why are you one?” he interrupted her
“If you’d let me finish, it has been my plan all along to get into Gryffindor , to make friends enough with Potter so that he entrusts me with his secrets and plans and when our lord returns I will be able to give him every little detail , which will in turn make our family even more powerful,” Lucius was processing it in his mind, Jane was hoping he would be stupid enough to believe it. “Very well , I can see your point, you are however only to gain Potter’s trust”
“Believe me father I will not be not going near anyone who I cannot get personal gain from” Jane said “I especially will not be not going near those pathetic mud bloods and blood traitors” She added giving her best Malfoy smirk. “Very well we’ll be off ,come along Narcissa”
“You go I will join you in a minute” Narcissa said quietly , Lucius left leaving the two women alone . Jane gave her mother a hug and a smile “I’m so proud of you standing up to your father, being in Gryffindor not so much, but I’m sure you will excel in everything you do, I love you” she then left .

The door then opened and Professor Dumbledore entered his office “everything ok?” he questioned
“I guess you could say that,” Professor Dumbledore sat behind his desk and gestured for Jane to take the seat opposite him. “ Now what is troubling you?”
“I just feel that when you are sorted you should be happy when you get put in your house, but I wasn’t , the minute that hat said ‘Gryffindor’ , a million things rang through my head and none of them good”
“Many of the things we think are not good , young one, you will be happy in Gryffindor you may have to wait a bit longer than everyone else but you will be happy, now what did you say to convince your father to let you remain at Hogwarts?”
“I told him that I would be spying on Harry to give information to Voldermort, but I will never actually do that I promise sir”
“You are very clever for your age Miss Malfoy”
“Thank you”
“May I ask is Voldermort back?”
“No but I have no doubt he will return and when he does I will have to do anything to protect my family”
“You are very brave , you remind me of someone but the name has slipped my mind, must be old age , what is interesting that you say name his name , I only know of a handful people who cam say his name without flinching”
“It’s just a name sir , it cannot do me any harm, Professor , the lie I told my father , in the years to come may I use it again?”
“Of course my dear , it will be essential in your survival, and I have no doubt that you will not betray Harry , now it’s time for bed off you go, Professor McGonagall will take you to your common room and remember it does not do well dwell to consider what other’s think of you , just stay true to yourself.” Jane exited his office and descended the stairs and was met by Professor McGonagall who led her to the fat lady’s portrait and told her the password was ‘Fortuna Major’ and they then went to the scarlet and gold room, it was quite late so everyone had gone up to bed, Professor McGonagall turned to her and said “ the password means greater luck, quite fitting don’t you think,? Now go up that staircase and go through the door on your left and your dormitory will be there and your bed will be the empty one , all your belongings will be there , good night”
“Thank you and good night” Jane replied back , Professor McGonagall gave a nod and swiftly left the empty room leaving Jane alone . Jane found her room and saw four other girls sleeping , she couldn’t wait to see their faces in the morning when they found out they were sharing with the dreadful Jane Malfoy. Jane changed into her pyjamas and brushed her teeth and got into bed. For the first time that day she could think about her and she realised that she couldn’t be more happier being in Gryffindor.She felt more at home in Gryffindor than she ever had at the manor.