Broken Strings and Broken Dreams

How close is close enough?

"Come on, Madi. First day of Senior year, here we come." I said to myself as I sat in my car in the student parking lot. I was early. Not too early but just about as early as I like being on my first day of school. I guess it was just my way of prepping up to deal with snotty teenagers for 5 hours.

I really shouldn't complain. I mean, it's not like I actually talked to any of them anyways but sometimes they just made me want to smash my head in. "Alright," I whispered. "Let's get this over with."

The door to my Honda Civic swung open and I climbed out of the driver seat. Shutting the door, I grabbed my backpack and threw one strap over my shoulder, seeing other kids arrive. Quickly grabbing my violin from the back seat, I shut and locked my car before making my way to the building.

There was a list on the doors telling you where your homeroom was according to your last name, and I quickly found mine. There were only a few people here so far but I could hear the buses arriving and I knew that kids would be filling the building in just a matter of seconds. I was right because in 30 seconds, the hallways were filled with 'Oh my gods!' and ridiculous gossip of what did who over the summer.

It was difficult getting through crowded hallways with a violin strapped on your back. You have to be careful even though it's in a case and that gets really hard when you have kids shoving past you on purpose.

I tried to avoid what I knew was coming but I winced when a shoulder came im contact with mine, shoving me back a few feet, receiving a 'watch the fuck out' in response. I just rolled my eyes, nodding, before finally turning into my homeroom, seeing that there were only 2 other kids in the class so far.

"Madilynn! Good morning! How was your summer?" My homeroom teacher and old English teacher, Mrs. Mclean, asked from her desk and I just shrugged.

"It was alright. I finally got my second job." I said, mainly because that's really the most exciting thing that's happened to me over the summer.

She smiled, wrinkles forming by her eyes and I noticed that her hair had grayed a little more since I saw her last year. "Well that's good sweetie, I wish you good luck." She said and I nodded in appreciation before making my way to a back corner desk.

By the time the bell rang and Mrs. Mclean starts handing out our schedules, I was already doodling in my brand new notebook. I heard the door fly open and I looked up to see a boy with light brown hair standing in the doorway, breathing hard like he just ran here.

"Nice of you to join us Mr. Gaskarth, take the onlu empty seat please." Mrs. Mclean said, handing him his class schedule before moving on and handing me mine. I looked back down at my notebook when I realized that the empty seat just happen to be next to me. It didn't bother me.

Alex Gaskarth had been in at least one of my classes since the 7th grade and I'd grown used to it. Granted he'd end up a seat or two away a lot of the time. Suddenly, I heard a 'thunk' and my heart shot into my throat when I looked down to see Alex and my violin both on the floor. I was grabbing the case before I really realized it, putting it on top of my desk before zipping it open to inspect it.

If it was broken, Alex Gaskarth would be paying me a hefty $800. I opened the case ony to see that my violin was indeed alright and I sighed in relief when I saw that there were no cracks or dents.

"It's alright, right? I didn't break it?" I heard from my left and I quickly looked over, remembering that Alex had fallen too. "I'm sorry I tripped on it. I should probably really start looking at my feet when I walk." He continued as I kind of just stared at him.

"It's alright." I responded, closing the case and placing it where it was before Alex took his tumble. "Are you okay?" I askes even though I was a little bitter that he almost broke my violin.

He smiled at me and nodded and I swear to God that I heard someone growl from across the room. I finally made the move to look at my schedule and sighed.

Calculus with Mr. Harris
Physics with Mrs. Hall
Adv. English Literature with Mr. Ray
P.E with Mrs. McShay
Lunch
Music with Mr. Freddie
Teachers Aid with Mrs. Hendricks


"I'm Alex Gaskarth." I hear him say from next to me and I glanced up at him. "I know." I said, looking back down to my paper, moving it so I could just doodle more. "We've went to the same school for awhile now." I explained once I realized that I'd sound like a creep.

I heard him clear his throat and I looked over at him seeing him look at me like he expexted something of me and I remembered that he wouldn't know my name like I knew his.

"Madilynn. I sat in front of you last year in Chemistry. You copied my papers everyday." I said Nd I saw his eyes widen before a light shade of pink shaded his cheeks. I raised my eyebrows at him but the bell rang so I dismissed it before putting my notebook into my backpack. I kept the schedule in my hand as I put the strap to my violin over my shoulder, standing up.

"Thank you for my A, by the way." Alex said right as I began to walk away and I just turned to him and shrugged before walking out of the classroom and to my locker that I now had a code to.

-----------------------------------------


3 hours later and I was just walking into the girls P.E locker rooms where I could already hear all the giggling girls. Alex had ended up being in my Physics class too, and we had ended up lab partners, so I guess you could say he was excited to find out that he'd pass this class for sure now.

But when we were told to go into the gym to meet up with the boys I definitely didn't think I'd see Alex standing with two other boys. We were told that we were allowed to hang out with them as long as we listened for our names but I just ended up going to the uncomfortable bleachers.

It wasn't but a few minutes before my name was called and I raised my hand hoping she'd see it because my voice would be too quiet. I saw Alex looking around from the corner of my eye and then I felt someone staring at me and I looked over only to see Alex waving around frantically for me to come over there.

No way that'll happen.

I just ignored it, laying back on the bleachers to get somewhat comfortable as I hummed softly to myself. I hope I didn't come off as a bitch because that's definitely not something that I wanted to come off as.

"Madilynn?" I heard and I jumped, looking over to see Alex and both of his friends Jack and Rian next to him and a few feet away. "Why are you over here all by your lonesome?" Alex asked.

"Lonesome? What the fuck is that?" Jack laughed making Alex tinge red again. Alex punched him in the arm making Jack laugh harder before letting out a 'ugh'. I wasn't exactly sure what to say and I guess Rian saw that because he cleared his throat, both boys falling quiet.

I've known Rian for quite a few years. We got partnered up in English my freshmen year, also a class I had with Alex. We weren't actually friends considering that was the last real time we actually talked but since the project we had involved personal things about ourselves, he learned quite a bit about me and I about him.

"How have you been Madi?" Rian asked, sitting down next to me as Alex and Jack followed suit.

"Okay," I mumbled, fidgeting with my fingers. I wasn't used to this. If people had to talk to me they usually didn't keep talking to me.

But I ended up spending P.E with them and then was nearly dragged to lunch by Jack, who insisted that I'm his best friend because I can play the violin. Even though he'd never heard me play. But then he looked at my schedule and squealed and I jumped back at the sudden noise in my ear.

"Oh my fucking God, we all have music together. My heart is swelling with happiness and rainbows." Jack exclaimed and my eyebrows shot up. Another class with them?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to update as fast as I can. I'm not used to writing fanfiction but I wanted to do it, so I hope you guys like it.

Title credit goes to MakeDamnSure - Taking Back Sunday.