Status: Contains strong language and violence. Sequel maybe???

Haunted

And They Said Speak Now

My eyes snapped open for what must have been the hundredth time that night. Usually I’d have given up long ago and gone to see Ryan but it would be my wedding day when I woke up so I was trying to restrain. Now though, it seemed I had no choice. Every time I did drift off, it was into an uncomfortable twisted nightmare. Each night it was the same yet each night it was a thousand times worse. I silently got changed, glanced at Liam who was still fast asleep and then left. It was the early hours of the morning which meant it was freezing cold but that didn’t bother me. It would be worth it.

The next time I woke up, it wasn’t such an unreasonable hour. It was seven thirty and Liam had already left. He was getting ready at the best man’s house. I quickly got up and showered; the bridesmaids were arriving in half an hour. “Hey I’m so excited,” Elisha shrieked, giving me a hug.
“I know, I can’t believe it’s actually happening.” Elisha squealed like a child before dragging my seven year old niece Tia into the house. They were wearing red taffeta gowns and I was wearing a white full length gown embroidered with flowers and small white beads. We helped each other curl our hair and do our make-up. I wasn’t usually a perfectionist but this was special, everything had to be as it should. It didn’t help that we had people knocking on the door every five minutes to deliver bouquets, corsages or gifts. “You look like a princess,” Elisha smiled as she placed a tiara on my head.
“Thank you,” I grinned, feeling tears form in my eyes.
“Are you going to be okay?”
“Yeah,” I said, forcing a laugh. Elisha knew what I’d been through. She knew everything and she’d stuck by me through all of it. Sometimes I’d wish I was Elisha. She was beautiful, funny, confident, outgoing and it seemed like the smile never left her face. Then again, there was no reason for it to; she was happily married with a two year old son. She had a job that she enjoyed and it paid well and she lived in a big house in the city centre. “Alright then, let’s make a move,” I muttered. Tia lifted the hem of my dress so it didn’t drag on the floor and we got into the car so Elisha’s husband could drive us to the church.

The music started playing and Tia walked down the aisle, followed by Elisha. This was it. I was next. My heart was racing; no one was here to give me away. I didn’t speak to my parents anymore. It wasn’t so much Ryan that caused them to turn on me but more how he came about. I dragged my mind back to the present; I was about to marry the man of my dreams. My parents didn’t matter. Taking a deep breath, I put on a smile and walked slowly down the aisle. Liam turned round and smiled at me. I smiled back. He clasped my hand as I joined him at the altar and the vicar greeted everyone. Elisha came to the front to do a beautiful reading, followed by the best man, Matthew. The ceremony continued and then the vicar said the words.
“If anyone has any reason these two cannot be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace.” I held my breath, glancing nervously around the room.
“I do actually,” said a voice that made my heart stop. I heard a few people around the room gasp or cough, some even laughed.
“What are you talking about?” I choked my voice barely audible.
“I think you know perfectly well what I’m talking about.” I racked my brains. Oh god, what had I done? He couldn’t know about Ryan. Even if he did, he wouldn’t confront me like this. Oh god, oh god, oh god.
“Baby, don’t do this,” I whispered. I could feel everyone’s piercing stares on us and my face turned bright red.
“I am, and you can’t stop me. Ladies and gentlemen, I’m sorry but I think Danielle has a confession.”
A lump formed in my throat. What was he talking about? I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping I would wake up in my bed and find out this was another one of my disturbing and vivid nightmares. It wasn’t. “Liam stop it.”
“No, you didn’t really think you’d get away with this did you? Did you really think I would believe your lies? I’m not an idiot.” I looked at the guests, who were all gazing round the room, not really sure what to do with themselves. I knew how they felt. I caught Elisha’s eye and she gave me a quizzical look. I shrugged. “I haven’t done anything.”
“There you go again – lying through your teeth. The hushed midnight phone calls, sneaking out in the early hours, the other day when you said you were at work! I went to the hospital to give you some lunch and they said you weren’t due in until Wednesday.” Tears started to well up in my eyes. “It’s not what you think,” I begged.
“Oh really? What about last night huh? I woke up and you had gone. You’ve been cheating on me haven’t you?” With that, Liam turned and walked out the door. Tears streaming down my face, I rushed out after him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eeeeekkkk. So excited for you guys to read this. xoxo