Status: Contains strong language and violence. Sequel maybe???

Haunted

Don't You Worry Your Pretty Little Mind, People Throw Rocks at Things That Shine

I groaned as I opened my eyes and sat up on the couch. It was eleven thirty. “God, why didn’t you wake me?”
“Sorry, you were exhausted.” I reached my arm out and picked my phone up off the coffee table. Seven missed calls: five from Liam, two from Elisha. I dialled Elisha’s number and she picked up instantly. “Danni, where are you?” she shouted. Shit. Where was I? I had gone to a stranger’s house and stayed the night, yet I didn’t even know his name. Shit, I’d been such an idiot.
“I’m okay, I’m at a hotel,” I lied. The guy I’d stayed with gave me a quizzical look so I waved my hand at him, signalling for him to go away. “Try telling that to Liam, listen, I need to speak to you,” she said.
“I didn’t cheat on him if that’s what you’re thinking.”
“No, I know you wouldn’t do that,” she sighed, “Meet me in the pub at half three, yeah?”
“Yeah,” I said, hanging up the phone. I wasn’t usually blunt with Elisha, or anyone for that matter. I was just confused and worried and hurt. I didn’t know what was happening with Liam. I knew for a fact though, the majority of people from the wedding wouldn’t speak to me again. “So now my place is a hotel?” he laughed.
“What else was I meant to say? I met this guy in a graveyard, I don’t know who he is but I stayed at his place last night.” He laughed.
“Well I’m Alexander Ludwig, you are?” he reached out his hand. Fuck! This was Alexander Ludwig, singer and star of the Hunger Games, the guy who the majority of teenage girls were hung up on and I’d just said I don’t know who he is. Oh crap.
“Shit, I’m sorry.”
“Nice to meet you, shit, I’m sorry.” I smiled.
“You probably think I’ve been living under a rock. I’m just a little out of it at the moment.” He laughed again.
“Oh no, don’t worry. I understand.”
“I’m Danni Hayward.”
“So Ryan’s your son?” he asked quietly. I nodded. “You don’t have to talk about him if you don’t want.”
“No it’s fine. He um…well he died…obviously. It was when he was nine days old.”
“I’m so sorry,” Xander said.
“It’s not your fault.”
“What about that Liam guy, have you spoken to the police?”
“No, it was an accident.”
“He accidently hit you?”
“Well obviously it wasn’t like that. He’s not like that at all; it was just one of those spur of the moment things, you know?” I exclaimed, suddenly getting panicked. He didn’t say anything. “What about you? Do you just go round picking up girls in graveyards? Or are you one of those ‘Good Samaritans’ or whatever?” He laughed and shook his head.
“No, I don’t usually do that. I felt bad just leaving you there in the rain with nowhere to go.” I shrugged and looked down at the floor. “This Liam, he’s a…” he sighed, “A really lucky guy.”
“Not really,” I said, forcing a laugh.
“Do you not see?” I shot him a quizzical look. “You’re one of the most beautiful girls I have ever met.” I stared at him for a minute before he leant forward and kissed me gently on the lips. I pushed him back.
As much as I wanted to, I couldn’t. What was I saying? I didn’t want to – I had a boyfriend…fiancé… husband, call him what you will.
“I’m sorry,” he said quietly.
“It’s okay,” I muttered, standing up, “Everything’s just so messed up right now. I’ve gotta face my family and friends, I’ve got to sort stuff out with Liam and I need to get my stuff. Oh god, Oreo.” I tried not to let the tears fall but it didn’t work. Xander wrapped his arms around me and we sat in silence for a minute. “It’s okay. I can buy you some Oreos,” he laughed.
“My dog, stupid” I joked, bringing up a picture of her on my phone. “I’m gonna have to go get her. I’ll put her in kennels for now or something.”
“Don’t be silly; she can stay here with you can’t she?”
“No, I’m not staying here. You can’t just put your life on hold for me.”
“I’m not. Honestly it’s fine.”
“I’ll sort something out.”
“Okay.” We sat and talked about stuff for half an hour or so before I decided I really needed to go to pack up my stuff.
“I’m not sure if I wanna do this,” I mumbled, terrified to see Liam again.
“Why?”
“I’m not sure if Liam will be at home.”
“Do you want me to come with you?”
“Would you?”
“Sure, we’ll stop at Isabelle’s on the way, she’ll lend you something to wear and then we’ll go and get your things.”
“Isabelle Fuhrman?”
“You know her?”
“I don’t know her personally. I love her though, she’s amazing.” He laughed.
“Come on then.”

My heart was racing by the time we got to Liam’s. Thankfully he was out, but I was still scared. Isabelle was even nicer than I’d imagined her to be. I felt terrible turning up, borrowing some clothes and then leaving, especially since she didn’t own an item of clothing under fifty quid. Still, Xander said he’d talk to her later and she seemed totally okay with it.
“You ready?” he asked. I nodded and we got out the car and headed towards the door. Oreo dashed down the stairs and into my arms. “Hey girl, how’s my princess?” I smiled, giving her a hug. Apart from the leftovers of a Chinese take-away and half a dozen empty beer bottles which I assumed were from the previous night, the house looked exactly how I’d left it. Typical Liam not bothering to tidy up after himself. Xander must have thought my house was a shit hole, now I think about it, his house was really nice and immaculately tidy. What else would you expect though with him being world famous?
I went upstairs and started packing all my things into bags randomly, just trying to get out as quickly as I could. Oreo was sitting on the bed, probably wondering what the hell was happening. Xander went to take a couple of bags out of the car which we’d parked just round the corner, while I carried on packing.
“What are you doing?” I jumped and whipped round to see Liam standing in the doorway. I didn’t say anything; I just started trembling with fear. “You can’t leave,” he said.
“I told you I wasn’t cheating and you didn’t believe me,” I said simply, not even bothering to look him in the eye.
“Because you were lying,” he said, raising his voice. I prayed for Xander to hurry up. “You’re not going anywhere.” I flinched as he gripped my arm roughly.
“You can’t stop her.” I sighed with relief at the sight of Xander but it quickly turned to horror when I realised what it must have looked like. “You said you weren’t cheating huh?” Shit, why did I think bringing Xander was a good idea? He stepped towards me menacingly and I knew what was coming next. What had happened to him? Where had this come from? He would be stupid if he did it, when Xander was there to witness it. He tried anyway, but Xander got there just in time. Just as Liam raised his hand, Xander got him in a headlock. “Let her get her things and go,” Xander said calmly, before releasing his grip and giving him a shove. Liam looked down at the floor, rubbing the bridge of his nose. Liam suddenly rushed forward and threw a punch at Xander who quickly ducked. “What is wrong with you?” I screamed at Liam. Xander grabbed my bag and I grabbed Oreo and we rushed outside.

“I am so sorry, are you okay?” I apologised once we were in the car.
“Don't be sorry. It’s not your fault. He’s the prick.” I shrugged. We drove back to his house and I changed into something of my own before walking to the pub with Oreo.
“Sorry I’m late,” I apologised, joining Elisha at the table she was sitting at in the pub garden.
“No, it’s okay. Are you alright?”
“Yeah thanks, you?”
“Yeah.”
“What is it you wanted to tell me?”
“Liam’s been round my house all of yesterday looking for you. He wants me to tell him where you are.”
“Ohmigod, I’m so sorry.”
“Babe, it’s not your fault. What’s going on with you two?”
“I don’t know,” I dropped my head in my hands, not wanting anyone to see me cry.
“You didn’t tell him did you?” I shook my head. There was no point denying it; she knew me too well.
“I was going to, I didn’t know how though. I just…” I trailed off, not really sure.
“Oh god, what Liam was saying: were you with Ryan?” I nodded. “Babe, you need to see someone, this isn’t normal.”
“What am I supposed to do? Be happy about it?”
“No, I’m not saying that. It’s been three years though, you don’t get over it but you learn to live with it. It’s understandable that you’re still upset but if it’s stopping you from getting on with your life, you need to see someone.”
“I’m fine, honest.”
“Okay, well at least come and stay with me, I don’t want you stuck in some hotel forever.”
“I wasn’t actually at a hotel.” I quickly filled her in on everything that happened, but obliged to staying with her anyway. As much as I wanted to, I couldn’t just move in with Xander when I barely knew him.
“Ohmigod, you stayed with Alexander Ludwig, I swear he’s that guy from the Hunger Games.”
“I know. He’s so nice though.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I've edited previous chapters a little bit but nothing important so it's not worth reading them again, unless you want to :p

Again, thank you for reading. This is my favourite chapter so far. :D :D xoxo