Broken Strings and Broken Dreams

Still I will always fight on for you

"Oh you better shut the fuck up!" Anabelle laughed as we sat at the local diner, my work. I wasn't working today so being here wasn't that bad since I was the one being served. Alex sat next to me in the middle of the old red leather booth while Anabelle sat next to me with Delani and Zach on the other side of her. Jack was on the other side of Alex throwing french fries at the booth next to us occupied by a teenage couple.

Rian and Kara sat on the other side of Jack as they tried to ignore Jack's squealing. A loud echoing squeal errupted from Jack as a french fry he threw flew into the young girls soup causing her to stand up in rage.

"You immature lousy pig!" She screeched and we all covered our mouths. The boy, while both being obviously younger than us, looked scared and I saw the girl look down at him expectantly. The boy looked from her to us and cleared his throat before standing up.

"I, uh, I forgot my wallet at home and I have to get back anyways so I'll, uh, I'll just see you at school." He rambled before basically running out of the place.

I looked over at Alex. "What?" I asked as we all looked at the girl. She was pretty, probably 14 years old, and she had tears in her eyes. I almost felt bad for her.

Almost.

"You fucking asshole!" She yelled, drawing others attention as we gaped at her. "You ruined my date! You stupid ignorant fucking jerks!" She was breathing hard, like she'd just run around the block.

Jack said something first, of course, and of course, it wasn't appropriate. "I didn't know 12 year olds were allowed to talk like that."

Steam exploded from the girls ears as she just up and stormed out of the place. Jack stood up. "YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR YOUR FOOD!"

I covered my face. If I get fired, remind me to hurt Jack first. Alex laughed from next to me and bumped my shoulder making me look at him.

"Calm down, he's calming down now." Alex reassured me and I heard a loud thud and then Jack yelp, pulling his leg above the table. "I said shut up!" Anabelle laughed again and Jack grumbled something we couldn't hear.

The subject quickly changed. "So, when are we going shopping for homecoming dresses?" Delani asked and my eyes widened. Homecoming?

I let off a small shrug that Kara and Anabelle mimicked. "We don't even go to the same school." Jack stated and she shrugged.

"That doesn't mean we can't go shopping together. Ours are on the same night this year so it's not like it's out of the way." She explained and I grimaced.

But then again, I didn't know if I was going in the first place. I mean, it's not that I didn't think that Alex would ask me to go, it's just that I'd never gone to one, ever.

"Wait, we don't even know when homecoming is, how do you?" Anabelle asked and Delani grinned.

"You forgot that I'm student body president this year and I'm helping plan it and stuff. We just had a meeting about how we can't book the same entertainment and stuff. It's a Halloween dance since we had to hold it off so long for testing but it's on November 12th."

Today was October 18th. "That's almost a month away!" Anabelle exclaimed and Delani shrugged.

"Which is why I'm talking about dresses! We already know before everyone else! We should take advantage of that and get a dress before all the good ones are gone." I frowned.

"We have a little over a month though. That's a long time to just hold a dress." I mumbled and Alex nudged me. "Oh okay, yeah, just say when." I cracked causing Alex to grin.

"Next weekend. We can finish the planning later because we have to go." Delani said, standing up. Zach threw a $10 bill onto the table before he stood up as well.

"Dinner with her family." He informed us and we looked at them.

"You just ate...and it's noon." Alex stated and Delani rolled her eyes. "Ah, the old fam night." He suddenly said and I quirked my brow at him.

Rian must have saw my confused state because he quickly explained. "Delani's mom is nuts. She orders these like 5 hour long family nights where they play board games, talk, and eat. If you're invited you have to go or else her mom goes-"

"Batshit." Jack finished.

"My mom is not batshit!" Delani defended and Alex stood up from his seat.

"Your middle name is Olga! Who names their child Olga?" Alex teased and I coughed. My grandmothers name was Olga.

Delani flipped him off. "William, I'd watch what I let out." Delani threatened and Alex shrunk back. "Like when you peed yourself in my backyard because a mouse ran out from your shoe."

Alex turned tomatoe red and I bit my lip. "That was the 7th grade, it was my first time at your house, and I didn't know you had a pet rat!" Alex whined and we all began laughing now.

Delani and Zach said their goodbyes before it was just Jack, Rian, Kara, Alex, and I.

We'd been sitting here for 2 hours now and my legs were getting restless. "I'm gonna head home, okay?" I whispered to Alex and he looked down at me.

"What's wrong?" He asked and I shook my head.

"Nothing, I'm just bored of sitting here. I should probably catch up on the house cleaning anyways." I said, standing up. "Just stay here and hang out with your friends." I smiled and bent down to kiss him lightly on the lips.

I bid my farewells to everyone else before I made my way out of the diner. Lucky that I had driven myself here from school, I found my car and quickly made my way home, to see my dads car in the driveway and another parked in front.

When I made my way into the house everything looked just like I had left it. I could hear the TV in the livingroom going so I walked forward to see it empty.

Making my way into the kitchen, I expected to see anything else but what I did see. I definitely didn't expect to see my dad and another woman. They weren't doing anything but standing across from each other, each holding a glass of wine and smiling at each other.

But that was enough to have me sniff, signaling my presence, and run up the stairs to my room.

My dad was with another lady. Another lady that wasn't my mother.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here you go! Comment and subscribe, please!

Gifts and Curses - Yellowcard