Sequel: Brings Me Home
Status: Rating is 'R' for language!

Takes Me Back

A Bargainer.

Come on, Lee-Lee!” I called to her. “It’s your birthday!”

“Which means I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to do,” she said from the pier. That day, July 17th, 2001 was Leah’s 14th birthday.

“Leah,” I whined.

“I’m older than you, Jordy,” Leah taunted. “Suck it up.”

“Jordan,” Eric laughed at me. “Let her go.”

I frowned, but nodded anyway. My older brother had a way of convincing me to do things I didn’t want to do, just like Leah usually did. Eric was almost 18, Marc had turned 15 in January, and Jared would be 11 in just over a month. I was stuck being ‘younger’ than Leah until September.

Leah watched the four of us goofing off from her spot on the pier for another 20 minutes before I decided to try convincing her to get in again. I swam over to the wooden structure and pulled myself up.

“What do you want now, Jordy?” she asked without opening her eyes.

“You’ve got to be getting hot,” I smirked.

Leah sighed. “If I get in, will you stop badgering me about going to that stupid party tonight?”

Leah was a bargainer.

“Yes!” I assured her. “If you get in right now, I won’t go either. We’ll stay at the house and have a movie marathon.”

“You and your brothers are working on the farm tomorrow,” she reminded me.

“So what?” I shrugged even though she couldn’t see. “You can come too.”

“Why would I want to work in a sod field the day after my birthday?”

“Because you love me,” I sang poorly. I leaned over her so the wet droplets would drop off my skin onto hers.

She jumped at their cold temperature. “Dammit, Jordan.”

“Oooh,” I teased. “You swore. You’re already wet, just get in.”

“I wasn’t wet until you started being an ass,” she frowned as she began to roll over onto her stomach.

“I don’t think so,” I shook my head and snatched her up into my arms. Despite not even being 14 yet, I still had a good 6 or 7 inches on her and dozens of pounds.

She started to squirm. “I swear to God, Jordan Lee Staal, if you throw me into that water…”

“You’ll what?” I asked.

“I’ll… oh, Jesus,” she groaned as I held her over the water. “Please don’t.”

“Well since you said please,” I lied and began to set her on her feet.

“Thank you,” she sighed as her feet made contact with the wood.

“Not!” I yelled and began to push her back. She yelped and grabbed onto my shoulders, dragging me in with her.

“You suck, Jordan,” she sputtered as we resurfaced. “You really suck.”

I flashed her my crooked smile. “You love me.”

“If only that weren’t true,” she laughed. “Come on, your brothers are laughing at us.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!